Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Crown races – do I need a specific one or will anything do?
  • Speeder

I’m fitting a Spiner suspension fork to my lads Orbea MX20 and would like to get a new crown race for it so I can easily swap back to the rigids if need be.

It appears to be an FSA headset as that’s the logo volcano top cap has but I can’t identify it from that.  Anyone had any success with any old random crown race in their headset or know what it might be.  Orbea call it semi integrated if it helps pin it down.

Cheers

G

dovebiker

The huge majority are interchangeable IME as the angle has standardised at 45 degrees

bigyinn
    Free Member

If its a cartridge bearing headset and you have the orginal crown race, just take it off the old fork and then cut a slot in it to allow for easy removal in the future.

If its caged bearings obviously you cant do this.

scotroutes

If its a cartridge bearing headset

then it’s not a crown race. 😊

And, if so, then cutting a slot in it will do no harm and make fitting and removal a doddle.

DezB
    Free Member

then it’s not a crown race

Eh? What is it then?

daern
    Free Member

then it’s not a crown race.

I think you’re being a little pedantic here. Technically they may not be a race as the bearings don’t run in them, but everyone still refers to them as “crown race” regardless, even though they are really just “a bit of metal fitted to the steerer to support the lower cartridge bearing”. And as Hope still call ’em “crown races” in their technical guide, then it’s good enough for me!

You just need to make sure that they match the internal angle of the headset bearing, but otherwise I’ve found them pretty interchangable. I always use slotted ones as you can fit / remove without any special tools and Hope ones have a nice slot in the outside edge to take a rubber seal to keep the winter out of the bearing – always a good thing in my book.

scotroutes

I think you’re being a little pedantic here. Technically they may not be a race as the bearings don’t run in them, but everyone still refers to them as “crown race” regardless, even though they are really just “a bit of metal fitted to the steerer to support the lower cartridge bearing”.

Hence the smiley and the fact I offered the advice regardless.

(Chris King call it a Baseplate)

Jeez – tough crowd today. …

daern
    Free Member

Jeez – tough crowd today. …

Please….try the fish 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

cutting a slot in it will do no harm and make fitting and removal a doddle.

Is there an echo in here?

granny_ring

I might have a spare FSA one in the ‘box’ if you’re still trying to sort.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Crown races – do I need a specific one or will anything do?’ is closed to new replies.