Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Crown race stuck on carbon steerer, any tips.
  • scruff
    Free Member

Been on there since new so at least 10 months, currently soaking with gt85. Very small gap all way round can just get electrical screwdriver in but its not budging. No larger gaps to get proper whacker in. Any tips?

BearBack
    Free Member

de tuned chisel or

spread the load

parkesie
    Free Member

Proper crown race remover

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johnikgriff
    Free Member

^^^^ this

johnikgriff
    Free Member

You can borrow mine if your close😉

Or LBS

scotroutes

Apply some heat to it. Boiling water ought to do it. That should expand the “crown race” enough to loosen it off. I use that technique when fitting it too. Makes it much easier to slip it on.

I also cut my “crown races” to remove this problem permanently.

fooman

You can use a blade like on a leatherman (or one of your best kitchen knives!) go round the race with the sharp edge tapping it in with a small hammer, that’ll get it moving, then hide the knife in the bottom of the cutlery drawer.

stoddys
    Free Member

I tried the leather an approach before but gave up.

went to my local garage and used their bearing puller thing, did the job nicely.

trail_rat
    Free Member

A knife edge puller is the tool for the job.

ransos
    Free Member

I got one off by hammering a Stanley blade into the gap. That was a steel steerer though.

granny_ring

Use a proper race remover as it’ll be even pressure. I’ve got the Icetoolz one, I would link it but thanks to the poxy forum at the moment there are no link buttons I can use….around £25 anyway.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Crown race stuck on carbon steerer, any tips.’ is closed to new replies.