• This topic has 147 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by grum.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 148 total)
  • Crossrail to be called "Elizabeth Line" ffs
  • konabunny
    Free Member

Her Majesty the Queen today visited the under-construction Crossrail station at Bond Street as the Mayor of London, Boris Johnson MP, announced that the new railway will be known as the Elizabeth line in her honour.

In 2013, the celebrations of London Underground’s 150th anniversary saw The Prince of Wales and Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cornwall take a trip on the Underground, and Her Majesty The Queen, His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh and Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge visit Baker Street station.
    http://www.crossrail.co.uk/news/articles/crossrail-to-become-the-elizabeth-line-in-honour-of-her-majesty-the-queen#
    Toadying sycophantic cobblers. Pass the sick bag. It is beyond parody that the fact that someone caught a tube three years ago is remarked upon in the context of trying to articulate a connection between the royal family and public transport. We rightly laugh at tinpot countries that pdefend their leaders cure cancer, wrestle bears and shoot holes in one all day, and then we go and do stuff like this.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Should have been the Crowe Line. 🙂

jamj1974

Yep. It’s complete claptrap all right! Annoys the hell out of me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Start a petition.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Would one to stop you going on about petitions work I wonder?

Houns

Couldn’t give a toss really,not a bad name for it

kimbers

shoulda been the charles line

coz we know them city boys all love a line of charlie 😉

until we can ditch the monarchy entirely ( along with the unelected upper house) well have to put up with this bullshit

vive la revolution!

onehundredthidiot

To unashamedly steal from another thread.

It’s in a hole, the coffees and food are sub par, the parking in expensive and the toilets aren’t available for late night usage.

I, for one, am never setting foot in it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Crowe line was rather funny

konabunny
    Free Member

Couldn’t give a toss really,not a bad name for it

Stupid name. Worse than just “crossrail”. As bad as “Overground” but for different reasons.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Well, you can at least say you’re going to ride Liz 😉

Not that it really affects the plebs much. It’s primarily a direct line between Heathrow and Canary Wharf for rich bankers.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Most Bankers use East London Airport.
    Direct to all the European Financial capitals, in comfort, on expenses. 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m still seething over the Jubilee Line.

And don’t get me started about Victoria Station.

Stoner
    Free Member

Not to mention Waterloo. Imperialist bollox the lot of it!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

hurrah, hurrah and thrice hurrah

And nice purple livery too….

scotroutes

Named after the sponge, surely?

PH1

I can’t see a problem with it….but then I’m pro royalist unlike you lot of anti royalist, Corbyn loving lefties!

Northwind

Very appropriate name tbh- it’s expensive, it’s been going for the best part of a century and still not done, and it’s a way for money to flow from all round the country to pay for something in London.

Ah, my heart’s not in it tbh.

lucky7500

I’m still seething over the Jubilee Line.

And don’t get me started about Victoria Station. and presumably the Victoria line, Victoria & Albert museum, Albert Hall, every Royal borough, Tower Hamlets, Regent street etc etc.

aracer
    Free Member

Mornington Crescent

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Who actually cares…

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Start a petition.

That’s a bit strong, maybe a facebook page to start with

ninfan
    Free Member

I reckon you lot would be happier in the North East

Northwind

They have a street named after a 2000AD character

(this joke is not likely to work, but **** it)

jamj1974

Who cares about the historic stuff – no need to change it. This is about today.

aracer
    Free Member

I had to google, but I did at least guess right first time 😉

colournoise

Northwind – Member

(this joke is not likely to work, but **** it)
    Huh? I can’t see Ukko Avenue anywhere on that map.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I assume this was the sensible compromise that emerged from a meeting where the name “Lady Thatcher Line” was seriously proposed by a patriotic young man in a pinstripe suit.

🙂

senorj

I’m with Konabunny on this one – Bloody Boris ( future PM 🙁 ) has already named the Olympic park after her…isn’t that enough?
    You’d think he was after a knighthood. Pah.

Pigface
    Free Member

No doubt will affectionately be known as the Lizzie line by the readers of the M*il

konabunny
    Free Member

It’s in a hole, the coffees and food are sub par, the parking in expensive and the toilets aren’t available for late night usage.
    I, for one, am never setting foot in it.

Just you wait until the northern powerhouse is using the Sir David of Cameron motorway interchange.

Cougar

Something In London named after Something Else In London shocker!

Like the rest of the country North of Watford I can barely care sufficiently to click Send.

the-muffin-man

We have ‘Lara Croft Way’ in Derby!

allthepies
    Free Member

Mandela line FTW.

nickc

Thargg Crescent?

IHN

I’m going to put this on my ‘essentially inconsequential things that people give far too much of f%£& about’ list.

grum
    Free Member

Presumably its named after her because she paid for it all, right? I mean it can’t just be another example of London hoovering up massive transport subsidies while the rest of the country is left to rot surely?

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’ll be named to appeal to the Asian Tourist market. They all love a bit of Liz and Pomp, this means when they all fly in from the long hauls, they’ll hop on a heritage line all the way to Shiny Town. They’ll then hop on the chug chug DLR to QEOP for a meander amongst John Lewis and M&S, buy up Burberry tat then head back into the Old Town on the Jubilee Line to the Mall at Green Park and soft foot it down the Mall to Buck Hse. Supper in Fortnums or SellFridges then Black Cab it back to Heathrow to another destination on their world tour.

You could do that in a day easy.

😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

Briliant name. Love the choice of Royal Purple too.

I mean it can’t just be another example of London hoovering up massive transport subsidies while the rest of the country is left to rot surely?

London pays £32bn in taxes to the rest of country over and above what it receives in spending. What is it 10% of property stamp duty nationally comes from just two London Boroughs. We pay the bills for the rest of the UK which is quite normal for a capital city.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

One day the ground you’re standing on will be in another part of the planet and deep undersea…

mefty
    Free Member

It’s a disgrace that so few things are named after our greatest ever monarch – everything should be named after her and we should put up with the practical difficulties of not being able to distinguish between things – it is the least she deserves for all her years of wonderful service.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘Crossrail to be called "Elizabeth Line" ffs’ is closed to new replies.