Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Current flavor of the month in dropper posts
  • Lakes_Puma

I need a new dropper post for a new frame I have 2 reverbs on other frames which I am happy with but wondered is there is anything else out there I should be looking at?

Yetiman
    Free Member

The Bike Yoke Revive and One Up droppers seem to be popular at the moment. I just bought a 175mm KS Lev carbon which I’m really happy with, coming from two Reverbs myself.

deadkenny
    Free Member

BikeYoke Revive perhaps. Claims to solve the maintenance issues Reverb has and is user serviceable.

strike
    Free Member

Fox Transfer – had mine since October 2016 with no issues, very high quality and good action.  So impressed that I replaced the Reverb on my other bike with another Transfer post.  The Reverb was becoming more temperamental, requiring more and more attention and bleeding was such a faff.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Reverb for me.

Tried KS Lev, too much side to side at the saddle nose.

Tried Raceface Turbine, user serviceable but annoying need to reset frequently.

hot_fiat

The latest reverb lever for 1x is fantastic.

martinhutch

Claims to solve the maintenance issues Reverb has and is user serviceable.

Hmmm

I have yet to find a trouble-free dropper. The Revive has killed a couple of rides by the internals coming loose at the wrong moment, and it still needs ‘reviving’ a bit too often for my liking. Lovely action when working though, and yes, you can take it apart and fix certain issues rather than having to warranty it.

I’d be trying the One-up at the price they are.

Simon

Been using a Brand X XL since last October and I’m very happy with it.

stevextc
    Free Member

Quite honestly anything that’s not a reverb ….

Mine was just temperamental…. forever needing bleeding and the bushes and keys needed replacing and all in all looked like costing me more to fix than buying a brand new one…  (they were £200 at the time) ….

IMHO a seat post shouldn’t be taking more maintenance time than forks or shock…

In the end is was XMAS and my mum as dual was asking what I wanted…. the Fox seems lustworthy but was a bit above the price and the kid (for reasons of his weight) has a Thomson…. which worked out cheaper (though didn’t pay full price)… the remote’s a bit crap for a £300 dropper but the dropper itself is everything the Reverb wasn’t….

Had it not been XMAS though I’d probably have gone something cheaper and maintainable.

I’m curious as to the on-ones… though they weren’t around at the time.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I really like the look of the OneUp Dropper, it’s a lot more adjustable than most if you want say a 155mm dropper not a 150 or 170, it’s well priced, cable operated so no messing with bleed kits, remote looks good and comes in all sorts of mounting options., good reviews.

I just don’t know anyone with one yet.

My Shimano Pro Koryak has been perfect for 2 years now, but as it’s so close to a Brand X, which is cheaper and longer, I’d probably go with that.

JAG

I have a Brand-X Ascend II dropper post.

It’s been in/on my bike for about 3 months and it’s been ridden several times; Warwickshire, around Skipton and Cannock Chase.

So far it works great – smooth action, returns quickly and the lever is nicely positioned for my bike (with a front mech’).

Minor complaint; it has a little rotational play. About 2-4 mm on the nose of the saddle – so not much really.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

After TF tuned told me to consign my reverb to the grave I took the plunge and stumped for a Magura Vyron V2 as I got fed up with the external routing.

I like it a lot though I do need to send it in to check out the reason for it not responding on the first 2 button clicks on an initial start.

qwerty
    Free Member

Brand X – it’s not a performance item like a fork, just needs to go up & down. For the price it’s hard to justify any other.

chestrockwell

I have a Reverb and Fox Transfer. Buy a Transfer, they’re very good.

submarined
    Free Member

I’m not that impressed with my Brand X XL tbh.

Yes, it’s very cheap, but it’s creaked from new, which I could put up with, but it’s not developed about 20mm of sag, I think I’m going to have to try and warranty it.

Northwind

I really, really like my Revives. Bottom line for me is, the point is to drop the seat, more drop is better and though 170mm is pretty damn good, 185mm just takes it up that little bit further to the point where for me there’s almost no compromise at all. I’d quite like to try a 200mm, if I’m honest… But I definitely wouldn’t go back to 150mm now for a trailbike, any more than I’d have gone back from 150mm to 125mm.

(I was lucky that I got a good insurance payout for a stolen Reverb, then got the first Revive stolen too, then got another one on the insurance, then got the original Revive back and the insurance company said I could keep it! I’d never have been able to spend so much on posts otherwise, I’d be happy enough on Reverbs overall. Especially since I learned how to fix the sag issue.

TBH it now feels pretty weird to me that shorter posts can still thrive. Or bikes with stupid long seatmasts for that matter.

iainc

have had reverbs, incl with the new 1x paddle, and Giant droppers.  Now have Fox Transfer posts on both bikes, with Wolftooth LA remotes.  Original one is 18 months old and just had it’s first service at Silverfish, though it was working perfectly.  Great posts IMO, esp with a Wolftooth remote.  Pricey though..

joolsburger
    Free Member

KS Lev Integra on my bike has been perfect for 2 years with literally no maintenance. No play that’s worth mentioning and been in plenty of mud and water. I don’t clean it with anything but a dry rag once the mud’s dried.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I wish I’d kept my Reverb. Sold it after it’s first warranty repair in nearly two years of faultless service.

It’s replacemebt Revive has been back three or four times in two months (I’ve lost count). I’ve no faith in it at all now

I must have had six or seven Reverbs and they’ve all lasted well. If I had to buy again I’d probably go for a Reverb.

andrewh
    Free Member

Just ordered a Thomson. Deciding factor was lack of options for a 27.2. Got a Forca on the other bike and it’s rubbish, wobbles all over the place and the lever is terrible. Done cheap, now trying posh, let’s hope reliability is up to the reputation!

BearBack
    Free Member

Doss was a faultless bit of kit, the Transfer has been the same so far.

zerogreg
    Free Member

X Fusion Manic post for me – been on my bike for coming up 18 months, haven’t touched it since install and it works flawlessly no matter the conditions. Tiny tiny amount of play, but it hasn’t got any worse since I first noticed it and it isn’t noticeable in the saddle.

samuelr
    Free Member

Another vote for the x-fusion manic. Mines been flawless in the time ive had it. Have gone through 2 reverbs.

bsims
    Free Member

I was going to post about the X fusion Manic as I would like a replacement for my reverb. I was considering this as I am pleased with the Sweeps I have. I find the reverb is a faf to service and goes wobbly with increasing time after every service. Thanks zerogreg and samuelr.

nixie

I like it a lot though I do need to send it in to check out the reason for it not responding on the first 2 button clicks on an initial start.

That’s just it waking up. I think the post hibernates when it’s not moved for a while. When you first press the button after a gap of non movement it has to establish a link with the post. Have you noticed the remote LEDs flash differently during this period.

Northwind

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>andrewh wrote,</div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Just ordered a Thomson. Deciding factor was lack of options for a 27.2

Maybe you know this already but KS are just putting out a whole new range of 27.2, 120mm drop posts, starting from about £150 for the e20i and going up to about £300 for the Lev. I think Thomson will stay the top end option and the £60 cheapos will still have a place but unless they’ve really screwed up they’re going to own the middle

</div>

Bagstard
    Free Member

Brand X ascend XL with Raceface turbine 1x lever, works nicer than my latest version reverb with 1x lever.

andrewh
    Free Member

Yes, it was going to be either a KS or a Thomson but a second-hand Thomson was about the same price as a new KS so I went that way, didn’t pay anything like the full RRP for the Thomson, that’s more than I’ve bought two cars for (combined!) Actually, now I think about it, so was the second-hand one. Possibly more an indication of my choice of car than my choice of post…

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Current flavor of the month in dropper posts’ is closed to new replies.