Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Crychan Forest routes
  • keppoch

Afternoon,

I am going riding with a friend tomorrow. We know the mid Wales area pretty well so in search of new terrain we have settled on meeting to ride in the Crychan forest. We have these two routes but wondering if anyone has any other options of specific gpx tracks as it sounds like some of the best riding is difficult to find.

34km route apparently from Singletrack magazine:
    https://my.viewranger.com/route/details/OTE4MzY=

23km MBUK route (but review says that GPS tracks are miles off!):
    https://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MjQyNzk=

johnnystorm

Have a look for “Red Kite Marathon” on ridewithgps or similar. Their routes used a lot of Crychan and the organiser put on a lot of DH and Enduro events so it wasn’t all fire roads. 🙂

keppoch

So we went, we rode, we conquered 🙂

Just thought it would be useful to report back. We had a great ride following the Singletrack Magazine route above. The route was relatively easy to follow though a lot of crossing tracks to follow. Surfaces were generally pretty solid and rocky (a change from a lot of mid Wales routes and the nearby Doethie option) with a few splashy puddles and some monster ones that look deep enough to swallow you!

The route reminded me of the Dyfi Enduro in some ways easy ups on fireroads and then some more entertaining descents. A couple of the descents were on some very steep fresh forestry terrain one we rode twice as it was good fun and another had us gingerly walking down as have not done that much technical riding this year and it was properly steep and pretty high stakes! Suspect these were the sections that had previously been used in Enduro events.

Hopefully useful to know for others considering a ride there.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Crychan Forest routes’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts