Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Curing meats
  • Joxster
    Free Member

No they’re not ill.

Does anyone here dry cure meats? How difficult is it?

I’m about to attempt curing some bacon and in six weeks will be moving to a new house near an Organic Beef farm.

chakaping
    Free Member

and in six weeks will be moving to a new house near an Organic Beef farm.

Planning a spot of rustling then?

😉

Joxster
    Free Member

and in six weeks will be moving to a new house near an Organic Beef farm.

Planning a spot of rustling then?

So you’ve seen me riding a bike then

saladdodger
    Free Member

Piece of pea have a look at Paul Peacocks book on meat cureing

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smoking-Curing-Book-Paul-Peacock/dp/1904871232/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241345148&sr=1-2

I do my own bacon unbelievabally easy

saladdodger
    Free Member
    Joxster
    Free Member

Cheers, do they supply to the general public?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Is home cured cheaper/better/just different?

I remember Dad’s first attempt at home brewed beer was cheaper until he realised it tastes cack and threw it away.

A colleague where I used to work invested in some proper kit and made some really great beer but if you factored in the cost of equipment it was £30 a pint for the first few batches.

Both enjoyed doing it which was their main motivation. Is home cured meat done for cost, flavour or fun?

Joxster
    Free Member

why bother when bacon and ham is so easily available on the high street, many people would say. The answer is simple. Modern curing techniques quickly inject preserves into the meat, making the end product salty and heavier. Old methods take time to extract water from the meat using salt, marinades and/or air, making it lighter. As meat is sold by the kilo and time is money, it is obvious which method has become the most popular.

Doing it at home means you know what has gone in to it, so no chemicals etc etc.

Drac

That’s only true if you buy shite quality ham and bacon.

saladdodger
    Free Member

WCA sorry but on this one you are wrong by using the correct cures the results are superb if you do not believe me if you are in Devon drop in and I will do you a bacon and egg (fresh from my chix)butty and you WILL change your mind

Joxster give them a ring 10kg of cure cost me about £22 and you only use 100g per kg of meat so the cost of cureing is 22p per kg

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

saladdodger – Not saying it is better or worse, I was asking. I am tempted to try it. I tried both hot and cold smoking but didn’t rate the results – to the point of throwing away 6 fish.

If you email me the recipe you used and 100g of the curing stuff I will buy you the equivalent value in beer at the Big Bike Bash!
    http://www.bigbikebash.co.uk/

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just read that back. Email me the recipe and I will reply with my address so you can post me the 100g of stuff as I doubt it will work as an email attachment.

brakes
    Free Member

I thought (assumed) you needed warm weather conditions to cure meat?
    the only curing I’ve seen was in a mouldy old barn in Umbria

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Curing meats’ is closed to new replies.