• This topic has 97 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by lotto.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)
  • Croix de Fer 2014 ?
  • mugsys_m8

Planet X Uncle John has a nice long headtube, more so than any other cross frame I could find. Fits me better than my pre-disc mount(Mk2?) Kaffenback. Doubles up as a winter trainer and cyclo cross and would do light touring well. For me, not only does it fit better than my Kaffenback, it does more jobs and does them better, Café (and back) winter training posing rides aside (but we don’t do these in France anyway) Fitted with cantis because it was cheaper and it’s what I had lying around, and decided to stick with them to offer me more flexibility for swapping around road wheels etc.

*still in Az Iain!*

kcr
    Free Member

I don’t like the new mounting position for the rear disc. The cable exit point is aligned to catch water and crap coming off the disc/wheel, and the cable run creates a low point where any water will collect.
    Exit seals will never be perfect, so this design doesn’t seem very robust for regular riding in all weathers.
    Croix is heavy, but it’s a touring /commuting road bike, not a road racing bike.

iainc

Mike – interesting feedback, thanks. Just in from poss last road ride of the season on the carbon bike 🙂

I had a look at a 14 Croix De Fer in lbs other day and was impressed, just need to see an Arkose when they land next month now…

mm – you still having fun out there ? 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I built up a Croix de Fer from a 54 frameset a while ago.

It weighs 22.5lbs with

– 105 Groupset
    – Stans Iron Cross/Supercomp spokes/Hope 2 Evo hubs/Maxxis Raze tyres
    – Use titanium seatpost and an old Flite Gel saddle (not particularly light)
    – Look 4×4 pedals
    – Genesis 100mm stem and Salsa Cowbell 2 bars
    – BB7 brakes
    – some gel under the bar tape (adds some weight)

I really like it and the saddle/seatpost combo is quite comfortable for offroad. The slightly flared bars are nice as well.

I like the steel and the alloy cross type bikes I have ridden have felt harsher.

I also have an Equilibrium (56) with 105 groupset, mavic ksyrium equipe wheels and 25mm GP4000 tyres, Deda Zero100 alloy bars and stem and Deda Zero100 carbon seatpost and titanium Charge Spoon saddle.

The Equilibrium weighs 20.5 lbs, so not a lot lighter.

If I had built the CDF first I wouldn’t have the Equilibrium.

They are different bikes though – the Equilibrium, at 56, is more of a stable mile muncher for training, the Croix at 54 is a fun offroad blast but I have done rides of about 3 hours on it as well.

Alb
    Free Member

High Guys, some Genesis 2014 weights for you…

Croix de Fer 931 (56cm) – 23.14 lbs / 10.84 kg
    Croix de Fer (56cm) – 24.10 lbs / 11.18 kg
    CdF (56cm) – 25.02 lbs / 11.40 kg
    Vapour Disc (56cm) – 22.08 lbs / 10.01 kg

Croix de Fer Frameset – 5.01 lbs / 2.30 kg (56cm) \ Fork – 2.01 lbs / 0.94 kg (Uncut)

Still waiting on the Croix 931 frameset weight.

Hope this helps

iainc

Alb, many thanks

iainc

Alb – do you know if the 2014 Geometry is unchanged from 2013, as in the charts posted earlier on in the thread ?

Cheers

Mike59

Iain, sorry to butt in, but I understand the 2014 frame geometry is unchanged from that of 2013. Picked mine up last night – it’s really stunning. Off on a ride this afternoon, and will post back a report!

Cheers
    Mike.

iainc

Mike – glad you did butt in :). what size did you get ? also looking forward to hearing how the ride goes, thanks

Mike59

Iain, I got a 58cm and it fits me perfectly. I changed the stem to a shorter one, but that’s the only modification apart from putting 32c Marathons on instead of the supplied tyres (I wanted mudguards, and the 35c CX tyres were slightly too big).

I’ve done about 100 miles on it this week, and it is such a lovely bike to ride. Yes, it’s heavier than my carbon road bike, but you get used to it. The extra gear at the back (12-30 compared to the 11-28 on the carbon) almost compensates for the additional weight, and means I can get up all the same hills 🙂

Coming from Ultegra on the carbon, I thought the Tiagra groupset would be very clunky, but it’s not at all. After a bit of fettling, it’s fine. I was thinking about changing to 105 at some point, but I don’t think I’ll bother now. Yes, there’s a difference in the shifting, but again, very quick to get used to.

It feels very safe on the crappy Surrey roads, and I have taken a couple of detours down farm tracks and bridleways which it copes well with.

It’s exactly what I wanted from a winter bike. So versatile. No regrets at all.

Mike59

PS. Geometry and weights now up on the Genesis website.

mattsccm
    Free Member

How about a Charge? The new Plugs look nice, in fact the top one is now the most likely one for me apart from the nasty colour.
    I have been looking for something similar. I have a Cotic X with the carbon fork. got it early ’11 and done over 10K on it. Not a bad ride but like many modern steel frames its made of gas pipe. Fairly heavy.
    As I am spoilt by discs on the road, I am after another similar bike but rather lighter.
    Nice to see those weights. How about a Raleigh, something from Zephnat or a BMC?

iainc

Mike – great feedback, thanks, how is the fork clearance for offroad ?

Good about groupset, as I also have ultegra on carbon road bike !

Matt – I think my mind is just about made up now 🙂

mccett
    Free Member

iainc – if you manage to get a Croix de fer please update this thread. Mine has been on order now for 3 weeks and no sign of it appearing any time soon.

Mike59 – did you order yours ages ago? Or did you see it in a shop that had pre-ordered and got one in stock already?
    Info appreciated.

Jamie
    Free Member

iainc – if you manage to get a Croix de fer please update this thread. Mine has been on order now for 3 weeks and no sign of it appearing any time soon.

Apparently 54cm+ sizes have taken longer than thought to get here. 50/52cm are in stock at the mo in most places.

iainc

mccett – my LBS told me a week ago that they are scarce and that their stock order was due in 4-6 weeks. Main dealer so probs top of the list too…

Edit – I am after a 54. Shop has 52 in stock

simondbarnes

Edit – I am after a 54. Shop has 52 in stock

We have a 54 in stock if you’re near Manchester…
    http://www.bikeshak.com/bikes/cyclocross/2014-genesis-croix-de-fer-54cm/

iainc

Simon, thanks for info, but sticking loyal to local place in Glasgow 🙂

simondbarnes

No worries 🙂

Mike59

I just kept looking on the Evans website (no other local Genesis dealers), and the stock lists seem to change daily. After a few days, a 58 showed up as being in stock, so I popped down and ordered it on the Friday. I collected it on my way home from work on Monday evening 🙂

Iain, fork clearance is OK for offroad, but I would suggest you forego mudguards and perhaps go down to a 32c tyre? The supplied 35c is fine for clearance without guards, but is semi-slick. Kenda do a 32c Small Block 8 which is very light and looks ideal if you mainly do off road. I may even try that under my guards,.

iainc

Mike, thanks for info. I have new 32c small block 8’s on my Jake at present so will hang onto them and pop speed kings on for selling it 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Pay Evans 50 quid to get one in for a demo?

iainc

Pay Evans 50 quid to get one in for a demo?

Good idea, but I had a good look over a 52 in the shop and I have been through the geometry of the 54 against my road bike and outgoing CX one so know it will fit.

edit – or you mean to get one sooner 🙂 even better idea !! But no, LBS are sorting for me, cheers

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Yes, to get one sooner…

Andy

I have a 60cm 2014 frame, with the chainstay disc mount. Bought in August. Build will be Kinesis DC37 Forks / 105 group from Merlin / Hope hoops when built. Sadly its still hanging in the garage as stuff has meant not go round to completing the build. Will post up pics when I do.

iainc

anyone got any pics of theirs in action yet ?

Mike59

First ride (with original tyres and before mudguards fitted)

Old Winchester Hill with guards and Marathon tyres

Jamie
    Free Member

Mike, how is the gear cable adjustment done on the bike? Inline adjusters, or mounted on the downtube stops?

Mike59

Jamie, there are barrel adjusters – one on each side of the downtube for the front and rear mechs, and an additional one on the rear mech itself.

Jamie
    Free Member

Cheers for that, Mike. Do they screw into the stops, as in the housing stops are threaded, or just inserted loose?

Mike59

Doesn’t look as though the housing stops are threaded, Jamie. I’ll get a close up pic at some point if that’s any help?

Jamie
    Free Member

No rush, but curious whether they have provision to screw in barrel adjusters, or any old inline adjuster would do.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

don’t think the stops on my 2012 are threaded – got inline barrel adjusters but never fitted them.

iainc

pics look great Mike.

iainc

Excited 🙂 its arriving next week !

iainc

yay, it’s here. only ridden up and down street so far 🙂

Mike59

Nice one, Iain. I changed a few things on mine – shorter stem, 32c Marathon tyres, and a black 105 crankset from Ebay as I didn’t like the look of the big, silver Tiagra one 😳

Oh, and SKS guards (these were time-consuming to fit, and if you intend to do the same I can give you a few tips to save time!)

Done about 380 miles on it so far. Perfect for these weather/road conditions.

iainc

Cheers Mike. I’m going to keep it fairly stock I think. The geometry with the 110stem matches my old CX bike and my road bike. Might drop it a bit though. Will try the stock tyres but have 32c small block 8’s to go on when rqd.

I have a set of SKS P45’s and a rack to go on when its in touring mode with road tyres (conti 32’s). Tips on the guards would be good, cheers 🙂

mccett
    Free Member

Nice Iain, I just picked mine up on Thursday, first proper ride will be tomorrow but I’ve already ditched the brown bar tape for black and got a sdg demo saddle on as I didn’t get on with the original just sat in the shop! 8 years of sdg saddles have moulded me into a different shape I think.

I want to fit the sks 45s, I half fitted one and it seems to clear the stock tyres but not sure how much crud clearance it will have when I take a few offroad shortcuts? I like the stock tyres, and am loathe to ditch them just to fit the guards? Any tips appreciated also please Mike59.
    Oh… what length stem did you swap it for? Not had a stem this long since 1991!

iainc

The genesis blog suggested SKS 45’s would go ok with the stock tyres.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Croix de Fer 2014 ?’ is closed to new replies.