Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Crown race removal shashafasnnnnnn grrrrrrrr!
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Taping away for ten mins and not budgin! Have they all got the rubber bit on the outer edge? I’m slowly destroying it, using rubber mallet and paint scrapper but don’t seem to be anywhere near getting right under it!

Drac

Proper hammer and a screwdriver.

donsimon
    Free Member

FBH.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Yeah can’t beat a bit if metal on metal in this case!

scaredypants

rubber mallet & nice sharp chisel for me – if you’re capable of being careful

MrKmkII
    Free Member

oh! old knife blade and rubber mallet here. the wedge needs to be really thin to get under the race. ime

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I gave up . . . .

The Cane creek s8 crown race seems to have a rubber ring under and to it’s outer extremity, that makes it very difficult to get a gap at all to work on, anyone else had this problem? Where the minimal gap is or should be is bunged by this rubber . . .

I’m considering trying to get the rubber part off, so I can get under it properly, but it does appear to be integrated as an integral part of the race?

Just watched a you-tube video, but their crown race didn’t have this rubber bit on!

wwaswas

use a stanley knife blade (not in the knife) – fits under the rubber bit without cutting it.

a screwdriver is to wide.

LoCo
    Free Member

Take it to your LBS for them to remove with a proper removal tool, will probably work out cheaper than a new crown race.
    I use a variety of methods depending on the race design, most of which are list above.

jedi

use a bigger hammer and screwdriver. drink beers first for extra points

smoggy
    Free Member

Old butter knife and hammer always works for me, if not all you need is a big rock.

D0NK

Old sharp knife and hammer/mallet, wedge blade between headset race and fork crown, once you’ve moved it away from the fork crown then lever/bash it off with a screwdriver.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I think I just need to whack harder . . . ! 😯

highclimber
    Free Member

My Lbs did mine FOC as its such a simple job for such a massive, expensive piece of equipment

uplink
    Free Member

I did one last week on a pair of carbon road forks, totally welded on it was, with no gaps at all under it

Resorted to taking a Dremel to it it the end

scaredypants

if not all you need is a big rock

that’s cranksets, not headsets 😉

Extra points for sharpness of implement and, obviously, the fewer strikes needed – possibly also bonus for bloodshed ?

ziwi
    Free Member

If you do it often, get one of these – only £20 and they do the job brilliantly – including those rubbery Cane Creek ones…may not help you today though.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55939&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=Google-Products-UK

If you live in surrey – happy to help

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer, West Mids DY1 if anyone local has something similar!!

jameso

old knife blade and rubber mallet here

that’s the way to do it.. eases it off without risk of slippage messing up your fork. I find a (cutlery) knife blade and a small hammer used lightly to avoid knocking it into the actual steerer works well, then gently drift it off with the hammer and something blunt.

D0NK

Ziwi can you confirm if those work with marzocchi ‘M’ crown forks?

takisawa2

Using that tool ^^ is not much different to what a carefully positioned wood chisel would do, so get a chisel with a nice keen edge & tap carefully.

D0NK

I know takisawa but it is nicer/easier to use the correct tool, I’m not going to shell out £200 for a headset press when a threaded bar is £2, but £25 for one of those I can manage, should be a lot better for seized races too.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Break open the bubbly! Done it, Stanley blade worked a treat! Thanks for the advice.

juiced
    Free Member

take it to your lbs with a drooped head and say you got it like that 😯

HermanShake
    Free Member

Wood chisel+1

Tried lots of other things but the chamfer/bevel manages to creep under quite nicely.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

get the tool…

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Crown race removal shashafasnnnnnn grrrrrrrr!’ is closed to new replies.