• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by aP.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Cross bike or 29er?
  • skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I now live in “flat as hell” Kansas and really need to get back into a little more riding. When I lived in Glasgow there was plenty of choice for riding as often as I liked, but “proper” riding here means a 4/5 hr drive to the Rockies in Colorado. At the moment I have a Blur LTc, a 224 and a Trek Madone, so strictly speaking I have nothing to complain about. There are however miles and miles and miles of flat dirt roads around here, so although I can rack up the mileage on my madone, I have to share the paved roads with american drivers… I have been riding around on my Blur, but it feels like total overkill…

So, basically what do you think is best for mainly dirt road a cross bike or a rigid 29er?

I absolutely love the look of the Niner Air 9 Carbon, and the Yeti Big Top, but my brain thinks a cross bike like the Arc-X would be more sensible… What are people’s experiences for mainly fire road use?
    It’s also worth pointing out that bike shops are non-existant here, so not really any chance of trying before I buy…

starrman82
    Free Member

I’d go Cross Bike. On dry fire rolling track type rides they can be really fast. I use one on Salisbury plain that goes like concrete during the summer so the CX is fast & smooth.

That said I also like the look of the Niner Air.. 🙂

epicyclo

If you put Big Apples on a 29er you might be amazed how fast it rolls.

letmetalktomark

How about both in one?

I love my Swift with cross tyres on – even more than I did with fat tyres

Sam

Monstercross?

Gryphon geared in the studio by Singular Cycles, on Flickr

aP
    Free Member

Just put 25s on your Madone and ride it on the dirt roads, you’ll certainly improve your bike handling.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Cross bike or 29er?’ is closed to new replies.