Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cross country alpine biking base in the Alps
  • sambuka
    Free Member

If you could buy a property in the Alps, where would you buy and why? Let’s say you like xc mtb, skiing and canoeing… Not so keen on crowds and glitz…

hot_fiat

Mayrhofen

Superb ski area, stunning summer high alpine trails but still a big town so supermarkets are not bonkers expensive. 40 minutes down the road and you’re in Innsbruck another hour and you can be in Salzburg or Munich.

Oh and o/h is fluent in German. We have plans to go for a year when bambino_fiat is about three.

luffy105
    Free Member

Bourg st Maurice, France. Nice little town with all of the above.

robarnold
    Free Member

+1 for BSM

Shackleton

Bourg? Crowds in summer? Not so much (other than brits on mountain bike holidays).

Winter? It feeds straight into Les Arcs / La Plagne, is spitting distance from La Rosiere (and therefore La Thuile) and St Foy. Winter will most definitely not be quiet in BSM!

If you like paddling then Briancon always seems to be full of the buggers when I go through, skiing nearby, lots of ice climbing and I’m sure there are bike trails galore.

wallop

I love Bourg. The Super U is my spiritual home.

captcaveman
    Free Member

Bourg also has an International white water course for paddlers and loads of XC stuff , as opposed to “Alpine” stuff that you get in Morzine or Les Gets (though it has some of that too!)

ianv
    Free Member

Briancon and south towards Roche de Ram/Embrun Plenty of smaller ski stations, loads of white water and decent riding

Barcellonette, pretty much as above as well

alpin
    Free Member

Vinschgau in South Tyrol… he most hours of sunshine in the Northern Alps. right next to Mern – a lovely town with nice shops, bars and restaurants, 45 mins from Bozen, 1,5hr to Innsbruck.

snow line rarely reaches below 1000m in winter meaning the you can always ride up a few hundred metres to the trails. surrounded by 3000ers with some awesome skiing both on and off piste.

some fantastic local wines and lots of apples.

wouldn’t choose Mayrhofen personally. some good trails, but you’re technically not allowed to ride many of them due to the high number of walkers and the valley gets too much snow in the winter months. plus the traffic going either in or out of the valley on weekends is horrendous.

sambuka
    Free Member

Do you think a place in Bourg would be rentable to tourists?

colp

Maria Alm in Austria, 15 minutes from Leogang and plenty of XC around.
    Vinschgau does look ace though!

😳
    Apartment Amade – Maria Alm, Austria.
    🙄

luffy105
    Free Member

You can definitely rent a place in Bourg, Many do

sambuka
    Free Member

Would anyone here choose to holiday in Bourg or would you rather be properly in the mountains? Eg les arc or morzine

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Serre Chevalier.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@sambuka – would I stay in BSM ? In summer possibly, in winter no as I’d want to be in a resort.

Chamonix is the ultimate summer and winter alpine playground.

Of you can handle swiss prices somewhere below Verbier, Les Chables or possibly Buson. Summer water sports a bit lacking unless you include Lake Geneva

wallop

In summer, I would rather be in Bourg than up in Les Arcs. 1600, 1800 et al, are all a bit quiet in the evenings.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cross country alpine biking base in the Alps’ is closed to new replies.