Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 'Cross tyres, too wide to get past brakes to get the wheel off!! ???
  • codybrennan
    Free Member

Odd one this. I’ve just bought a second-hand Genesis Vapour- nice bike.

The previous owner has fitted humungous wide tyres; 31 or 32mm, I think.

My problem is: it also has canti brakes, and I cant get the wheel off without either deflating the tyre, or removing the brake blocks/shoes.

Am I daft?

wwaswas

yes. There’s normally an end to one of the straddle wires that, if you push the brakes against the rims, will just pull out of the brake arm.

simon1975

Can’t you unhook the bridging wire on the brakes?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Is there not enough in it if you just release the cable on one side of the yoke/splitter? I use 32c tyres on mine which has cantis and it is generally ok.

mattmbk
    Free Member

Even with the brake bridging wire undone I can’t remove the front wheel on my Cannondale CaadX, the pads hit the inside of the forks. Only option is too deflate the tyre until it drops out.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thanks for all your responses- mattmbk has it- I should have said that even releasing the straddle wire doesn’t provide enough clearance.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I feel quite deflated (oh ho ho ho)

🙂

mattsccm
    Free Member

Of course if you had Campag shifters you would just pop the QR thingies on the levers.

nedrapier

I had the same problem on my dekerf, pads hit the stays and wouldn’t let anything bigger than 2.0 through without deflating first.

I solved it by getting a disc mount brazed on and the canti bosses removed. 2.4″ x-kings in there now.

Bit sledgehammer/nut if you’re otherwise happy with the bike, though!

bigyinn
    Free Member

mattsccm – Member

Of course if you had Campag shifters you would just pop the QR thingies on the levers.
    And still have to deflate the tyre!

andytherocketeer

Doesn’t matter if QR is at lever or pad end.

On mine the brake blocks are long enough that the frame stays prevent them from fully opening. Fortunately with 32mm tyres, the wheel can be gently coerced past the brake blocks when the tyres are inflated, but only just.

qwerty
    Free Member

Always been this way on mine, just have to deflate the tyre and remember to pump it up once the wheel is fitted.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘'Cross tyres, too wide to get past brakes to get the wheel off!! ???’ is closed to new replies.