Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Crysotile content
  • muddyjames
    Free Member

Textured ceiling coatings

Overboard or skim?

Assuming these are options.

136stu
    Free Member

You’re certain its asbestos? Best to seek professional advice.

muddyjames
    Free Member

Yes test said that was the content.

wrightyson
    Free Member

For me its overboard, better finish.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Third option is to get rid and reboard. Much more work and hassle now, but asbestos regulations are only likely to get more restrictive. If you come to sell, I think you have to disclose the presence of asbestos (or lie), and that can put buyers off, even though crysotile is the least dangerous type. I’m not saying you should do it, just pointing out the option.

muddyjames
    Free Member

Interesting point about disclosure. I don’t think there is any obligation to do so at present. Having recently sold, there is a requirement to declare building work and Japanese knot weed but not asbestos or other hazardous materials.

Good point about further restrictions though.

Greybeard
    Free Member

No idea if this is correct or not (from here)

Asbestos disclosure when selling a house in the UK

Since the repeal of the Property Misdescriptions Act in 2013, all sellers are obliged to disclose the presence of asbestos during a sale. Of course, owners are not expected to detect the presence of asbestos in their home by themselves, but more than likely this information will have been uncovered by a chartered surveyor before they moved in.

In a large majority of cases, a seller will also be using a surveyor to determine the value of their home prior to placing it on the market, and their estate agent of choice will likely query the presence of asbestos based on the age and construction type of the property. Generally, any home built before 1978 could contain the toxic material, and a failure to detect the presence of asbestos in these instances could open up both the surveyor and agent to prosecution.

eskay

Had all ceilings in last house and current house skimmed to hide the artex.

Had to have some sheets removed in garage by licensed asbestos removal company though.

avdave2

Every single house in the area of Brighton where I live has it. I’ve just had the men in white suits in as the insurance company wanted it done as they were funding a repair. I’m fairly sure that if every ceiling in the area I live we’re to come down there would be more potential exposure than if they were all boarded over.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Crysotile content’ is closed to new replies.