Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • CTC Vs. British Cycling
  • Flash
    Free Member

I’ve had a reminder to re-new my membership with the CTC through the post and was wondering if British Cycling has an advantages or vice versa.

I know the CTC gives the opportunity to go riding with men wearing baggy lycra and big beards, but at the moment I use it for the insurance cover and occasionally look at the routes.

If I go on the British Cycling site, the whole thing just looks a bit more up-market. Do they have more to offer or am I being seduced by a flash website and pictures of Vicky P?

Cheers

rootes1

stick with ctc – they do more for cycling in general and have a better mag

joemarshall
    Free Member

Ctc is for riding, bc for racing. Isn’t it?

marka.
    Free Member

The CTC rides I have done have been ace. I think I saw only 1 baggy lycra and virtually no beards, even on the women.

I don’t know about BC, so can’t comment on that.

DickBarton

If you don’t race then the CTC is likely to offer you more to appeal to your kind of riding. If you race then British Cycling it is – as much as BC is the governing body it is only really interested in competitive cycling (even the recreational stuff has some gearing towards competitive stuff).

If you don’t compete then I reckon CTC is the better one to go for.

(and as usual this is all just my own view – I’ve been a member of both and found the CTC was a bit more in-tune with my non-competitive riding)

crazy-legs

Depends a bit on what you want.

CTC is very advocacy geared – lots of campaigns for better cycling infrastructure, their much publicised SMIDSY one etc. It all stemmed from their original aim of being geared towards the touring/recreational cyclist, they’ve become a bit more PR savvy and do some good work in upping the profile of cycling in general.

BC stemmed from road racing although they now look after most aspects of cycle sport including MTB racing. Yes it’s geared towards racing and your membership fee goes to supporting grass-roots/youth racing right the way up to Olympic athletes – if you ever fancy doing any racing (especially road/track) you’ll eventually end up with a BC Membership and racing licence anyway.

Both offer very good insurance should you be unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident, both offer discounts with various partners – BC members have a portal through to Wiggle which gives an extra 10% off everything for example.

You also get the usual email newsletters etc from both groups.

Pays your money, takes your choice etc.

Flash
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback. I think I’ll stick with baggy lycra and beards

Which way to the cafe?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘CTC Vs. British Cycling’ is closed to new replies.