Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Crows attacking cars. How to deal with?
  • benz
    Free Member

Couple of presumably adolescent crows have started attacking cars in our street.

They seem to prefer the black shiny ones…presumably due to their own reflections.

So…anyone any ideas on how to dissuade said crows from this?

I remember the old days when I could have walked into local hardware shop and bought an air rifle and simply shot them. However, those days have long gone and I’d prefer to avoid having various Heckler & Koch weapons being pointed at me….

Thanks in advance for what I imagine will be an interesting series of responses….

organdonor
    Free Member

Stone ’em

Houns

😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    garage-dweller

Don’t know but the black ones can be so hard to handle.

endurogangster
    Free Member

Blow up sex doll, dress as a scarecrow to scare the crows, use car pool lanes with and a bit of fun in your lunch hour! 3 birds 1 sexy doll. Sorted!

Drac

Spray them with Kia Ora.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Spray them with Kia Ora.

I have nothing worthwhile to add, but that comment is funny enough to justify recognition 😆

organdonor
    Free Member

Spray them with Kia Ora.

It’s too orangey for crows

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Dealing with lots of crows can be murder.

Moses

That’s a bit literary, Flashy.

Cover the cars in grot so they don’t reflect the yobbish corvids.

fasthaggis

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think it’s unlikely to be because of their own reflections, I’m assuming they haven’t also started attacking puddles.

IME crows will repeatedly stab their perches woodpecker style when frustrated and/or angry, no idea why – it seems such a human reaction. I suspect that what they are doing to cars is along those lines, they possibly also enjoy the noise it makes. They also are attracted to shiny objects and will repeatedly stab something if they’re not sure what it is – possibly to see how it reacts.

Crows are frighteningly intelligent creatures so normal typical-bird related explanations are not always appropriate.

Sorry none of this helps you with your problem and I can’t offer a solution, although I would be surprised if this behaviour persisted – I would expect them to soon get bored with it and find something else to occupy their very unbirdlike brains.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

We had this a few years back but with them attacking two bedroom windows. What worked for us was sitting lots of my son’s stuffed toys on the window sills.

Big bad crows scared of teddy bears!

Stick a few on the dashboard.

kayak23

Maybe paint all of the cars in the street in a Matt green paint?
    Other colours may work just as well.

bruneep

for the youngsters

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SAUZGuLrmM[/video]

There is a crow at our work who picks off the rubbers from wiper blades..bastid

gwaelod
    Free Member

Mother nature revolting, had to happen sooner or later..you are now living in the last half hour of Avatar!

trail_rat
    Free Member

On the subject of crows…..when do they leave the nest ?

Got a family living in my back unused chimney…….they have to go.

The young are leaving the nest and by god they are noisy.

Once they leave ill remove the next and block the chimney with chicken wire.

itstig

They will be jackdaws in the chimney same corvid family as crows. We netted a chimney the buggers worked at it for ages got around it and eventually pulled it off, still nest there now.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Do you happen to know a falconer or anyone with a bird of prey that could fly around a bit. Saw this being used to remove seagulls last week.

You can get bird of prey shaped kites, farmers use them to keep other birds off crops.

senick
    Free Member

Diversion ?

Have a whip round car owners & buy a £10 mirror from Argos
    Give them something else to look at / admire themselves in /peck at ?

If theyre very intelligent maybe theyre jealous – larger whip round – buy them them their own car ?
    Nothing flash, little black run around, but tell them they have to pay for their own lessons..

Long shot

joespencer33
    Free Member

I got half way down the thread before realising this was about crows not cows

gwaelod
    Free Member

That sounds like a que for someone to post a Gary Larson cartoon

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

it’s not only crows you have to look out for- we once set up our caravan in a small farm site with sheep around-one old sheep walked past my newly cleaned car-took a double take at it’s reflection in the car door and promptly butted it—-twice
    moved on then—–

pictonroad

Friend of mine rented a very nice cottage on an estate. One of the local peahens took great exception to his silver car. Pecked at the side leaving hundreds of tiny chips in the lacquer.

He ate it.

pondo

Do you happen to know a falconer or anyone with a bird of prey that could fly around a bit. Saw this being used to remove seagulls last week.

Crows will just mock a bird of prey and drive it off, I don’t think they’re bothered by them.

Stone ’em

Is my favourite, although there’s some good work in this thread! 🙂

agent007
    Free Member

Who ya gonna call!

Crowbusters

MrWoppit
    Free Member

maccruiskeen

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLToN2pjik8[/video]

maccruiskeen

Once they leave ill remove the next and block the chimney with chicken wire.

That should make a perfect foundation for next years nest :-). Chat you your local chimney sweep about something properly crow proof, local populations of crows learn the trick of overcoming certain deterrents so you need a solution that works locally to you

project
    Free Member

Post it up on TWITTER, or print out a link to this thead and place on roof of car, when they read it they will all fly off.

kerbdog
    Free Member

Sounds like you need to get yourself an army of wildlings.

hora
    Free Member

We had two birds attacking our rear bedroom window- really scratched/marked it- from dawn to dusk all day. Obviously at their own reflection.

Things that work- hand cd’s that spin (hard on a car). Or find their nest and decimated it.

The latter worked for me.

wwaswas

Or find their nest and decimated it.

although this approach is illegal.

hora
    Free Member

So is speeding.

wwaswas

So is speeding.

maccruiskeen

So is speeding.

You can ask, during mitigation and sentencing, for previous offences to be taken into consideration. Is that what you’re doing here? 🙂

unovolo
    Free Member

Smear excrement on the cars that should keep them away(and possible everyone/thing else).

13thfloormonk

decimate it

A family of crows with one tenth less of a nest to return to are only going to get angrier I would have thought… 8)

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Crows attacking cars. How to deal with?’ is closed to new replies.