Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 419 total)
  • Cross 19/20
  • jonba
    Free Member

CXNE was an absolute mud bath. Was late to the start so ended up on the back row, not the front. Still managed to claw my way back up to fifth. Struggling on one bike though. Ended up in the big ring to avoid chainsuck issues but then was over geared. Had to resort to a pit stop and just stand there while someone helpfully jet washed my bike with me holding it.

I think we’ve settled in for a muddy season so I’m going to have to look at options. I’m thinking of removing my pompetamine from sale and pressing it into CX service.

13thfloormonk

Monk, was that you filming in the dunes with your phone? Heard my name a few laps, but didn’t recognise anyone.

Yep, made the drive up to watch, glad I did, awesome course! Very jealous of the riders.

Not filming, just photos, will look through later and see if I got any decent ones

qwerty
    Free Member

I did the Western Leagues, Stroud round yesterday, they were most generous and gave us an extra 20mins of racing for free (glad I found out on the start line!). Did my usual thing if starting at the back, no idea where I came as the results aren’t up yet, but had a superb battle with one other rider for most of it, until I slid off course in the woods with 2 laps to go & then he and a couple of others made a gap I couldn’t close. I was second to last to come in, but not sure about how many laps others did, I got lapped a few times by the fast guys. 60mins was ok, I had a good hour if racing. Claggy grassy mud.

jonba
    Free Member

I’d be interested to know peoples tips for racing one bike in the mud. I feel I’ve got a good handle on tyre choice, tyre pressure, power, line and general skills. Without a pit crew and spare bike I’m always let down by mechanical issues when everything get’s choked up.

I try to get the drive chain spotless and very well lubed. Polish on the frame where mud accumulates. GT85 on on mechs, jockey wheels and pedals to help as well.

Any other tips?

13thfloormonk

Ride a modified MTB? Stick some 35c tyres on a 29er and you have mud clearance for miles!

Slightly worried about upgrading to a proper CX bike, clogging that big an issue?

Had read something about trying to always shoulder the bike when running, rather than pushing and picking up more mud!

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve got a few ideas to practice. There are two leagues up here, this season I’m doing both and the TLI one I’m treating as B races – the BC one I’m more serious about. So I’ll have a practice. Going to try the SS pompetamine but I might also try a mtb at some point. 1/2 a lap on a sub optimal bike will be enough to let someone hand me my cx bike back clean. I think I can persuade someone to do that for me in return for a day marshalling their race.

There was one guy ahead of me running the deeper stickier mud. About the same speed but I think it was to preserve his bike as he is a good enough rider to have ridden through it.

Also on longer runs you can clear the worst of your mud with your hands.

I’d certainly run 1x on my next bike. I saw a few of them drop chains but overall I think it is better. Less clogging. Also you can run a tighter chain as there isn’t the jump at the front. Slack chain = chainsuck – I got into the big ring to stop it.

Yesterday was particularly bad for mud though. The only bit of the course that wan’t a couple of inches deep or more was the tarmac section near the finish line.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Did Wessex yesterday, given the amount of rain it was surprisingly dry. Lots of greasy corners, fun little wood section & a couple of soft grassy uphill slogs, but I enjoyed it, in a type 2 kind of way.

Just outside the top half, which for my second race I was pleased with, given the standard & pace of the league. I think if I wasn’t on the back row I could crack the top 50% a lot more easily. Tactical queuing required for the start next time 🙂

eddie11
    Free Member

Jonba not a lot more you can do. Don’t warm up on course and start with spotlessesly clean seat Stays and chain stays. In race look for puddles, if there’s running try to clean the bike whilst it’s on your shoulder, run more than you might normally, don’t change gear as much and try to put the power down slowly out of corners to be ready for chain suck. But if it’s sticky clay mud and/or a flat course you’re knackered really.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’d be interested to know peoples tips for racing one bike in the mud…….
    I try to get the drive chain spotless and very well lubed. Polish on the frame where mud accumulates. GT85 on on mechs, jockey wheels and pedals to help as well.
    Any other tips?

I use a wax based lube, Squirt to be exact, it doesn’t leave residue on the drivetrain that attracts mud & grass so less stuff sticks to it. My frame and wheels are also waxed with a top end Silicon based automotive detailing product by a company called Naked Bikes, it’s called Pro Wax, this helps a bit as wet stuff doesn’t really stick, claggy stuff sticks to anything mind. Also a 2 second manual (fingers) clearing BB area when running can save more time in the long run.

steve_b77
    Free Member

NWCCA Rnd 5 at Heaton Park as ace, it was surprisingly dry and fast, bar a couple of places that were either wetter than an otters pocket or slippier than an eel, so it was flat out racing from the off. I went ok in V40 one minor tumble on lap 1 on one of the more slick off-camber sections, but consistent laps saw me come in 41st from 78 starters, which ain’t bad really.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B32n-kalFxu/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Son No. and No.2 were in the U8 again with No.1 back in the game after last weeks course of dread (in his head) and put in a proper strong effort to take the win again by nearly 22 seconds over his nearest rival, so that’s 4 out of 5 wins so far this year and No.2 with some quality off the bike running that could put a lot of adults to shame, coming in 14th from 29 boys, which considering he’s only 5 ain’t bad at all.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B32kfcTF4yb/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

As a bit of a bonus and to round the day off nicely I also picked up a 2nd / pit bike that was for sale there 🙂

ferrals
    Free Member

Tactical running is key, also if there are edges of the course that are longer grass (but not cut) i ride through it to clean tyres a bit even thouhg it is more effort. Sometimes slwoer less muddy lines are the way to go in the long run.

Pleased with yesterday as results show I didnt blow up as badly as I thought – mush have just been mentally struggling! 9th/28 is also my best result so far this season, which from the back row of the grid after quite a hard training week suggests I’m getting a bit fitter… or more likely the off camber scetions suited me.

Garry_Lager

Heaton Park was great – course in great condition considering the deluge of rain we’ve had. Think I might have seen your tumble Steve (muddy section just past the pits?), a decent spill. Rolled in 33rd and felt good, but bike was running like an absolute sack of spanners – couldn’t ride the hill as I didn’t trust my gears.
    Bike shop sold me the wrong size BB30 bearings on Sat and it went downhill from there, stripping bearings out of mountain bikes to try and get some that worked, misaligned drivetrains through swapping wheelsets – your usual Sat night race maintenance.

Break in the NW calendar for the trophy race next week – there’s an excellent event at Minera lead mines in the N Wales series on the Sun, but it’s pre-entry (by tomorrow I think). Might put my feet up and have a week off, though – work out a few niggles in the legs.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Think I might have seen your tumble Steve (muddy section just past the pits?), a decent spill.

Yup that was me, my front wheel just grabbed a tiny rut and I went right over the bars, most bizarre.

There’s a Go-Race at Bebbington Oval for the kids on Saturday so I’m taking them there, and then it’s the Fallen Leaves Rough Ride on Sunday in Stafford, 75k of mixed riding, so will provide a nice bit of base mileage and a change from max HR thrash ‘fests

oliverracing

Felt a bit crap on Saturday so decided not to race on Sunday. Really regret that now as just want to get out and race again (plus felt ok on Sunday but was without the bike and a 3 hour train ride away)! On the plus side I fitted my new (to me) ST-R7020 105 hydraulic levers paired to deore calipers this weekend – wow what a difference, the front needs a bit of a better bleed but bloody hell they are fantastic! Gonna try to get to the west midlands league Worcester race this weekend and may do my own little one person CX race tonight round a local loop I’ve plotted to at least spin the legs out!

tpbiker
    Free Member

Shameless plug..If anyone is after a spare bike for the up coming season I have a caad x frameset in medium for sale!

qwerty
    Free Member

I’d be interested to know peoples tips for racing one bike in the mud.

I go single speed, I think CX is a great event for it.

#imnevergonnapodium

ferrals
    Free Member

Looks like significant portions of England and Wales are covered in rain today so it will be another muddy outing this weekend 🙂

Whos racing? Newport for the Weslh League. I’m pretty excited as the course maps look good – though I’ve been tired with achey legs and struggling to get above threshold all week so thinking I might be about to come down with something.

@shedbrewed
    – still planning on files?!?

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@ferrals yup still planning on intermediate front and file rear.
    I’m chock full of cold this week so it’ll be more of a ride around than a race for me.

ferrals
    Free Member

Brave! I’d switch that rear out for Singleton next weekend! Though it was surprisingly dry when I checked the course over yesterday, and its forecast largely dry after this deluge.

Garry_Lager

I’m going across to Wrexham for the N Wales race – good course at the Lead mines. Actually meant to be dry on Sun, although it’ll have taken on a lot of rain this week I imagine.

Be on my guard for drunken lines – if Wales beat SA in the rugby then half the field will be on the bevvy.

2tyred

National Trophy weekend at Irvine, woop!

Mid-morning race for me tomorrow, then some hanging around til Tyred Jr races mid-afternoon. Was a brilliant event last year, hoping for more of the same this time around.

Good warmup for it last weekend with a Scottish round up at Montrose, with some beach sand chucked in – coming into the season colder than I normally would has taken a bit of adjusting to, but felt the best I have done so far on Sunday, and not far out of the top 10 with a 13th. Heading in the right direction.

scaredypants

Hob Nob

Did Wessex yesterday, given the amount of rain it was surprisingly dry. Lots of greasy corners, fun little wood section & a couple of soft grassy uphill slogs, but I enjoyed it, in a type 2 kind of way.
    Just outside the top half, which for my second race I was pleased with, given the standard & pace of the league. I think if I wasn’t on the back row I could crack the top 50% a lot more easily. Tactical queuing required for the start next time

What race were you? – I was in V50 and we may have been side by side in that shitshow of a first half mile (nobody’s fault but walking those wide-open corners was a disappointment)

zissou
    Free Member

What are the cross shoes of choice these days? And by choice, I mean cheap 😅 I need a second pair as the current ones are just constantly wet!

qwerty
    Free Member

With all this rain i’m gonna have some fun in the mud at the Western Leagues, Shamcross @ Keynesham tomorrow, propper cross needs mud & there should be plenty!

Managed mid pack in Vet 40 last week, which i’m pretty happy with.

qwerty
    Free Member

PS: Clement PDX here, it’s either those or Nanos…..

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

What race were you? – I was in V50 and we may have been side by side in that shitshow of a first half mile (nobody’s fault but walking those wide-open corners was a disappointment)

I’m in the V40’s. but it was still a mess, I got stuck on the inside which was annoying.

Raced again this weekend, Wessex again at Southampton which was my local one. With the weather and some awkward banks I figured it would be a good one for me (relatively of course).

Back row again, as I was late to the start, but gave it the beans right round the outside & overtook loads in the bunch up. Had a fun 3 laps holding place, then flatted. No spare wheels or bike, so pulled out at the end of the 4th lap. Annoyingly, it turns out I was having a great race. The guy I was battling with ended up in 24th. Well into the top 50%. Oh well, always next time, just have to hope it keeps raining to appease my riding skills rather than my lack of CX fitness 😆

qwerty
    Free Member

I raced Shamcross at Keynesham, definitely not the mud fest I was hoping for. I absolutely love what they’ve done with their course, a real pleasure to race, great features and so many turns. I had a blast. Once again the Western League gifted us an additional 20 mins of fun!

ferrals
    Free Member

Proper mud fest in Tredegar for the Welsh league. Hub deep slop in places. Proper tractor-pulling conditions. I really liked the course and those sort of conditions normally suit me, but for whatever reason I just wasnt in synch. In warm up I couldn’t get my HR abouve threhold and race HR was only just above threshold too. Couldnt decide on lines, fell off twice, generally felt like a complete rookie. Result-wise was the same as normal but I would have hoped for a good result in those conditions.

Massive thanks to one of our club members who pitted for me without a jetwash and just used hands and a screwdriver to poke mud away from the drive train to keep things turning allowing me to have at least half clean bike changes.

On to our club race in Swansea next weekend so no racing for me, looking forward to seeing how the new iteration races (which is more or less the same as last year)

Garry_Lager

Had a good race at Minera in the N Wales league – great event. Hard circuit, twisty through the trees with a bit of elevation so must have had 4 or 5 runs ups per lap, which featured deep mud and stony quarry. Got lapped by the leaders right at the end and I wasn’t complaining, hamstrings were singing.

Fitted a complete new drivetrain on the Sat, as is my habit, with one of those ultegra clutch mechs – so there was potential for disaster bedding it in on a one bike muddy race. But it rode great, no problems at all.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Well I went with the mud tubs for the Tredegar race, same as @ferrals Wasn’t expecting much other than to just ride around as still coughing up big green cornflakes. Very sloppy course, and the first time I’ve felt cold this season. Using one bike meant I stopped 4-5 times to unclog and just managed to save the derailleur when that horrid crunchy sounds came on the last lap. Sadly lost a few places then as I valued my derailleur and hanger more than a result. Smaller chainring may have meant I could leave it in one gear but not sure if it would’ve made any difference in terms of cloggage.
    First race using egg beater pedals and cleats and they seemed to work well.
    Next up is the Singleton round so expecting a tough course again.
    If there are any uphill hurdles again I’m going to kick @ferrals in the shins. 😄

john_l
    Free Member

Preston Park in the London League yesterday, another great course with very close racing – you really had to fight for every inch!

Ended up with another mid pack finish after the usual battles. Switchwd from muds to intermediates just before the start. Was spot on.

ferrals
    Free Member

@shedbrewed – no uphill hurdles. It’s largely similar to last year, probably a bit less tough. One slightly longer descent rather than the hairpins on the far side and only one up and down on that little bit of banking.

steve_b77
    Free Member

It’s back to Stadt Moers Park in Rainhill / Whiston this weekend for the NWCCA, hopefully all the dog poo will remain frozen and the balshy dog walkers don’t decide the start finish straight is a perfect place to take their beloved for a walk.

No doubt that dam slippy and steep hill will be in and the wheel swallowing bog where you turn onto the tarmac bit – briefly, yey. First race for me with a spare bike, which given the amount of leaves that have come down over the past week could well be awesome.

twinklydave

Ahh Stadt Moers. After a great weekend at Irvine, racing a flat out course with beautiful coastal views right across to Arran, we’re back to earth somewhat with a muddy circuit of an ex tip at the side of the M57 😂

Racing is always nice and close there, though. Plus there’s usually that big puddle by the pits, that’s good for cleaning the worst of the dog eggs off your bike post race…

mick_r

I believe the NC Clarion guys went round with a shovel last time and collected multiple full buckets of dog turds from the cherished country park that we “destroy”.

Garry_Lager

Recall chatting with someone at a race saying that the course would be a different part of the Stadt Moers park this year due to some past conflicts with the Scouse dog walkers – don’t know if it was informed or speculation.

Really like the SM course as it goes (apart from a bit of an iffy starting straight last time out), just seems a nice balance of stuff on good mixed terrain. And managed to avoid the poo thus far.

twinklydave

Recall chatting with someone at a race saying that the course would be a different part of the Stadt Moers park this year due to some past conflicts with the Scouse dog walkers – don’t know if it was informed or speculation.

Apparently not just speculation!
    Sounds exciting and it’s always good to race new venues and courses 🙂

mick_r

Interesting. I really wasn’t feeling like racing but now slightly more motivated.

oliverracing

Awesome race yesterday at the Wessex league – really fun course with lots of barely rideable sections that throughout the seniors race dried out to the point where most was just about rideable and felt really rewarding when managed. Did really well for me (38/52 finishers/60ish starters) and the bike only took an hour to clean this morning!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Well Stadt Moers was indeed a new course…….. with rather a lot of off the bike action due to the incredibly claggy mud. Even the U8 race course was shortened due to the very soft ground and them not wanting to be picking munchkins out of the inevitable quagmire!!

First up son No.1 & No.2 in the U8 on the afore mentioned shortened course, I think it was about 250m in length with a mixture of long grass, mud and two tarmac crossings. No.1 made his mind up it was going to be an absolute smash ‘fest from the start and actually got a good start for a change, leading from the off, lapping everyone up to 4th place and taking his 5th win from 6 races after 12 laps!! No.2 did pretty well too considering he had to pedal for the entire lap and ended up 12th boy.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4acRrOFeUw/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Then it was my turn in the V40 running race, I was massively grateful for having a pit crew made up of one of my team mates and a selection of U8 racers (she was like the pied piper of pit crews) and ended up swapping bikes on half laps, somehow, considering the huge amount of running / plodding / hoping not to die I dragged my mud strewn carcass round to 31st place and my best result of the season.

Here’s to hoping that Ulverston in a couple of weeks is a bit less bog like!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4a03I_lAiW/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 419 total)

The topic ‘Cross 19/20’ is closed to new replies.