Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cross tyres and MTB tyres on the same rim?
  • mayan
    Free Member

I know they’ll fit, but I’m wondering if anyone is using the same rim for both 32 – 35mm cross tyres and for 2.0 – 2.2″ MTB tyres?

I have a nice set of cross race wheels built on DT 240 disc hubs with CXP33 rims and was wondering if I could put some 29er race weight tyres on there and use them for racing the 29er?

I’m guessing the CXP 33 is quite narrow, is there another rim that I could rebuild the hubs with that would build into a good race set for both cross and MTB? Must be tubeless compatible, rim brake compatible, wide, light, preferably not carbon (otherwise would I need to change the brake pads on the canti brakes when I swap between race / training wheels?).

thanks

nedrapier

Yup. I use 2.1 Thunder Burts, 2.0 Race Kings, 2.0 Fat Franks, 35c cross tyres, 35c touring slicks, 28c and 25c road tyres on Open Pros and Stans Alpha 340.

No problems.

I’d get Stans Grail if I was buying now.

scotroutes

You’ll be fine. I’ve done it with Open Pros, Arch EX, XM719s. Rim width isn’t an issue from your list of requirements.

nedrapier

Options are a little greater if you don’t need to use road tyres at road pressures – eg Stans Crest, Iron Cross etc (other rim manufacturers are available!)

mayan
    Free Member

Thanks,

I was hoping not to have to replace the rims, and I think open pros are pretty much the same width as cpx33’s so I’ll give it a go.

Any new rim seems to be disc brake specific, which would mean a load more money to convert the cross bike to discs

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Iron Cross rims are the same profile as the old Stans Alpine mtb rim.

nemesis
    Free Member

I have Arch EX on my CX bike and also on one of my mtbs. 35mm tyres on the CX and obv mtb tyres on the mtb.

No problem with either.

thomthumb
    Free Member

not at the same time!

cynic-al
    Free Member

23mm tyres through to 2.3″ on my Open Pro’s.

benji
    Free Member

I’m using Mavic Crossmax SLR’s on my crossbike and on my XC full susser, so Rocket Rons in a 35 and a 2.125 no problems.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cross tyres and MTB tyres on the same rim?’ is closed to new replies.