Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • cura 4 pots, anyone?
  • bruneep

looking at new brakes like the look of the formula cura 4. Seems to be a lack of real reviews.

anyone use them here?

squealingbrakes
    Free Member

Just bought some Cura 2 pots. Have not fitted them yet. Did quite a lot of internet research beforehand, and seemed to be going round in circles trying find the ‘best’ brake. ie good power modulation and reliability. Narrowed the choice to Magura v Formula. Was put off by the plastic Magura levers – I crash too often, so have taken a punt on the Cura’s. £150 for a set was not too big an outlay if things don’t go so well. Formula components are not easy to get in the UK at the moment, so will probably have to rely on German bike shops for spares.

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at these to replace my RO’s when the time comes. Geometron will be the UK distributor so parts should be easy enough to get hold of..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve had a brief go on a set a mate of mine has and I was suprised to find that they feel amazing. Better than my Guide REs.

Kamakazie

Glowing reviews all round for the 2 pots but seen very little on the 4s.

I’ll be speccing the 2s on my next build assuming stock situation gets better (should do with Mojo now the formula distro).

stevied
    Free Member

should do with Mojo now the formula distro)

It’s not Mojo now..

I’d be tempted with a 4 on the front & a 2 on the back too..

jamj1974

I’ve picked some up from Lordgun in Italy. Seemed to be the only place that actually had them in stock. They arrived today after being ordered inn Wednesday evening – so no concerns from me in terms of the retailer.

They look rather nice in black, the finish is good and the levers look smaller than they do in online images I have seen. No Feel Control System (FCS) and the hoses at the calliper end don’t have adjustable banjo-type fittings – but you can’t have everything.

I am not able to ride for some months but as soon as I can, I will provide some feedback. I am expecting good things – my previous experience with Formula brakes has been very positive over the last 10 years – so fingers crossed.

jamj1974

Installed them with the help of my sons. Took my time including the shortening of hoses.

I found that despite the careful use of the well-known on STW hose shortening technique, I had to do a full bleed of both brakes to get the optimum combination of pad clearance and bite point. Most of the time, when shortening hoses I do not need to bleed, but these seem more sensitive – perhaps because they are 4 pot…?

It’s a little bit meaningless, but on the stand the lever action is positive and smooth. The brakes stop the wheel very rapidly. I think due to the new lever shape, I have had to fiddle more with lever position and reach to get them to feel comfortable.

I’ll feedback more, when in some significant time they get ridden.

rothdogg
    Free Member

Bump. Anyone got any feedback on these brakes?

Bigmantrials

I really like my set of Cura 4 pots, had the Cura 2 pots before, word of warning, they feel very different so mixing and matching would end up with 2 very different feeling levers, so not recommended.

Otherwise I really like the brakes, feel excellent, much more of a modulated feel than shimano brakes and a lot more power than the guide RSC’s I had before. Polished silver looks excellent too! Pad/rotor clearance is pretty tight but I have managed to get mine running rub free after a couple of adjustments.

I also have the mixmaster clamps so I can put shifter and dropper leaver on the brake lever quite a nice solution but the shimano version seems to be much harder to get than the sram one, I managed to modify my band on XT shifter to bolt directly to the sram adapter though, so problem solved!

Kamakazie

Again, not the 4s but I ended up 2ith the 2s and they are great. So much modulation, nice short stroke and plenty of power. Super quiet so far too.

Massive upgrade over the XTs and as good as anything else I’ve tried. I’d have liked to go Hope again but at the price these are I really can’t see me changing.

I’d go for the 4s without a second thought if I needed something more powerful.

bruneep

As above, had to do a full bleed after shortening the hose. Pad availability is an issue as there are not many non Formula pads available such as uber/disco. Buying formula pads can be a bit spendy.

Other than that I like em.

SirHC

It’s not Mojo now..

Who is it now then?

stevied
    Free Member

Appears to be Geometron now, so, kind-of, still Mojo 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘cura 4 pots, anyone?’ is closed to new replies.