Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)
  • Cultural phenomena that have entirely passed you by
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Hipster’s.
    Pop punk/Metal
    Twitter
    Package Holidays
    Plus/Fatty wheel sizes

I was involved in BMX and Skateboarding in the 80’s
    Grunge had a big impact on my music tastes, and still does today.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

i really did miss out.

FTFY

ads678

My wife has never seen Terminator or Terminator 2. shameful

My wife has never seen Ghostbusters, shes 42!

The TV show ‘The Royal Family’. I was in Australia when the first series was on, so had no idea what every one was on about and thought it was crap.

the-muffin-man

Clubbing – I’ve been in a nightclub once in my 49 years!

And all the stuff you see on the telly now about the late 70s and early 80s – it was such a cool time, but growing up in a sleepy village meant this cool stuff happened to people on telly. There were 2 or 3 punks in our Comp school.

Drac

Fun.

sbob
    Free Member

Humour.

SaxonRider

1. Gaming, as per the OP. I remember all of my friends trading Atari cartridges, and not being remotely interested.

2. Clubbing. Went once or twice, wasn’t interested. I think I’m probably just too introverted.

3. Gigs. Same thing as above. Oh, and the sound quality seems to always suck. Too loud and too muffled.

4. Drugs. I was almost naïve about them. I was friends with some of the guys who did them, but never touched them myself, and almost didn’t really notice them when they were right in front of me.

5. Action movies.

stevied
    Free Member

BMX & skateboards. I was into roller skating (proper Bauer ones, not the ones you put onto the bottom of your shoes) and we used to play street hockey, do ‘urban’ skating in the parks in town etc.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Tinder

Nico
    Free Member

Dabbing? I’ll have to look that up. Computer gaming for me too. Used to play “leisure suit larry” in the days of floppy disks but that was only at work.

Never seen Star Wars.

whitestone
    Free Member

Ah, BMX. I was probably having a long intermission from cycling when BMX became a “thing”. I think I might have held a BMX bike once. These days if I went out wearing a baseball cap on back to front and a pair of jeans halfway down my arse my wife would be “having a word” 😳

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Rocky Horror Picture Show
    X Factor and all that jazz
    Shisha Pipes
    Cyclo Cross
    Pulled Pork

dirkpitt74

Snapchat…. my 70y/o FIL is a Snapchat ninja.
    X-box/PS etc. never interested me at all – our 11y/o son has an X-box but I’ve not touched it other than setting up the Wi-Fi etc. for him.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Nandos – it’s just chicken, can get the precooked stuff from supermarkets that’s just as good.

Have to agree with the Lady Diana thing, I didn’t know her personally so don’t see why I would mourn her death so much. I don’t cry when regular people die who I don’w know so really dont see why I would mourn her just because she was famous.

The death of Kurt Cobain, a lot of people used to go on and on and on about it and I never got it then and still don’t understand why. again on the same page of ‘I didn’t know them personally’.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Facebook/Twitter
    Reality TV

No regrets

seosamh77
    Free Member

What the f, is dabbing?

ads678

Its something kids used to do.

funkmasterp

Musicals ..they are the worst thing ever and just make me want to p

This, so much this. Hate the things with the exception of Little Shop of Horrors, because Levi Stubbs.

Also second Facebook and Twitter. Never used any form of social media other than this place. Just seems utterly alien and bizzare to me

Markie
    Free Member

Mrs M had never seen any Star Wars movie until this summer when we watched the (original) first one. She said at the end that she’d thought it was okay until she realised it was set in space!

CountZero

I interpret ‘passed me by’ as meaning things one is completely unaware of, which are popular among large numbers of people. Well, I’m struggling to think of anything that’s really popular that I’m completely unaware of, what with news and other stuff so ubiquitous these days, I see references to all sorts of odd stuff that makes me do the eye-rolley thing , but leave me bewildered by the popularity of them.

footflaps

Tattoos
    Top knots
    Beards

richardk
    Free Member

Star Wars – saw one of them as a kid, no interest since
    Star Trek – never watched more than 5 minutes, no interest at all

edlong
    Free Member

Them Kardashians.

I’ve established that the p/matriach used to be an Olympian, and a man.

And I know one of them’s married to that rapper who sounds like he’s named after a train station.

And that’s genuinely it. I’m aware that there are more of them, but I couldn’t name any, and I genuinely don’t know how they became famous originally…

..and I’m happy if I remain as ignorant on the subject until the day I die.

griptool
    Free Member

Its something kids used to do

Also
    Originates from the practice of smoking ‘dab’, which is a stronger type of hash, made from hash oils and having to cough just after taking a toke

footflaps

Them Kardashians.

Still have no idea who they are….

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

Millenials, Instagram, road bikes, the whole celebrity thing, Kasabian….

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Or why they are famous

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Greggs.

I’m never giving them my money.

andytherocketeer

Them Kardashians.

Aren’t they something to do with Star Trek (or NG, DS9 or the other one) ?

Footy
    Tatoos
    Strickly
    That baking show
    In fact pretty much every show where the gullible vote people off

(not so much passed me by… but more a case of have no interest whatsoever in knowing anything about them, and can’t understand why anybody gets even remotely fanatical about them)

Greggs is lukewarm grossness
    KFC – I currently have a 100% chunder to “dining” experience there. Although least I aimed mine at the big white telephone, unlike my (female) colleague who decorated the outside of the window of the KFC branch.
    Nandos – never been, but have passed by several.

Cougar

Football, Reality TV, Soaps, Sports Betting, Horse Racing, Drugs..
    Couldn’t care less about these things.

Pretty much all of the above.

I don’t really get spectator sports at all, but the sheer obsessiveness of football is sufficient to put me off. Why watch someone else having fun rather than doing something yourself?

I’ve followed some sports in the past – I used to go to Manchester Storm ice hockey games and I’m partial to a spot of American Football – but they’re kinda niche sports here so you can get away from it occasionally. Yet after a couple of years maybe the novelty of hockey wore off and I stopped going, and aside from catching a few games on holiday recently about the only American Football I watch these days is the Superbowl. For me it’s like, I like music and love going to gigs, but even with my favouritest band I wouldn’t go and see them on every leg of the same tour playing the same set every week.

So yeah, I don’t get it, the whole sports / football thing completely passed me by. All those armchair experts who know better than the professionals and will drone on and on about players and statistics and who’s shit this week, you know the ones whose opening gambit when meeting someone new is “what team do you support” and when told “I don’t really follow football” proceed to talk at you about it for fifteen minutes? Gods kill me now, they’re only slightly less tediously boring than people who have drugs as a hobby and iPhone owners.

DezB
    Free Member

Pop punk/Metal…

Grunge had a big impact on my music tastes, and still does today.

Odd, without the first 2…

Like CZ, can’t think of anything that passed me completely by, but gaming never interested me. Even when my kid was into it, played a few games with him and couldn’t imagine wasting hours doing it on my own.

slowoldman

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF_uOgyBK1c[/video]

chewkw
    Free Member

slowoldman – Member

That’s a really funny clip. 😆

Mind you Channel 4 news is heading in the same direction … 😆

I am going to speak like that funny Mitchell & Webb youtube clip. 😛

cannyman76
    Free Member

this political correctness fad has passed me right by

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Resort holidays spent in a compound with people you would rather avoid if you were back home.

My stepdaughter & her husband spend 3/4 of a fortune on these type of holidays! All inclusive, butler service, a bed the size of Centre Court at Wimbledon, etc, & daren’t even leave the hotel grounds!

But for me,
    Football, gaming, drugs, lots of television & technology, celebs, 29″ & 27.5″ wheels, fatbikes. My list is endless!

this political correctness fad has passed me right by

Same here, **** em!

cheers_drive

Last week I found out that there are professional gamers that are classed s as e-atheletes and the gamers teams earn millions of dollars a year in prizes with sponsorship on top.
    I had a snes and a Xbox back in the day but generally the whole gaming thing has passes me by.

fettlin

hodgynd – Member

I do like a good mtb forum though

Oh the ironing! 🙂

Football, what a waste of a good patch of grass!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Ed chuffin’ Shearan for me. All I get is ‘but he’s so talented’, but that may be the case but his music is so bland and boring and no better than the plethora of bland boring pop acts being churned out these days.

jimjam
    Free Member

wobbliscott – Member

Ed chuffin’ Shearan for me.

I don’t think that he counts as a cultural phenomenon tbh.

blueflamespecial
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member
    The whole mass grieving over Diana then and 20 years later.
    Didn’t get it then, don’t get it now.

Spot on.
    I knew a girl who spent 8+ hours queuing (with her entire family) to sign the remembrance book or whatever it was. She certainly wasn’t alone.

Absolutely bizarre.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Cultural phenomena that have entirely passed you by’ is closed to new replies.