Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 419 total)
  • Cross 19/20
  • ferrals
    Free Member

Organisation/marshalling duties for me this weekend for the Welsh league. On Saturday we were setting up in torrential rain, digging trenches to try and drain flooded areas, and generally watching sheets of water run across the whole event area. Miraculously the rain stopped some time during the night and by the time we arrived at 7am on the Sunday things weren’t looking too bad, with the course drying out further before the racing got underway at 0930. We were prety lucky to have glorious sunshine given the weather on Saturday, and its bucketing down again today.

Normally I try and set-up / help out and then still race at our event, but this year, being more involved with the organisation, I decided to make life simpler, skip racing and just marshall all day. really enjoyed myself encouraging/heckling, especially for the mens race where I was stationed on a tricky corner where a proper decent rut had developed.

jonba
    Free Member

Double header for me. NECCL on saturday. Muddy with plenty of running.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4U29IBFgzj/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

My bike wasn’t working all that great again. I had a quick turn around to Sunday and at least now have an answer to the chain suck issues as I noticed a couple of damaged teeth on the chain rings. No time to fix it so just had to go with it on Sunday.

Early start for CXNE as I was also on marshalling duties as my team were organising.

By the senior race is was cut up and probably 20% running.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4as4wVF39p/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Managed 4th on saturday despite bike issues but was feeling the effect of the effort and only came in 11th on Sunday.

Next weeks race organiser for Saturday has just posted up this

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/73533043_10158986411204992_5248194708496187392_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_oc=AQlqpoSCJE0v04rZbw8AdTw04of3rA6D8qf7CrS1xWg5yufD9zh2kfkgdycz_FrZyH8&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=f2b416e736f44a5e9641ee0f15347e71&oe=5E4803DFmore mud

It was the only really muddy race last year in what was a dry season. It’s barely worth taking a bike 🙁

Sunday is also on a notoriously muddy course and we raced there a couple of weeks ago and left it in a bad way. I miss my grass grit races now 🙁

Garry_Lager

Looks like some proper cross racing took place at the weekend, up and down the land – great stuff.
    I was at Stadt Moers and it was a bike-killer, absolute glue mud – shouldering the bike and thinking there’s no way it should feel this heavy.
    I got a good result for me, came in 21st and ahead of some folk who are normally way in front of me – 100% down to having a pit person and bike changes. The lad I was chasing did it all on one bike which was impressive – perhaps he had a secret puddle he was riding through each lap. Noticed he was on a superX which are meant to be very good for mud clearance.

The running was punishing. I’m normally OK at the uphill runups as they’re more like a power sprint, but bike-on-shoulder tempo running for long stretches is a different story. Think everyone round me was in the same boat, though – didn’t see anyone legging it at speed through that wooded stretch, they all looked like they were suffering.

ferrals
    Free Member

Does sound like the whole UK is in full mud mode. Hardly surprising: https://twitter.com/DaveThroupEA/status/1190962676358426624

Well, against my better judgement I’ve entered the National Trophy at Pembrey. There have been a few cancellations in the Welsh league so without doing the trophy wouldn’t be racing till Decmvber otherwise. Assuming I have enough BC points/there are few enough entries to be actually able to race, I’m just hoping to make 26 minutes without being 80%-ed so that I’m not paying over £1 per minute racing 🙂

twinklydave

Stadt was great! Proper on/off/on/off run/ride/run/ride stuff, tough, but it was still more riding that running even after the deluge the night before.
    Yes, anyone with more than one bike was at an advantage, but that’s cyclocross – better that than a race to see who’s best at clearing mud out of a drivechain with a stick at the side of the course! 🙂

Genuinely looking forward to more hard racing in the NW league now. Ulverston should have less running in it, based on ground conditions there before, even if it stays wet. Can’t wait!

plop-pants
    Free Member

National Trophy for me this weekend, my club’s event too. Helped put the course up last Saturday in biblical weather. It’s a little bit different to last year. The steps have been rebuilt and are much easier. The bomb hole has an extra visit with a short but steep drop. I’m told all the ride-able climbs are on gravel. I’m also told the site drains well which is just as well as it was a swamp!
    I’m in the v60s on Saturday, good chance of a top ten finish seeing as there are only nine of us!

Garry_Lager

Mulling over a new race bike, probably a superX – what do folk think about the groupset on a race bike, is it something you care about above a certain minimum standard? I’m sorted for wheels, and not sure I GAS about running apex v force v ultegra v whatever in a cyclocross race. Any features of the higher end groupsets worth paying for do you think?

mashr

If you’re concerned about mud ripping off your mech then you’ve spent too much. Otherwise get whatever you like (that’s 1x)

ferrals
    Free Member

Can’t comment on SRAM – but pschologically I’m happier with a clutch mech with 1by so if shimano I’d want an ultegra RX / GRX rear mech. But you can always switch the rear mech without loads of extra cost.

I actually prefer the feel of the tiagra on my commuter/pti bike than the 105 on my ‘good bike’

twinklydave

not sure I GAS about running apex v force v ultegra v whatever in a cyclocross race. Any features of the higher end groupsets worth paying for do you think?

Race what you can afford to replace 🙂

I’m running 105 on both bikes and don’t miss anything from the Dura Ace on my road bike. I’ve got an Ultegra clutch mech on one bike (with no chain retention device by the chainring) and a 105 mech (with the spring tension wound up) on the other bike, with a chainkeeper.
    Number of dropped chains this season is equal on both bikes and on all occasions due to mud build up on the chainring. Not sure I’d bother with the clutch mech again TBH.

steve_b77
    Free Member

With regards to SRAM Apex shifters are a bit shit as the internals are steel and they rust up very easily, Rival are at least stainless with better bearings / brushing, force are better still with some Ti.

Mechs are mechs, I can’t tell the difference between the Force on one and the Apex on the other.

mick_r

My Apex levers still seem to work after a couple of years cx. Sram mtb clutch mech they are paired with isn’t very clutchy anymore but chain seems to stay on. Seizing jockey wheels (all brands but Sram worst) and ht2 bbs seem to be our main issues.

Chickened out of Stadt Moers. Work is manic and just couldn’t face additional jobs like clean up of kit for 3 people. Hopefully be in a better place for Ulverston.

Garry_Lager

Hope to see you there Mick – don’t normally make the trip to Cumbria, but planning on going up and making a weekend of it with the family.

Thks all for the thoughts on groupset – 105 derailleur has been superb for me at chain retention, just on a narrow wide chainring with a jumpstop, v rarely dropped a chain even in the heaviest of conditions. Shifting, OTOH, around a 34 cassette can get a bit iffy IME. Recently tried an ultegra mech not for the clutch but because it’s comfy on a 36 cassette, and it seems pretty smooth thus far. But I’d not be happy at ripping a £70 mech off in a race so perhaps I’ve gone OTT there.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Not directly related to grown up CX, but I’m building up Son No.1 crimbo pressie over the next few weeks, it’s got 700c wheels and I’ve got a choice of 4 sets of tyres to put on it.

33c Schwalbe Rocket Ron TLE
    32c Challenge Griffo
    33c Vittoria Terreno Mix TNT
    33c Schwalbe X-One all round TLR

For all round mini CX which would deal best with the inevitable mud he’s going to face after Christmas? He’s currently on a 24″ wheeled bike with Kenda Kross, which aren’t bad really, although he has complained about lack of uphill grip under power 🤣

john_l
    Free Member

Terranos from that list, I’d think.

Nat Trophy this weekend for me too. I see there are a couple of new water features 😉

What’s a rear mech?

steve_b77
    Free Member

My Apex levers still seem to work after a couple of years cx

Are they mechanical or hydro, my mate (Guy Groves) in the V40 had no end of issues with his hydro Apex, multiple trips back to the shop and ultimately they changed them for Red’s as they just couldn’t guarantee reliable shifting with the Apex.

mick_r

Apex mechanical. So I have gears but no brakes after 30mins of pad wearing gloop 🙂

Just caught a fleeting glimpse of twinklydave at B&Q. He appears to be fast everywhere……

twinklydave

I’ve got a choice of 4 sets of tyres to put on it.

33c Schwalbe Rocket Ron TLE
    32c Challenge Griffo
    33c Vittoria Terreno Mix TNT
    33c Schwalbe X-One all round TLR

I’d go with the Terranos (the Terrano Wets I’m running have been very good so far this season). Failing that, Griffos can cope with more than you’d imagine.

Just caught a fleeting glimpse of twinklydave at B&Q

LOL, shopping for more tools to bodge cx bikes back together 🙂

john_l
    Free Member

National Trophy at Ardingley was a proper mudfest and made for very challenging riding, let alone racing!

Couple of offs and dropped chains and happy to have finished. Great event and congratulations to Ian Field – the only non-Belgian in the top 20 elite!

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@Garry_Lager the SuperX as odd rear wheel dishing/offset so although it’s a lovely bike with good mud clearance you will struggle to get off the shelf wheels for it. As someone who goes to my friendly local wheel builder this wouldn’t be an issue but others may vary.
    As for groupset; I prefer Shimano over SRAM given a choice but my race bike is sram rival and has only given me grief when mud got in the shifter and blocked he cable from moving. The hydro brakes are great.

LS
    Free Member

Ian Field – the only non-Belgian in the top 20 elite!

Not quite, but close enough!

Garry_Lager

Did Alyn waters in the N Wales league yesterday – if you thought Stadt Moers didn’t really have enough running or mud for a proper cross race, this would have been right up your street – even had its own swamp (plus no bike changes permitted!).
    Had a bit of a low level cold so thought I’d just ride round and see how I felt, but there is no ‘just riding round’ on a course like that. Ended up going pretty deep and now feeling rather rough, but think I enjoyed myself. Thanks to Fibrax Wrexham Roads Club for laying on a beast of a course.

photo is from Richard Evans

oliverracing

The wessex/Swindon course was good fun – nice balance of unridable mud with a few slippyery off cambers and turns! Was going really well, beating guys that normally beat me but then dropped my chain (first time ever with NW+clutch), got it back on but it sounded rough and then quickly snapped. Did run about 1/5 the lap but soon realised the chain was getting caught in the mech (and wrapped around the cassette) and likely to do more serious damage so I retired – on the plus side there wasn’t a queue for the hose and got home by 5pm!

New chain on order as it’s failed badly plus also bent in one other place. Also gonna try to design a beefy chain catcher/cleaner as convinced if was killed by slightly derailing off the chainring

Garry_Lager

the SuperX as odd rear wheel dishing/offset so although it’s a lovely bike with good mud clearance you will struggle to get off the shelf wheels for it. As someone who goes to my friendly local wheel builder this wouldn’t be an issue but others may vary.
    As for groupset; I prefer Shimano over SRAM given a choice but my race bike is sram rival and has only given me grief when mud got in the shifter and blocked he cable from moving. The hydro brakes are great.

The SuperX rear end is awkward right enough, but I think I’d be fine just getting my rear tub dished for it as a race wheel. It would be more of a hassle for just riding it round on the roads and bridleways out of CX season (I use my cross bike for the little roadying I do). I think you might get a normal rear wheel in there for road use; if you can’t then I guess it’ll need another re-dished wheel.
    Think it’s a thru axle setup, as well, just to create more compatibility issues.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Garry_Lager

Subscriber
    Did Alyn waters in the N Wales league yesterday

Rather glad I didn’t bother with that now, looks beyond shit!

We’re all off up to Cumbria for the next round of the NWCCA at Glaxo Sports Club this weekend, hopefully No.1 son can bag another win and move closer to wrapping the league up and No.2 can carry on nipping at the heels of top 10 for a good overall finish at the end of the season.

Me, I might even make the top 30 in V40 if it all goes well, but you never know.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

My Swansea race was a nightmare day. Rear Latex tube burst unloading the bike from the car. Rear tub rolled in practice. Cleat came undone mid race. Dnf. Not been a good season for me.
    Adding insult to injury the newly fitted Enduro bottom bracket bearings were fubar by the end of the day. That’s a new record for me.

Garry_Lager

Damn shedbrewed, that is a litany of mechanical woe. How did you do the tub, just riding along or did you hit something?
    I am on my third drive side bearing on a bb30 over 8 races, which is pretty poor. Tried explaining what a bearing is to the pit child but not sure it sunk in.

Late fitness test for me for Ulverston – had a cold all week from swamp racing last weekend. Feel ok but it’s usually best to put a cold to bed mid season, so might give it a miss.

ferrals
    Free Member

It did sound like you had a race to forget @shedbrewed – still get the mechanicals out of the way in one race! Hopefully that will be it for the season. I’m ignoring the sound and feel of my headset and BB for the moment; can’t afford the money or time to get someone to sort them out and I don’t have the confidence to do press-fit myself.

With the welsh league cancellation this weekend, I was originally planning to race the western league race on sunday but decided early this week I couldnt face a 4hr round trip.

Got the rider list sent through for the Pembrey NT, I am disconcerted by how small the senior field is! 24 senior and 17 u23. With the various welsh league cancellations this season, I was expecting a bunch of welsh league no-hopers to enter for a laugh so that there would be a chain of slower riders to hide my lack of ability. No such luck!

mick_r

Time to dust off / unseize bikes for Ulverston – shouldn’t be any swamps on the slag heaps. Missed 2 races so will be way down in the league. Felt slow and stodgy riding to work yesterday. Pre-race prep is Wigan this afternoon for a colleague’s retirement do…..

twinklydave

New Ulverston course looks interesting – at least the long suffering pit crews will get a chance to see the view across the bay this time (I think…)

ulverston course

Ground should be (fairly) dry, but I bet they’ll find some slop for us to play in 🙂

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@Garry_Lager I think the tub was suffering from a couple of very wet races previously and after I dropped a fair bit of pressure from it to try and find grip on the mud it was end of days. The cleat though, that pissed me off.

@ferrals
    yup, learn from it and move on. Vet 40 field is a fair size and the course is a nip shy of 2 miles per lap so I should get two in before being 80% 😄

BenjiM

Weather forecast isn’t great for Sunday. Looking forward too it, but I’ve dinged a rim somewhere and cant get the bloody tyre to seal so will have to run with a tube argh!

ferrals
    Free Member

@shedbrewed – Yeah the v40 field looks large and with a lot welsh guys in.

The course is going to be pretty savage – I’ve ridden bits of what I think the course is (and havent been far wrong based on the map sent earlier) and there is a few run-ups per lap- one long trudge up sand and one so steep you are practically holding onto the grass with your spare hand . There’s a descent off the same bank which I think i might end up running down if it’s where i think it is, very steep, bumpy and with minimal rollout.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Got the rider list sent through for the Pembrey NT, I am disconcerted by how small the senior field is! 24 senior and 17 u23.

Wait until all the Belgians and Dutch enter after the British rider BC deadline.

Missed 2 races so will be way down in the league

Don’t worry about it, I’m well down as my Marshalling points still haven’t been added from the first round!! They called up everyone who’d ever entered a race at Stadt Moers and the grid was about 15 riders wide.

New Ulverston course looks interesting – at least the long suffering pit crews will get a chance to see the view across the bay this time (I think…)

Am I looking at that right, the pits are on top of one of the hills?

twinklydave

Am I looking at that right, the pits are on top of one of the hills?

Yep, somewhere up there on the ridgeline I think: https://www.instagram.com/p/B4uFQZLFxSR/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

TiRed

Our club are hosting Hillingdon tomorrow. It’s muddy. So a minutes silence for those rear mechs that won’t make it. We’ve previously seen failures on the warm up lap.

I’ll be racing V50 on shiny (titanium with red Ritchey forks). My one cross race of the year. Then helping out Behind the scenes. Say hi if you are coming.

Bike is ready anyway. Rider less so. Had one off-road ride all year. That was Swinley on the cross bike. So I’m fully prepared and my three hours on a fixed wheel TT track bike this morning have just served to hone that readiness!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Well Ulverston was certainly fun, the course for both the adults and the kids was ace. Possibly the most technical U8 course we’ve had with steep climbs, off-camber root filled muddy corners and a fast tarmac section. The grown ups version was just as good and it wasn’t even too wet, which is nice.

No.1 & No.2 son were in the U8 again and despite the mess up, where they decided to stop them in their tracks as they crossed the finish line on the first lap – as they hadn’t realised they’d started yet! So off they went again and No.1 got a good lead straight away up the hill towards the pits then along the fence-line and held it all the way to the end, eeking out a few more seconds per lap to take his 6th win of the season. No.2 had a tough time with the big hills, but again he was far quicker running with his bike up them than trying to ride, so he did well in the end.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5ABE7aF3PS/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Me, I had my best race of the year, it just felt good from the off despite a not too good start and nearly ending up in the fence as the gap I was going for got closed a couple of times. Managed to bag 25th overall in V40, which is a best for me.

Now for a long break from the NWCCA as the next race isn’t until the 29th December, but there’s a round of the North Welsh league in a couple of weeks that I may have a go at and the NoE Champs on the 8th December, just going for the craic if I’m honest.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Did western league yesterday. It’s considerably more ‘grass roots’ than Wessex, in well, every way 🙂

Really didn’t enjoy it either. Not gridded as usual so started at the back, gave it the beans off the start and was hovering around the top 10 as it went into the first corners which was good, but the course had cut up badly and apparently clearance on a Boone is not great. Had to stop and clear out the rear wheel it was that bad, then the front started to clog too!

That, a drivetrain that was so thick with mud it wouldn’t shift & being taken out by a couple of kamikaze riders, I decided to sack it off about 40 mins in. Which is usually when we’re done in Wessex anyway. They lumped us in with seniors so the race ended up being nearly an hour & 10 mins…

mick_r

I guess Ulverston counts as a dry race by NW standards. Proper switch around of everyone’s usual positions in the mid-pack dads race :-). Revised course layout worked well.

First time I’ve been lapped but it was Rob Jeb and right at the end so avoided an extra lap trudge. Saw TD getting a knee down 2 wheel drifting a bend – that doesn’t happen at my speed….

twinklydave

well, Ulverston was as ace as ever. In fact that was the best course there yet! I think the weather helped with some lovely slithery mud making even more out of the course features 🙂
    Quite a few punctures going on throughout the day, glad I left the tubs pumped up, even it did result on a lot of sideways action!

The Trophy course at Pembrey, if the pictures Matt’s been posting on Facebook are anything to go by, is gong to be brutal!

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 419 total)

The topic ‘Cross 19/20’ is closed to new replies.