• This topic has 97 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by lotto.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • Croix de Fer 2014 ?
  • iainc

anyone got one ? opinions ? Thinking about a Pinnacle Arkose 3, but I do like the Genesis….supposedly it’s shed a fair bit of weight for 2014 ?

yorlin
    Free Member

It’s got lighter wheels anyway… ah, from Evans site

(TL:DR lighter wheels, disc brakes inside the triangle so you can use normal racks. Other things a bit better)

“Genesis Croix de Fer 2014 Cyclocross Bike. The irrepressible Croix de Fer returns for another year. Visually similar to last years’ model but with some choice tweaks to improve versatility, everyday use and overall ride characteristics. For starters, the new inboard disc dropout moves the calliper mounting position to between the stays, meaning no more faff to space out mudguards or a rear rack to clear the calliper. They’ve dropped weight from the Wheelset (via some lighter rims and double-butted spokes), upgraded to better sealed hubs and added Continental’s Cyclocross Speed semi-slick tyres into the mix for better rolling performance on a wide variety of different surfaces. Gearing has been widened via a 12-30T cassette out back to give a really low climbing gear to aid fully-laiden adventures into the unknown.

Everything’s brought to a shuddering halt by Hayes excellent new CX Expert (formerly CX5) mechanical disc brakes – the stiff, one-piece forged aluminium calliper offering brilliant power and modulation. There are integrated barrel adjusters for on-the-fly adjustments and we’ve offset the slight weight increase of the calliper with Hayes L1 lightweight rotor. Oh, and we’ve also added a 50cm frame size, meaning more of you can now enjoy the closest model we have in our range to that fabled ‘one bike’.”
    Evan’s product page for it

zilog6128

The stock wheels were always pretty poor so that is a decent improvement. I have the 2010 version. Seriously tempted to upgrade to the new 931 version though, it looks mint!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    yorlin
    Free Member
    iainc

I read the description stuff too, and it does look good. I wonder hwo much it weighs though now ? and how do the Hayes compare with BB7’s ?

matthew_h
    Free Member

The 2014 wheels are half a pound lighter than the previous wheels (not sure on frame weight as never weighed the previous frameset) and definitely a good step up. The Hayes brakes also seem pretty decent and compare very favourably with the old Avids. They look much better imo. All in all the new model is a very nice improvement over the previous model.

iainc

Matthew – useful info, thanks. I reckon it’s down to this and the pinnacle arkose 3. With some LBS discount prices much the same, Pinnacle 105 and carbon fork, vs Genesis comfy steel and tiagra. I don’t race CX, so its for winter road, light off road and the odd summer touring weekend.

el_boufador

I’m in the same dilemma as you OP. Pinnacle Arkose 3 vs Croix de Fer look the best options out there for around £1k.

I think on the genesis website, in the comments there is a weight quoted around 24lb for the 58cm. Quite heavy, really. But it looks lovely though doesn’t it?

Other potential options I’m looking at are boardman cx and saracen urban hack series, but they aren’t lighting the fire so much as the pinnacle and genesis from idle internet browsing.

iainc

el b – it is an nice dilemma though 🙂 the arkose is 23.6 pounds so sounds like the genesis has certainly been on a diet !

jameso

fwiw Arkose weights on the site are around 1/2lb or more than what we’ve found bikes coming in at – we get a complete bike weight from the factory after assembly including reflectors, bells, whistles etc. 2012 Arkose 2 was 10.35kg in the C+ test.
    Tricky decision tho since I wouldn’t worry about the weight much.

iainc

Jameso – good man, thanks for that. Must say, you have been great with helpful impartial info on this and the other thread, much appreciated indeed.

Cheers

iainc

any daytimers got /seen the new 2014 one ?

matthew_h
    Free Member

I can weigh a 2014 Croix De Fer later if you’d like.

iainc

mattew – that would be ideal – a 54 if possible 🙂

Cheers

n1ppy
    Free Member

I’ve got the 2014 Croix De Fer and love it. I do about 150 miles a week commute on road and canal towpath. It’s my first road/CX bike so I was a bit worried how it was going to be on the unmade paths but it’s so comfortable and surprisingly fun. I obviously can’t compare it with anything else but I’m very happy with it. I also thought about the Orange RX9 but glad I went for the steel frame.

It’s a 54 and weighs about 25lbs with pedals.

iainc

nippy – useful feedback, thanks, esp the weight, as that is the size I’d be after. Cheers

Jamie
    Free Member

In relation to the differences in the 2014 Croix De Fers:

– No price rise vs. 2013 (£1149.99srp)
    – Carry-over colours and graphics
    – New smaller 50cm size added
    – New inboard mounted disc brake dropout (no longer need to space/bodge mudguards and rear rack to fit).
    – Upgraded, lighter wheelset with Alex XD PRO rims (-30g per rim vs. 2012 XD-Lite) & double-butted spokes
    – Upgraded Shimano Deore M525 hubs (vs. 2012 M475) – better sealed for longer life
    – Hayes CX Expert (formerly CX5) cable disc brakes (w/ L1 lightweight rotor) replace Avid BB7
    – Wider ratio 12-30T cassette added
    – Faster rolling, semi-slick, Conti Cyclocross Speed 35c tyres
    – Sealed cartridge bearing M:Part Elite headset
    – Madison Prime road saddle
    – New compact bend handlebar.

Sauce

iainc

Thanks for link Jamie. As you know from other thread its down to the pinnacle arkose 3 or this one. I currently have a Jake the snake and reckon the arkose is probably most similar to what I have. The genesis may be better suited to my needs – light off road, touring, winter trainer…….whilst it is a bit heavier it will likely be more comfortable I think.

Jamie
    Free Member

I think the Croix De Fer, which I would love to abbreviate to CDF if that wasn’t their other model, is more than ‘a bit’ heavier? I could be wrong.

As it goes, I may be in a similar situation to you, hence stalking you on all these threads :wink:, and would say the Arkose appeals more.

iainc

Jamie – I had a look at the Croix De Fer at LBS yesterday – lovely in the flesh, but not a light bike by any means. Am going to try and get a look at the Pinnacle too, but none around till mid Nov.

looking at the weights, and for a 54 frame, I think the difference is about 2 pounds.

So far I can’t decide !

mcboo
    Free Member

I’m usually the first to witter on about how great “my” bike is. I’ve had a Gensis Vapour (the alu version of CDF) for a couple of years….honestly, I wouldnt. Looks nice and all that but its just too heavy….I just dont think you need disc brakes. Upgraded the wheels to Crests on Pro II and that helps a bit but being mostly a roadie these days its no great pleasure throwing my leg over it.

iainc

mcboo – A fair point about the weights and discs for road use. I have a light carbon road bike for the majority of road duties, so this is more for touring/light off road and manky winter on road stuff

ahwiles
    Free Member

it’s important to remember that the Croix de Fer is NOT a road bike.

i have a road bike, i also have a Cdf – i would NOT ride my road bike down a downhill track, i would not try and hoon it over jumps at the bmx track, i would not bounce it down steps, or hamfistedly bunnyhop up kerbs on my commute.

my Cdf has done all these things, and come out the other side with barely a scratch.

if you’re worried that 25lbs (or whatever) might be too heavy, then you’ve completely missed the point.

Daffy

The frame weight (56) for the 2011 CDF (725) is 5lbs with the fork weighing 1.75lbs…so almo

Jamie
    Free Member

The frame weight (56) for the 2011 CDF (725) is 5lbs with the fork weighing 1.75lbs…so almo

Oh no! They got Daffy!

mcboo
    Free Member

Right….thing is I thought I’d be doing all of the above and havent. I commute on mine and its fine for that. But I could really do with commuter I can use as a proper winter road bike, knock out 100k on a Saturday morning with my pals.

I’m not knocking Genesis, I really think they’re a good outfit and make nice looking bikes. Am actually thinking of selling the Vapour and buying an Equlibrium. Anyone know what an Equilibrium 10 weighs?

iainc

mcboo – i do get your point, and probably my current ‘in between bike’, which is a rim braked Jake the Snake and more along the lines of a racier cx bike, fits the bill for what you are after.

But what I am after is something do it all, comfy, good for the stuff ahwiles talks of, plus summer touring weekends, gentle off road stuff with the kids etc. It will need to do winter road rides, albeit usdually sub 50 milers, round my local hilly back roads.

The Jake does all this quite well, but I fancy a change. I’ve got it down to this and the Pinnacle Arkose now, so getting there !

addy6402

I have a 2013 Arkose which is my commuter – used on a mixture of road, cyclepath and towpath etc. It seems to be solid and not too lardy (alu frame/carbon fork). I’ve got it kitted out with full length guards and a rear rack/panniers.

I’m planning to do some touring on it and it will also get used for more sedate winter road rides when I don’t want to take my shiny road bike out.

I do like Genesis bikes though!

iainc

addy – thanks for feedback. No one seems have a negative feedback really on either Genesis or Pinnacle 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

I guess it comes down to 1) Price 2) Components and 3) Weight*

Arkose is cheaper, better components and lighter.

Croix De Fer is built like a tank, in a good way, decent components and looks swish.

*With apologies to ahwiles.

iainc

Jamie – yes, but… The chainset on the Genesis is better than the Arkose, as are stem, post and bars I think, so it’s just the 105 levers and mech…..

ahwiles
    Free Member

no apology needed.

i only butted in as the ‘what does it weigh?’ questions were detracting from the ‘is it any good on singletrack?*’ questions.

(*it’s bloody great)

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie – yes, but… The chainset on the Genesis is better than the Arkose, as are stem, post and bars I think, so it’s just the 105 levers and mech…..

Clear as mud, eh? 8)

Here is a handy comparison chart to stare at…click to make bigger.

Note: Croix De Fer geo is from 2013 model, as 2014 data isn’t on their website. I assume it is the same…but don’t take it as fact.

iainc

The chainset on the Genesis is better than the Arkose, as are stem, post and bars I think, so it’s just the 105 levers and mech…..

I maybe wasn’t quite right first time 🙂

That chart should beome my wallpaper for next few days of deliberation !

eruptron
    Free Member

I’m having similar thoughts but finding it difficult to choose as a first time cyclocrosser or ever roadie type.
    Torn between the Orange RX9 but am put off that it doesn’t have a carbon fork.
    The Genesis Vapour the Giant (but this isn’t avaliable until end January)
    Or the Planet X thing.
    Oooh so difficult to decide.

iainc

erupton – bear in mind that there are 2 quite different types of bikes here. There are the more race oriented cx ones – Giant, Planet X, Vapour and then there are the more tour/do it all ones like the Croix De Fer. In between there are a bundle too; the Orange is a recent addition, and looks quite race oriented to me, although the fork choice, desptite what the recent mag review says, seems odd as you say. The Pinnacle on paper (and in mag reviews of the 13 model) is top spec , probably due to an ‘unbranded inhouse’ frame, which probably came from same factory as the branded ones anyway. The only criticism anywhere of the Pinnacle I can find is that some folk find their left heel kicks the rear brake adjuster and winds the pad in occiasionally.

On RRP, the Pinnacle is a better deal that the Genesis also. But, the Genesis has a certain appeal too !

eruptron
    Free Member

Fair do’s I am very unlikely to race more an alternative to the MTB so I can blast around but still want to do a bit of off road stuff.
    This was why I was swaying toward the Vapour Vapour14
    As sad as this sounds I’m put off that pinnicale purely because of the gash colours on the sticker (sad I know:-) especially as the Vapour is bright blue.

iainc

erupton – when I started my cx threads a few days ago the Vapour was top om my initial list, probably for same type of riding as you. I have now discounted it on basis of the very short headtube. The one that fits me (54) has a 10cm headtube, which is 3.5cm less than my Jake the Snake and Giant Road bike. I don’t want that race position for the type of riding I will be doing. It is a lovely bike though

eruptron
    Free Member

Cheers Iainc difficult thing is the lack of bikes to try especially as I’ve never even sat on one so as a first timer its a bit of a mindboggler 🙂

Mike59

I have just gone through this process, but went for the 2014 Croix de Fer in the end. Went to see one at Evans, and was very impressed with the build quality and feel of the bike.

Just for info, I am 6ft and went for the 58cm.

Not bothered about the weight – it’s no more than my ‘lightweight’ Spesh Epic FSR, and in any case, I have a skinny carbon summer road bike, so this needed to be completely different. I suspect those from a roadie background will find it heavier than those (like me) from an MTB background.

I felt very insecure this week flying down a hill on the carbon roadie with all the twigs, acorns, conkers etc all over the road – the Croix should be ideal for autumn and winter! 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Croix de Fer 2014 ?’ is closed to new replies.