Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Cups in cupboards – today's moral dilema
  • Tracker1972
    Free Member

wwaswas- I can see we are closely related spiritually but unless you have shortened Tim to wwaswas it is not genetic. Twin dishwashing is truly a future we can all work towards however, as is quicker one handed typing for me (no, not enjoying this that much, knackered shoulder slowing me down).

wwaswas

I think I'd probably want 6 dishwashers and 3 complete sets of crockery saucepans and cutlery etc. You would be able to guarantee that you'd have everythign available for any meal you wanted to cook and still be able toput the 'dirty' stuff in a dishwasher not currentyl occupied by clean.

I've not got to the point of laying awake worryign about it but I did look at the plumbing implications in the kitchen.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I don't know, I have other, more important things to think about. Like those spoons I got the other week that are just a bit to big to be tea spoons and a bit too small for soup spoons. Where do they go? With the teaspoons? with the Other Spoons? Why do they seem to sneak in with the forks when the cutlery drawer gets closed? It's all getting too much for me, I can tell you.

jimmy

rogerthecat – Member
    All this from a bunch of people who will probably ingest a lifetimes mug/cup rim contaminant in the first ten minutes of a muddy ride.

Would be the case, but STWers clearly don't have the time to ride judging from this thread. Oh wait…

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Ian- I can see you have considered this at great length and come up with an admirable solution. I am not sure that plastic disposables will prove practicable with any hot beverage though?
    As we await the dawning of what will surely be looked back upon as a golden age of civilisation (the Twin Dishwasher Years) maybe some kind of cup liner prophylactic device is required?
    A cupdom® if you will.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

wwaswas- when you choose what to eat you have to start somewhere, why not with the (limited) available crockery/cooking utensils? I am certain it would lead to a whole new genre of equipment rather than ingredient or taste led cuisine.

wwaswas

see previous thread re: meal planning – I'm not sure my wife could cope with planning meals based on what might be in the dishwasher a week on Friday…

molgrips
    Free Member

Right, well our glasses are slightly conical, so we store them up/down/up/down so that they fit together better and we can get more in the cupboard.

So there.

wwaswas

Oooh, I've never selected crockery on the grounds of 'propensity to tessalate'.

There's possibilities in that 😉

Tracker1972
    Free Member

The relative packing fractions of different products could be life or death in "The Twin Dishwasher Years".
    I wonder if legislation will be required to force manufacturers to put a packing index on packaging or would they self regulate?
    EDIT- we did select square crockery for the campervan based on packing space v food area though.

tankslapper
    Free Member

'tessalate'

I like it! 😀

Back on OP – surely you 'upside-downers' must have cupboard liners or something to rest cup/glass edges on? Preventing chipping/marks/dirt?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Having a slightly similar experience – my MIL is helping out with our new additions and every time she comes up she attacks my cheese. She doesn't slice it or grate it. She breaks chunks off with a spade or something. Then leaves it in the fridge, unwrapped, to dry out.

Grrrrr

DrJ

Tesselate – I like it better.

In my missus family they put cups in a drawer, which just seems WRONG to me, but I have got used to it, so when visitors come it seems strange that they can't find the cups.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I discourage visitors by only having one cup. And spoon.

DrJ

What do you use the spoon for?

wwaswas

That's right Simon, blame the crockery…

AndyP
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – Member

does your being simonfbarnes not discourage them in the first place?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

What do you use the spoon for?

it's an eating utensil

actually I wasn't being quite truthful. I have 2 cups. And a friend gave me a teaspoon she stole from a Virgin train. But I don't drink tea.

takisawa2

This thread clearly needs a pic of said Mother-in-Law.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

tankslapper – Member
    'tessalate'

I like it!

Back on OP – surely you 'upside-downers' must have cupboard liners or something to rest cup/glass edges on? Preventing chipping/marks/dirt?
    Straight onto the laminated chipboard here, smooth surface that is probably less hard than the cups etc. so why would they chip? only damage on our stuff is from rough handling loading and unloading dishwasher, or handwashing.
    Trying to remember if the pub keeps them upside down, think they do…

zaskar
    Free Member

I go through my dishes easily so I keep them upright but if I didn't use them for ages then upside down is a good idea.

Then again if it's been that long-better off washing?

Immune system should kick in though -I mean what about all the spiders you swallow in your sleep?

tankslapper
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – Member

….and to save on tea they drink from the spoon? 😆

mastiles_fanylion – Member

Having a slightly similar experience – my MIL is helping out with our new additions and every time she comes up she attacks my cheese. She doesn't slice it or grate it. She breaks chunks off with a spade or something. Then leaves it in the fridge, unwrapped, to dry out.

Grrrrr

OMG! I'm going to have nightmares! That is just plain wrong!!!!

In my missus family they put cups in a drawer, which just seems WRONG to me, but I have got used to it, so when visitors come it seems strange that they can't find the cups.

NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

robdob
    Free Member

But I don't drink tea.

I think that explains a lot of things…. 😉

I'm putting in a new kitchen soon and this twin dishwasher things sounds like a winner.

Why don't kitchen designers copy the dishwasher designers and make a cupboard that stores crockery etc in exactly the same way as a dishwasher? It's amazing that you can get ALL your kitchenware in one 600mm washer but it takes several cupboards to store it in when it has been washed.

Or do the dishwasher manufacturers build in some sort of space/time wormhole in order to fit it all in.

I think we, the innocent public, should be told. I don't want to destroy the universe by incorrectly loading a dishwasher.

robdob
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – Member

So if I visit you, I not only don't get a cup of tea, I have to get into bed with you and cuddle?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Why don't kitchen designers copy the dishwasher designers and make a cupboard that stores crockery etc in exactly the same way as a dishwasher?

just buy a 2nd hand broken dishwasher :o)

Tracker1972
    Free Member

robdob – Member

I'm putting in a new kitchen soon and this twin dishwasher things sounds like a winner.

…and so the golden age begins…

robdob
    Free Member

.and so the golden age begins…

People will come from far and wide to see this new age of crockery storage/cleansing.

Hopefully I'll be able to charge admittance to view it.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I not only don't get a cup of tea, I have to get into bed with you and cuddle?

I can't say till I've seen you – you might not be my type 🙁 Oh and you'd better bring some tea too, and milk if you want any…

robdob
    Free Member

And a chuffin' cup too! 😉

I may as well stay at home and devise my twin dishwasher kitchen.

Mwahahahaaaa!

Tracker1972
    Free Member

robdob- I hope your fellow visionaries (myself and wwaswas) will be invited to the inaugural loading and kitchen opening. We could cut a ribbon on each machine 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I may as well stay at home and devise my twin dishwasher kitchen.

and just think, a little light comes on when you open the door – take THAT boring shadowy wooden cupboards!!

aracer
    Free Member

My dishwasher doesn't have a little light – was I conned?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

My dishwasher doesn't have a little light – was I conned?

REALLY ? Perhaps I made that bit up. I've never actually looked inside a dishwasher as they are of course, the work of the Devil …

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Cups in cupboards – today's moral dilema’ is closed to new replies.