Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Current best sub £200 android phone?
  • ElShalimo

My Wileyfox Swift is now over 18months old and getting slower and slower by the day.
    What’s the current android phone of choice for the over-40s STW gentleman of leisure?

PS Anyone seen the new Nokia 5 and 6 handsets on the web and thought, “oh my they look nice”?

Cougar

Factory reset in the first instance?

ElShalimo

I’ve done that once and it got better temporarily. It gets slower and slower. App cache regularly cleared too.
    Battery life is getting pretty poor too nowadays.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

Just bought myself a Motorola Moto G5 about a month ago – pretty pleased with it (replaced a Google Nexus 4)

Reckon the battery would just about last three days, but I charge every two

Available for about £150

matt_outandabout

Moto G4 for speed and compact.
    Moto G5 for big size and finger print lock.

retro83
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member
    Moto G4 for speed and compact.
    Moto G5 for big size and finger print lock.

They’re both 5 inch are they not?

edit: g5 smaller apparently
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/moto-g5-vs-moto-g4

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I have a G4 and son has a G5. Both good – prefer the slightly smaller screen size of the G5, which also has a replaceable battery if that matters to you.
    Add a large, fast SD card, configure it as internal memory, and you have a large capacity phone.

duffmiver
    Free Member

xiaomi mi5

petec
    Free Member

the new nokias are about to come out. I’m waiting for one of the 6s

edit – kak. Just saw you mentioned nokia in your OP. 😕

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

lenovo p2 £200 from “3”
    5000mA battery = min 2 days use before charging (my old S4 used to need charging at about lunchtime with a brand new battery).
    EDIT .. other properties and statistics are available, but the battery trumps them all 🙂

Del

another G5 here. amazon have ones with 3Gb of RAM and dual sim.
    does everything that my old sony xperia 3 compact did, except the screen works all the way across and it doesn’t crack as soon as you look at it.
    i was also able to install the ( rather good ) sony walkman player on it.
    pleased with it.

zippykona

Add a large, fast SD card, configure it as internal memory, and you have a large capacity phone.

Is this easily done?

Rich_s

Ebuyer have the Moto G5 on offer at 150 inc shipping at the mo.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/784088-motorola-moto-g5-16gb-4g-phone-lunar-grey-pa600002gb

eyestwice
    Free Member

Bought the better half an Xperia XA last week after she totalled her iPhone.

Very impressed for £150, has served it’s purpose until the insurance claim is sorted.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Is this easily done?

Yes, very

Moto answers

dooosuk
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a ZUK Z2 from banggood for £140. It’s made by Lenovo (who now own Motorolla).

4GB RAM, 64GB memory, Snapdragon chip, Android 6 with pretty much zero bloatware.

Very happy with it.

Also got a 7GB SIM only deal for £4.50/mth with unlimited texts and calls.

k-sugden
    Free Member

go to http://www.htc.com/uk/go/buy-one-a9s-premium/

Promo Code A9SUK
    HTC 9S Premium for £199 sorted

Neb

A Xiaomi of some kind, the value for money is amazing.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

^^^+1

Also, if you don’t already know, read how to care for the battery…Eg overnight charges are best avoided.

hb70

Lenovo p2. 4gb ram and i had 3 days battery life this weekend. 199 payg on three.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Always been happy with Sony.

I’ve tended to spend more as I need ( require) dual sim so price wise I can’t say but the 1 cheap Sony I had ( temporary after I smashed my lovely highest end Sony) made me wonder if I needed anything else.

Z3 before I smashed it was ace

Z5 I’m woth now is brilliant but battery life should be better.

kayak23

Moto g4 was waterproof/resistant, G5 is now not I believe. Shame.

theflatboy
    Free Member

dooosuk – Member

Also got a 7GB SIM only deal for £4.50/mth with unlimited texts and calls.

Who with? – my SIM deal is £12 with less data than that!

dooosuk
    Free Member

Who with? – my SIM deal is £12 with less data than that!

EE via mobiles.co.uk. Offer ended at the end of March i think and is a redemption offer (but you just email pdfs of your bills).

allthepies
    Free Member

I’m looking for a deal on a Xiaomi Mi5, starting to pop up in the sub-£200 bracket every now and again. Lot of phone for the money.

stumpy01

hb70 – Member

Lenovo p2. 4gb ram and i had 3 days battery life this weekend. 199 payg on three.

Do you own one of these? How do you find it? It’s my current favourite for when I finally decide my Xperia T needs replacing; I’ve had it for over 4 years now and it was ‘end of line’ when I got it.

I had a fiddle with one on the Three store a few weekends ago & was quite impressed.

theflatboy
    Free Member

dooosuk – Member

EE via mobiles.co.uk

Ta

ac282

I’ve just replaced my nexus 4 with a P2. Battery life, speed and memory are obviously miles better but I’m still getting used to the size. It’s hard to reach the top of the screen with my thumb.

hb70

@Stumpy yes have had it just over a week. Really pleased with it. Solid piece of metal, quick 4gb memory, battery life is 3 days, though i’m recharging at 30% every 2 days at the moment.

I genuinely cannot see why you would want to spend more money on a phone than this. What an earth could you get for £600 on an iphone/pixel that this does not do?

Yes its big. But I do lots of emailing/watching youtube on the train so it suits me fine.

Only negative so far is the lack of choice in cases because its a bit niche. But battery, price, 4gb Ram, not having to order from China for a Redmi….. it just ticks a lot of boxes.

al2000

I like my Wileyfox Swift 2 Plus, although I’ve not got much to compare it to. For £149 though it seems like a lot of phone.

They’ve just pushed an Android 7 update as well and dropped Cyanogen which is a big improvement.

stumpy01

hb70 – Member

Yes its big. But I do lots of emailing/watching youtube on the train so it suits me fine.

Yeah, I am not entirely sure I want a phone with a 5.5″ screen.
    The screen on my Xperia T is 4.5″ and that seems like plenty.

Weird that there aren’t more of these ‘budget’ phones with a smaller screen size.

How are you finding the camera – it seems to be the only thing that gets talked down a bit in the reviews. It’s not a deal breaker for me, but I’d rather it was half decent.

Regarding the lack of cases – I’ve got a LG tablet & found the same thing with that. But again, not really a deal breaker.

hb70

@stumpy the camera is fine. I saw that it was meant to be a bit weak in low light and I installed 2 other camera apps to replace the stock one just to see. I’m not sure either of them made much difference.I’m sure there are better camera phones, but this is really absolutely fine.

To be honest it takes 13m pictures- uploads them automatically to Google Photo’s at the end of each day- whats not to like?…. Its not a Leica but its better than my old LG G3, which was better than my Moto G, which was better than my HTC Hero.

They just get better each time.

The size- it is definitely big. And the big battery makes it heavy- not 35kg heavy, just a bit heavier than your last phone.

Its now 3pm. I’ve been using it pretty heavily since 7am for calls, emails, always on internet, a bit of video and some music. And its on 88% battery still. Thats the real thing about this phone tbh.

stevextc
    Free Member

Groan, I was ignoring this but just been told I need to buy a new phone for my job… (or I won’t have a job basically)….
    It needs 4G and apparently needs to run Android 7

stumpy01

Cheers for the info hb70.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Current best sub £200 android phone?’ is closed to new replies.