Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Crud Road Racer Mudguards
  • john_l
    Free Member

Oh & worth mentioning that a set of Race Blades has found itself abandoned in a hedge before now.

jamieandangela
    Free Member

I like mine….a little tricky to set up so the wee pads don't rub, I thought I had mine perfect then I had to reset them after the first ride and they have been fine ever since. They are a whole lot better than race blades.

The bike I have them on is a Vitus carbon job with very, very tight clearance.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

They fit my Trek 1.5 with 25mm Bontrager tyres on….

And I can vouch for the spares replacement – somehow the section of the blade itself that bolts to the strut managed to snap. On reflection I'll admit it may have been more to do with toe overlap turning a corner than poor product.

Anyhow, I sent the old blade back and received a full new set by return, no questions. They even rang me to tell me a replacement was on the way. Excellent customer service!!

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Teetosugars – Did I say the Crud Guards were crap?

I think I said the spacer I made was crap "I then tried making a spacer but that was pretty crap", yes the mudguards aren't designed for cross bikes, but they looked a good product so I thought I would try them.

Paceman
    Free Member

I use the road-racers on my Caad 9 and have found them very effective. They took awhile to fit (with 23mm Conti tyres) but have been worth it. They work well in the wet and look much better than other brands.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Worked straight out the bag on my Condor Pista. A bit of bodging to create some spacers for the set on my other half's Roadrat.

Both sets work pretty damn well. I've managed to lose the front tail of mine, probably due to toe overlap issues, but it doesn't seem to have affected things massively.

DezB
    Free Member

I have now taken the plunge and bought those offered on the previous page of this ere thread. I won't hear the pads rubbing if they do, anyway. iPod will drown it out 🙂

MisterCrud
    Free Member

Both sets work pretty damn well. I've managed to lose the front tail of mine, probably due to toe overlap issues, but it doesn't seem to have affected things massively.

JonEdwardes get in touch via the website…crudproducts.com….I'll send you a new tail.

adeward
    Free Member

I had the lower part of my front one fall off today, I knew the toe overlap was tight on my commuter but didnt know it was that tight,,

not too worry it still keeps most of the water off, ,, so will do without it,,

MisterCrud
    Free Member

Get in touch Ade, I'll sort you with a new tail…crudproducts.com
    Can we PM on this site? I haven't found the link if it's there.

Scottlacey
    Free Member

Got a set a few days ago, just watched the you tube vid on how to set them up and will be fitting later. Pictures to follow.

hopster
    Free Member

Love mine. Had them on for a few weeks and have used them loads. Lots better than race blades IMO and many of my friends also use them and no complaints from them either.

Scottlacey
    Free Member

Pictures

Fitted mine and am very pleased although i did have to cut the back one down as suggested on their YouTube video due to the lack of clearance.
    I would also recommend placing the little brush strips at the very end once your happy with the position of everything as i put mine on to early and placed them slightly in the wrong place (bugger)

[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_OzYP4NFlh34/SwPe7XJMD2I/AAAAAAAAAqw/J4Lkn_UV2Eo/P1030152.JPG[/img]

jackthedog
    Free Member

JonEdwards – Member
    Worked straight out the bag on my Condor Pista. A bit of bodging to create some spacers for the set on my other half's Roadrat.

What was the bodging involved to get them to run on the rat?

I fancy fitting some of these to mine (despite the ample clearance – I'm a tart and hate the look of normal guards).

austen

_dredges up an old thread on mudguards on a hot sunny day_

So how did we get on with our Crud Racers over the last year or so?

I’m desperate to drop the hammer on a CAAD10 (if they ever turn up) but have a niggling doubt about how good these will be. I’ve had a look at the bike and fork clearance is tight with 23s, I will have it as my only road bike for year round muddy backlane commute plus fun rides on occasion. I have a full guard steel bike at the moment which could be dredged up in the depths of winter but hope I won’t have to.

How do they work on muddy lanes, do they rub, did anyone end up abandoning them, did anyone have something get stuck betwixt tyre and guard?

Someone reassure me it will all be fine!

njee20
    Free Member

I used them for a year, I think virtually every part broke, they rubbed constantly (they’re kinda designed to), and were generally a bit crap.

The newer style ones look marginally better, but are still far too fragile. If you ever lift the bike onto it’s back wheel (get it into a bike rack or sommat) then they’ll break.

Switched to Race Blades this winter which have been immeasurably better, easier to fit, much more sturdy, keep you just as dry (although I realise the coverage isn’t actually quite as good). I will be able to use them for a second winter too. The Cruds went in the bin – there wasn’t enough left to use!

austen

Hmmm, not the reassurance I was hoping for, but better to know now than make a £1200 error. Thanks for the update njee.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

njee20
    Free Member

£1200 error!? Are you looking at diamond studded mudguards!?

Don’t be put off the bike because Crud Road Racers aren’t good, Race Blades etc will still fit just fine.

RustySpanner

I’ve got the newer ones and they’ve been fine.

I broke the front centre section putting the bike in the car, but got a replacement in a couple of days.

The rear one sways about a bit, but works fine. They don’t rub if you set them up as per the instructions – have only just got round to putting the brushes on, but they were fine without.

Mine were slightly warped out of the box but I reset them using a hairdryer.

I’d use them again on another bike, but might try raceblades as a comparison.

austen

£1200 error as would end up with the wrong bike! The other option at the moment is the Kinesis Gran Fondo which allows traditional guards, albeit only with smallish clearance to 23mm tyres, but I REALLY want the Cannondale.

njee20
    Free Member

So buy it, there’s plenty of guards that’ll fit, even if you don’t like the Cruds.

GW
    Free Member

mine are fitted to 25mm conti 4 seasons, had to file a little recess under the fork crown and there was no way I’d have had enough clearance under the front brake caliper so I cut it off there and it still works really well. just fitted new front brushes today funnily enough.

The newer style ones look marginally better, but are still far too fragile. If you ever lift the bike onto it’s back wheel (get it into a bike rack or sommat) then they’ll break.

this is utter bollox! I store my roadbike on the rear wheel! and don’t really give a shit about it cosmetically so if I’m changing a flat it’s just flipped upside down over the back onto the saddle and levers.

austen

It’s sounding more promising, may just go for another little look in the shop tomorrow…

Thanks all.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I find them a pita to be honest. Wish i had got race blades. The rub brushes didnt last long i have a crack on the rear tail where it joins not bad for 6 months!

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve got them on my Boardman – rub a little but not enough to be a problem. I’ve only done about 500 miles since they’ve been fitted so can’t really comment on durability yet.

No mudguards are going to be pretty, but these aren’t too obtrusive:

matthewjb
    Free Member

I’ve got some on my Trek

Easy to fit and keep the spray off. If it’s muddy then mud can get caught between guard and tyre but it soon goes away.

As others have said, be careful if you lift the bike up on its back tyre. I snapped the end of the back guard doing this.

seanoc
    Free Member

Had some on my Planet X SL; tried everything with them to make them fit. They ended up in a field in Machen after I ripped them off on a particularly rubbing ride.

I got them back out of the field a few weeks later as I’m not one to leave litter. I’ve decided there’s not much wrong with a wet arse, unless it’s really cold – that’s what those Endura eVent 3/4’s are for that were going for £50.

Sean
    ~200k’s a week

druidh
    Free Member

Without exception, every set I’ve seen a customer complain about have been badly fitted – ignoring the actual instructions. Typically, the zip-tie around the brake bolt has been pulled tight, distorting the guard and causing it to rub.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Crud Road Racer Mudguards’ is closed to new replies.