Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Cues crankset with microshift/sram/hyperglide comptability
  • rihearn

I’m building a ‘new’ bike for my 12 year old. The original plan was just to swap all the old components over to a larger frame I have. However on closer examination he needed a new bottom bracket and his cassette, chain and front mech were all knackered.

I decided a microshift 9 speed setup might be good and I’d ditch the front mech and run a single ring crank. Finding a suitable setup for the spare square taper i’ve fitted to the frame doesn’t give many choices though. I’ve been looking at a cues 32 tooth. It says link glide rather than hyperglide/sram but I figured as I wasn’t asking the chain to move off the single ring this wouldn’t be a problem with a 9 speed sram chain. All the work is done by the compatible cassette, mech and chain at the back.

Does anyone have any experience here? Is my logic flawed?

I have just ordered a the crankset for £35 as there is some pressure to get him back on the bike again!!!

dirkpitt74

I believe link glide is supposed to be harder wearing and aimed more for ebike drive trains.

Shouldn’t be an issue.

Why 9 speed and not 10 speed?

rihearn

Thanks. That’s reassuring. 10 speed was a little more expensive and he goes through mechs like most people go through underpants. I may well regret but microshift is a good price so I can upgrade at some point if needed.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

9 speed chains are made of cheese, 8sp or 10spd are much more durable.

crazy-legs

CUES is all designed to work off 11sp chains – no matter what the number of cogs on the back.

I’m honestly not sure if the chainset is compatible with a 9sp chain – I know it’s got deeper teeth than previous Shimano chainsets…

So far I’ve not found anything to confirm or deny the compatibility though. I know that chainsets are normally a lot more tolerant of mix and match than other parts of the drivetrain.

Guess you’ll soon find out! 🤷🏻‍♂️

rihearn

Yep. It’ll either work brilliantly or I’ll have to buy a new bb and crankset that are compatible!

rihearn

Entirely possible that nobody in the world is interested in this but I’m posting it anyway.

Cues crankset arrived and works very well with SRAM chain and microshift cassette/mech. (I cannot comment on whether this would work as well with a crank that had multiple rings that required some shifting)

Very happy child who has a great deal of satisfaction at having built his own bike from scratch from a variety of ebay parts, stuff from our spares bin, some new bits and the remains of his old bike (wheels, seat, bottle cage!!)

I know I could likely have got something in one piece for around the same money but the pair of us have had a great time cobbling it all together and solving the compatibility issues it has brought.

We’re planning on a gravel bike next!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.