Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • Cultural phenomena that have entirely passed you by
  • IHN

A question on here made me think; is there anything that by any reasonable measure has a huge cultural impact, that has entirely passed you by?

For me it’s gaming; PlayStations, Xboxes and all that. I remember the original Ataris, I remember mates getting Segas and Nintendos and later PlayStations, Wii, Xboxes etc etc. It’s an enormous industry, a significant part of popular culture and I’ve never been involved, it just holds no interest for me.

Well there’s that and trail centres 😉

whitestone
    Free Member

I can’t say I’m bothered about computer gaming, there’s a couple of lads in the office (plus my boss!) who are well into it, I just hear a “woooosh!” as the conversation goes across my head.

weeksy

Dabbing.

trailwagger
    Free Member

The Internet

slowbloke
    Free Member

Football

rocketman
    Free Member

Tubeless

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gaming also.
    Watching box sets on telly box.
    Gravel.

funkmasterp

Football, TV singing contests and reality type programming.

sbob
    Free Member

Smartphones.
    I have better things to do with my time.

jam-bo

clearly…

bigyinn
    Free Member

The whole mass grieving over Diana then and 20 years later.
    Didn’t get it then, don’t get it now.

Stoner
    Free Member

Netflix/Amazon prime

GoPro

Facebook

The proud massacre of English grammar in the name of linguistic evolution.

jonnyboi

any kind of gambling, but for a few years almost all my mates were playing poker flat out. Whereas I didn’t have a clue

reality tv
    soaps
    instagram
    nandos

MtbRoutes

Patriotism

kayla1
    Free Member

Mobile phones.

nealglover
    Free Member

She’s not died again has she ?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Taking photographs and videos and absolutely ******* everything, social networks.

sbob – Member

Smartphones.
    I have better things to do with my time.

Oh the irony.

cokie

Football, Reality TV, Soaps, Sports Betting, Horse Racing, Drugs..
    Couldn’t care less about these things.
    Isn’t it for the most part just that? We have no interest and so don’t participate in it. Much like Cycling, the majority of the public know you can ride bikes, but that’s it, it passes them by.
    Thread should just be called ‘Things that don’t interest me but are popular’.

bigyinn
    Free Member

nealglover – Member

She’s not died again has she ?
    I think you’re confusing her with Joe Cocker.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I think you’re confusing her with Joe Cocker.

Joe Cocker’s dead, why did no one on here tell me that?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Football, I’ve have NEVER understood the appeal and the whole “we” thing just annoys me.

Internet *things* Ice Buckets, Dabbing, etc.

Buying everything in white.

Coffee, it used to be an after dinner thing or what spivs drank when they should be drinking tea – now everyone seems to queue up every day to drop £5 on a cardboard cup of frothy milk with some coffee in it, same goes for bottled water, it has to be one of the most ecologically wasteful things to do – I mean I live in Wales, we can’t move for endless supplies of beautiful water that’s rained itself all over mountains and into streams and that – but no, for a long time (before coffee took over) you had to spend £2 on a plastic bottle of the stuff shipped from France – just seemed madness to me.

Tea, but I admit I’m the odd one there.

Vinyl, I can’t think of another format that was made obsolete and then came back – I suppose it’s Horse Riding for Music Fans, a car / motorbike / bicycle is better in every practical respect than a horse, but some people still like them.

Mrs. Browns Boys – I’ve found out who watches it, it’s my Wife Aunt, she’s a lovely old Lady and enjoys it, but I just don’t know who the other 6m people who watch it are.

Smart Watches, it’s like a second screen for your phone, but why? Especially the really expensive ones – I know some people think spending a lot of money on a ‘time piece’ is a good thing to do (I don’t, it’s daft) but at least they’ll last a lifetime if you want, but £5k or more for a fancy one? It’ll be desk drawer fodder in 2 years.

I’ve reached my grumpy old man stage in my life, so I could go on and on.

darrell
    Free Member

the 80s

it was sh1te

hols2
    Free Member

P-Jay
    Free Member

Taking photographs and videos and absolutely ******* everything

I used to do that, spend all holiday taking snaps to upload to FB, GoPro to send to my mates, half an hour pissing away with a pic to insta it.

Had to have a word with myself, you can live your life through a 4″ LCD screen to try to impress your mates.

Tried to explain it to my Son on Sunday night – the 4 of us went to see the fireworks at the rugby club, Wife, Daughter (3) and I all enjoying them, he’s watching them through the screen of his phone moaning because you can’t see them all. Just enjoy it.

chip
    Free Member

Facebook
    Twitter

Gary_M
    Free Member

it’s my Wife Aunt

You married your aunt? I guess that’s normal in wales 🙂

chip
    Free Member

One I am currently ignoring is linking everything to your phone via an app.

Heating, lights, washing machine even saw on the tv last night you can buy ovens with cameras in so you can watch you food cooking on your phone.

slowoldman

Dogging.

mikey74
    Free Member

Fashion trends
    Brit pop
    Raves (actually, anything involving electronic music)
    Mainstream celebrity reality TV shows.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Not exactly passed me by, but just about most games and films from 2000ish+ are just “meh” to me. Not interested any more, yet used to be big into it all, especially films.

More so with the comic book superhereo films. I loved 70s Superman, 80/90s Batman, Blade, coped with a reboot Batman, liked early X-Men. But now with hundreds of the things coming out all the time with bombarding senses action aimed at short attention span kids, I just don’t see the appeal and lost track of it all. Friends raving about latest Thor whatsit and got no idea what they’re on about. Not seen any of them or other related films.

Anyway, last console I bought was the Wii. No interest in anything since.

Couldn’t be bothered with the rest of The Hobbit films after the first. Gave up on Tarrantino after the first part of Kill Bill, yet loved his stuff before. I’ve even lost interest in Star Wars!

Grumpy old man or middle age change in tastes. Got me into mountain biking though.

nandos

Likewise. Don’t get it. Eaten plenty of stuff like that. Just don’t get Nandos. Just a brand place to hang out at.

MrSmith
    Free Member

ITV
    Those famous for 5min TV shows where you embarrass yourself in front of celebrities and a screaming audience while dancing/singing
    Soap operas
    Rap music
    Idolising cars and enjoying sitting in traffic in them (plus earning £20k and living with M&D while driving a £40k BMW)
    Resort holidays spent in a compound with people you would rather avoid if you were back home.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Resort holidays spent in a compound with people you would rather avoid if you were back home.

I’m with you there, some friends have been to Mexico, Egypt, Bulgaria etc etc, never leave the resort through fear of bandits or whatever – you might as well go to Spain if all you want it Sun and cheap Booze.

Bulgaria is actually lovely away from the resorts, couldn’t tell you the name of the places because Bulganise is incomprehensible but we went to a nice restaurant up the Mountains about an hour out of Varna (also nice) that was only a lift and some trails away from paradise to me. Why anyone would want to spend 4 hours on a plane to spend a week in Sunny Beach is beyond me.

jolmes
    Free Member

Dabbing
    Football
    Taking pictures of food (just bloody eat it!)

deadkenny
    Free Member

P-Jay – Member
    I’m with you there, some friends have been to Mexico, Egypt, Bulgaria etc etc, never leave the resort through fear of bandits or whatever – you might as well go to Spain if all you want it Sun and cheap Booze.

Coming back from bike trip in Spain and driving along the coast, just amazed at the amount of resort hotels which are just complete compounds and the people there likely never see outside the hotel. Such a waste.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Friends Reunited
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram ..

I do like a good mtb forum though

Musicals ..they are the worst thing ever and just make me want to puke ..

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

My wife has never seen Terminator or Terminator 2. shameful

whitestone
    Free Member

ITV

AKA ChavTV. We rarely ever watch it, maybe a film or similar. Even Channel 5’s better than ITV.

the-muffin-man

North Face clothing

theotherjonv

Drugs

I was early 20’s at the time of madchester. I loved the music, the scene, i just never got into the drug stuff. I smoked a bit of cannabis for a time but the speed, E, acid…… nope.

Oddly, i quite fancy a go now, see if i really did miss out.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Cultural phenomena that have entirely passed you by’ is closed to new replies.