Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Crud Catcher for a + bike
  • SaxonRider

I need to order one to save my mouth and eyes from the crap that my highly skilled and swift riding throws up.

The bike is a Tarn 10, so there is plenty of clearance.

Any suggestions?

rOcKeTdOg

Mudhugger FR or SL

molgrips
    Free Member

Chuffin eck. £70 for a full set!

dovebiker

BBB fatbike of PDW Mudshovel (same thing) long and wide – I cut a couple of notches to give crank clearance. MuckyNutz fender under the forks. Big tyres have the ability to shift prodigious amounts of mud and water.

clubby

Mudhugger FR and 29er rear for me all last winter. Contemplating front extender for this winter.
    Only problem was it’s awkward to lie in car with front wheel off. Modified the small holes into slots so I can use Velcro straps instead of zip ties.

£70 is a bargain to stay pretty dry all winter.

SaxonRider

Not for a guy who doesn’t ride his mountain bike all that often!

I spent 1/3 of that on SKS Raceblade mudguards for my CX that I ride every day, and have stayed dry over the course of one full winter.

EDIT: Anyone use one of the MuckyNutz XL front guards? They’re quite a bit less.

scotroutes

Ah, but you might ride it more often if you stayed cleaner 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

A Crud Catcher is £7.99 FFS.

I see a lot of those MuckyNutz things on bikes. I use one of that kind of thing in addition to a Crud Catcher. Later Cruds are quite wide, so you may get some joy with that setup.

Certainly a lot cheaper.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mucky Nutz Fat Face for a tenner?

There’s a minimalist arse coverer to go with it.

clubby

Mucky Nuts XL is ok. Better front coverage than standard version but nowhere near as good all round as a Mudhugger.
    Anyway price is actually £25 for FR front and £27.50 for rear, so £52.50 a set. Given that they’ll last indefinitely barring accident damage, it’ll be worth it in long term.

Smaller ones are very popular, mainly as they discreet. Once you get over the looks of a proper big guard you won’t go back.

molgrips
    Free Member

Anyway price is actually £25 for FR front and £27.50 for rear, so £52.50 a set.

Plus the extra fat extender for the rear.

rOcKeTdOg

Mudhugger SL is £12.99! Finding it hard to reach £75 ❓

Plus the extra fat extender for the rear.

You dont need it, i use a std 29er on my 4″ wide fat bike tyre, stay mud free

nixie

I’ve used a alpkit fat bike one on the front of my plus bike.

thenorthwind

MuckyNutz have some of their fat Crud Catcher-a-likes for £5.50. Same as the normal listing (unless I’ve missed something) but half price.
    https://muckynutz.com/fat_gut_fender_black

Mudhugger SL is £12.99!

Yes but that’s not a proper mudhugger really is it? It’s the same as the MuckyNutz type things that are available for the same price/cheaper elsewhere.

Proper front mudhugger is £36, or £25 for tyre shorter “race” version. Anyone tried the race version? Worth the saving or cop-out? I could just[/I] about hold my nose and spend 25 quid on a mudguard for one end, if I was in the right mood.

molgrips
    Free Member

OP would need an enduroguard type thing on the fork crown as well if he gets the downtube mounted one due to fork crown/tyre gap. Not a bad option though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

About the same price as a pair of PDW Full Metal. Doesn’t look much of a bargain compared to that, in terms of materials, manufacturing costs etc.

thenorthwind

OP would need an enduroguard type thing on the fork crown as well if he gets the downtube mounted one due to fork crown/tyre gap. Not a bad option though.

Yes, agreed, the downtube guard needs to be used with a MuckyNutz-type guard or Enduroguard. Still cheaper than a mudhugger, depending on exactly what you buy, but not sure how it compares performance-wise. I’m probably never going to find out.

molgrips
    Free Member

The advantage of that combo is that you can put it in a car more easily.

clubby

thenorthwind £36 is the proper fat bike one. I’ve been using the Race version which has extended front and clears Maxxis 2.8 on a boost Yari. It’s £25

scotroutes

I use the Race version with 3″ Nobby Nics and it’s fine.

rOcKeTdOg

Mudhugger SL is £12.99!

Yes but that’s not a proper mudhugger really is it? It’s the same as the MuckyNutz type things that are available for the same price/cheaper elsewhere.

Yep it is, it works really well especially where there’s less clearance such as with a plus tire. And a std 29er fork with 27.5+ tyre

thenorthwind

It seems a conceptually different thing, but let’s not argue about semantics 🙂

I can see how the SL would give you more mud clearance. Molgrips’ point about it getting in the way less with the wheel off makes that look like a better option too.

molgrips
    Free Member

FWIW the OP managed well with just a Crud Catcher that I lent him this afternoon, so is off to buy one.

Seems the later ones, being wider than they used to be, are wide enough for plus.

thenorthwind

Slightly related PSA: CTBM has PDW Mud Shovels at £36 a set. Certainly wide enough.

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/portland-design-works-daves-mud-guards-shovels-fenders-front–rear-12298-p.asp

woody2000

Set of 29er crud guards and a mucky nutz guard do me just fine. The rear just covers a 3″ NN, front is plenty wide enough and the fork brace guard picks up the rest 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Crud Catcher for a + bike’ is closed to new replies.