Croft Trail open day (Swindon)

Home Forum Bike Forum Croft Trail open day (Swindon)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Croft Trail open day (Swindon)
  • tomstickland

Social event.
    Sunday 1st April 2012
    10am-5pm.
    BBQ, cakes, coffee van.
    MBSwindon club there with stand and some bike shops too.

Eat, drink, talk, ride.

Trail open day April 2012

reevil

I lived in Newbury a year ago and visited the Croft Trail prob about once a month our so. You’ve done some great work there on limited land. Really enjoyed it.

dobiejessmo

Work is good as you say on limited land.But inless you live nr Swindon not worth the effort.

crispedwheel

But inless you live nr Swindon not worth the effort.

Or you’re driving past there, or working in or near Swindon during the week, or visiting friends/relatives etc, or fancy riding somewhere different…

I’ve been there once, and I think the folks involved have done a great job. Sounds from the OP that there’s some new stuff too.

dobiejessmo

Not saying there is anythink wrong with it but when you have the Cotswolds and FOD on your doorstep where would rather be???. 😆

saladdodger

but to be fair the guys are making the best of what they have got and should be applauded for it and just outside of old town to, might drop by one day to see what the guys and gals have achieved

Mind you I am glad the Quantocks is now my local area and not the ridgeway

lambchop

Have family just round the corner in Coate. Next time we visit the bikes coming too!

tomstickland

We’re quite happy for people to not visit if they don’t want to. We also wouldn’t expect someone to drive for hours to get there.

A lot of people who ride there use it because it’s local and convenient and quite interesting in terms of packing the trail into the space available. Plus relatively safe but quite tricky options.

Great to hear that it’s appreciated anyway.

tomstickland

Complete lap here. I complained that he rode round most of the interesting bits, so he’s making another one.

marvincooper

I live in sunny Swindon and for local folks it’s fantastic – completely different from the other local riding on the Ridgeway. You wouldn’t want to drive miles to have a go round the course but as a quick blast from home it’s superb. Will come along to the open day if I get the chance, keep meaning to get in touch with the club.

dobiejessmo

As i said its good to use to and from a ride up over Barbury Castle way and Avebury.Least people recognise your work because of the internet.
    When we built some of the trails in Cranham there was no internet Hay-Ho.
    I had 6 years of Swindon 🙄

sneakyg4

As one of the guys who did some of the digging on the new triangle section. Its not really my type of riding as I prefer more cross country stuff but it has a lot of good points.

Firstly its a specific bike trail, and well signposted as such, so its rare that you run into a walker on the trail, when you do they generally know they are in the wrong and move aside.

Secondly, its suitable for everyone; its council owned land so they have insisted that any features are friendly for beginners and families so they can always be rolled or bypassed. Not everyone is an advanced rider, we need these places to bring people into the sport without them being intimidated.

Thirdly despite what people say about it being flat/short/noisy/too basic its a really great ride; and its as difficult as you want to make it. Its easy to cruise round, but if you turn up the speed, its twisty nature can be challenging to any rider.

Actually you would be surprised how far some people do travel, as the club use it as a hub for their activities, and its a great club, friendly, welcoming and very active. And its not populated by bike snobs which I find a real turn off.

Long Live Croft!

baznav73

That looks great will have to come and have a go round i’m only just south of marlborough, i’ve heard people talking about it but first time i’ve seen it looks like quite a bit of sweat went into it.

tomstickland

This rear facing video includes more of the features. There’s a whole new length of woodwork (raised logs, ramps and rollers) that’s not shown because it’s not completely finished yet.

tomstickland

Thanks for the support!
    The club ride at loads of popular locations too.
    Ridgeway, Averbury, Ashton Court, Wansdyke, Forest of Dean, Cwm Carn, Afan, Brechfa, Long Mynd, Wyre Forest, Purbecks, Cannock, Nan y Rian, Llandegla, Penmachno, Betwsycoed, Coed y Brenin, Black Mountains, Brecons, Llanwrtyd Wells, Crychan, Malvers, Quantocks etc
    Events calendar

Spot anything that you like then just turn up and join in!-

Ride reports with photos and maps etc

tomstickland

It’s all set for tomrrow.
    Would be good to see you there.

Event info here: http://www.mbswindon.co.uk/trail-open-day-april-2012/

Facebook event here: http://www.facebook.com/events/218246668259287/

monsteryeti

Got 3 laps in the other day after a meeting at Nationwide. Great little circuit, fast and flowy. Some lovely features (rock gardens, drop off jumps etc) Worth checking out.

Well done all involved.

davesmate

It was a great day and the trail is what it is. If you live next door to FOD or deep in the welsh valleys you really wouldn’t want to make the journey to ride there. What it does offer however, is some pretty interesting riding in an area that is often described as a mountain biking blackspot,literally less than half an hours ride away for the majority of Swindon’s residents.

dobiejessmo

Living in and around Swindon for 6 years odd i wouldnt say it was a Mountainbike blackspot.Riding all the BYways out to Marlbrough,Avebury,Pewsey Downs/Roundway hill etc is still great fun its a different sort of riding to forest singletrack and big hills.You could live in far worse places to MTB.Great views and crop circles 🙄

lambchop

Visiting family in Swindon this weekend so we brought the bikes. Really enjoyed 3 laps yesterday and we’re off up there this morning for another bimble. My 9 year old cant stop talking about the woodwork! Great job to all the trail builders!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Croft Trail open day (Swindon)’ is closed to new replies.