Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • croix de fer as a commuter? pics also very welcome.
  • duckman

Pics and opinions please folks,part of my commute could be the new towpath by the sea instead of along side a dealer. Has anybody also used them on slightly rougher stuff eg Mandy/single track? Ta; Stuart 🙂

Kahurangi

I used one for 2 years through the wilds of Northumberland. It was heavy, and that was when they were made of Reynolds 725 rather than 520. Don’t know if the newer ones are weaker or heavier.

It’s was pretty good then – had enough clearance for proper mudguards and 30mm tyres. Road discs were a revelation but after 2 years I ditched the derailleur and went Alfine.

towpath by the sea

If it’s going to be salty then you might want to reconsider the derailleurs too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Cant resist 🙂

Wats the horse towing along the sea front 😉

Why would you go croix de fer instead of the day one alfine ?

Bregante

I had one for two years (the 725 one), really lovely comfy ride. Most of the excess weight is in the wheels. I’d have another – I only sold it because my commute dropped to just 5 miles and it was overkill and just wasn’t getting used sufficiently to justify keeping it.

duckman

Wats the horse towing along the sea front

Judging by this mornings headwind…I wish it had been me.
    Even more weight,and rack fitting when I am doing Duke of Edinburgh put me off the alfine

trail_rat
    Free Member

weight – ok you got me

rack fitting isnt an issue – Mrs T-R has one for commuting with a rack on.

zilog6128

Used daily for 16 mile round trip (half on road, half off) plus weekend road rides. Very happy with it. When I bought it I had the idea of using it for touring as well… that hasn’t happened (yet!) If I were to buy a bike again purely for the commute I’d probably get a steel singlespeed of some kind.

croix de fer by Zilog_6128, on Flickr

Raouligan
    Free Member

Love mine 9miles each way it’s dead comfortable…

You can squeeze Schwalbe Kojak’s under guards as well which are super cush and really quite nippy.

Wheels are heavy but Kojak’s have helped with that and a heavy commute/winter bike means that the road bike feels like a proper summer sunday treat.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

How tall are you guys and what size you go for? I won’t be able to get a sit on but following many size guides I should be looking at a 56 (5″10 with 32 inseam)…. I have read some reviews saying to go for the 54 as the frames are on the large side…

Ta 🙂

Bregante

6’1″ here and a 58 was perfect.

Raouligan
    Free Member

6′ here and on a 56 with a lot of post expose, will do a picture in the morning.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

SDC11633 by jcabuckley1974, on Flickr

lovely bike….really miss it. Mine was pretty much stock apart from 25mm tyres and a 11-21 rear block, great at everything i tried on it!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Wishing I could unsee those pictures, the Croix de Fer looks lovely…

aazlad
    Free Member

I recently tested a few including croix, day one and the cotic x. The cotic suited me best purely down to comfort. I’ve been commuting 50km per day on it for 4 weeks and I love it.

My commute is 2/3 off road with cheeky bits of singletrack and I’m amazed what you can do on the bike. I did buckle the rear wheel in the first week though!

rOcKeTdOg

not got a CDF but cotic x might be an alternative, i commute on mine as well as use it for long distance touring, v comfy for last years century ride

zilog6128

How tall are you guys and what size you go for? I won’t be able to get a sit on but following many size guides I should be looking at a 56 (5″10 with 32 inseam)…. I have read some reviews saying to go for the 54 as the frames are on the large side…

I am 5’9″/31 and the 54 is right for me.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘croix de fer as a commuter? pics also very welcome.’ is closed to new replies.