• This topic has 97 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by lotto.
Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • Croix de Fer 2014 ?
  • sparkingchains
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go under a 100 mm stem on a CX/Road bike. Low speed you won’t notice too much of an issue but riding fast downhill you want the stability of a longer stem hence why most pro road riders use 120 – 140s, that and the aero position.

There’s no threads on the cable guides for barrel adustment on my 2013 frame. Dunno if the 2014 is different . I put in some Jagwire in-line barrel adjusters.

iainc

No threads on 2014 either.

iainc

I was wanting a 110 stem. The 2013 had a 100 whereas the 2014 has a 110 as standard (54 frame). They know what they are doing..

sparkingchains
    Free Member

10mm I doubt you’ll notice much handling difference, just comfort.

iainc

No, it now comes with 110, which is what I wanted anyway 🙂

Mike59

I fell between two sizes, and I chose the larger of the two (58cm). The stem on this was 120mm which was too long, so I changed it to a 100mm which is perfect!

Regarding the SKS P45s, I think you will struggle to get enough clearance over the stock tyres. 32c tyres seem fine. Tips-wise, all I would say is that you need a spacer to clear the front calliper. I ended up buying a cheap multi-pack of M4 and M5 Allen bolts and plastic spacers from Ebay – all sorts of lengths and really useful if the ones supplied with the guards don’t quite fit the frame. In particular, getting the right bolt/spacer combination at the fixing at the chain stay bridge. The pack came with all sorts of nuts and washers too.

Bolt croppers very useful to save having to trim the ends of the stays with a hacksaw.

Will try to post a pic of the front spacer arrangement if anyone’s interested.

Cheers
    Mike.

iainc

First decent ride on this today. 20 plus miles with some tarmac, a lot of fire road and a few miles of quite challenging singletrack with some fierce ups and downs.

The good :

Bike is very planted and comfy. Climbs as well as my Jake the snake, but limited on slippy steep ups by the stock tyres (see my other thread). Brakes are excellent, rest of components seem sorted and good.

The bad :

The stock tyres are great on fire road and roll well. Quickly lose grip on slippy rocky climbs. The new brake position means that I knocked the adjuster know a few times with inside of my heel. This was in normal spesh shoes/Time ROC as per previous CX and MTB. Suspect poss worse with winter boots or shoe covers.

unciclista
    Free Member

Old thread, I know, but I think I can find an answer here.

I need to know the size of an uncut steerer tube of a 2014 Croix de Fer frameset’s fork, and if it comes with a star nut fitted.

Many thanks!

iainc

Can’t help with that but would expect a Genesis dealer would have answer.

Still loving the bike although the 2015 one looks great and nice tweaks to the spec.

Jamie
    Free Member

I need to know the size of an uncut steerer tube of a 2014 Croix de Fer frameset’s fork, and if it comes with a star nut fitted.

Can’t remember and no.

MarkSS
    Free Member

On my ’13 frameset no star nut fitted & uncut steerer circa 275mm

unciclista
    Free Member

Thank you very much for your quick replies!

It’s what I thought. The fork I’ve got have a star nut fitted and the steer is only 225cm long. That (plus other evidences) confirms that I have been scammed, so I shall proceed with the return. What a PITA…

iainc

I have been scammed, so I shall proceed with the return. What a PITA…

sounds interesting ! tell us more ?

Jamie
    Free Member

Is this from a shop, or from a classifieds ad?

…and is it a 60cm?

unciclista
    Free Member

Is a 54cm one and from a shop (bought online).

I rather wait to the result of the return and refund process (or a partial refund and keep it as an used frame). If this goes fine I still give credit to the shop as a semi-trustable one. If not, I will give the name as a warning for future shoppers.

Andy

or from a classifieds ad?

…and is it a 60cm?

Is a 54cm one and from a shop (bought online).

Phew. I mean if I was selling one I’d have no idea if I had chopped the steerer and knocked a star nut in 😉 Seriously Unciclista might be was returned to the shop like that and they were unaware. Think your approach is the right one…

iainc

Mine is a factory build 54 and I haven’t adjusted fork length so have 25mm of spacers on it. Steerer is 225mm….

lotto
    Free Member

I have the chance of a well priced used 931 from a friend. It’s not been ridden much so he can’t really tell me what it’s like. I’d probably just use it over the winter for 80+ mile rides. Is it suited/comfortable for this mileage or is it just a daily commute bike? That’s what it is currently being used for.

Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Croix de Fer 2014 ?’ is closed to new replies.