Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Croatia as family holiday resort?
  • NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Has anyone been recently to Croatia as a family holiday resort. I have read that the exchange rate is much better than the Euro. Anyone got any experience. Good or bad?

Thanks.

Free Member

Hi,

Some friends of mine went over, they hired a car and absolutely LOVED it! Clean, beautiful, great scenery, biking-a-plenty, great beaches!

Pretty good value too from what's been said.

jt

mattsccm
    Free Member

My next door neighbour, from Bosnia totally recomendeds it

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dt5714
    Free Member

I went about 10 years ago as a family holiday-my dad was working with the UN in Bosnia. We were on the coast near to Pula, from what I can remember it was a lovely place. I am thinking of going back, taking my little one this time.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Spent a long time there in the early-mid 90s… not on holiday, from what I saw that hadn't been bombed/raised to the ground looked quite nice…

Kinda tempted to go back and see what its like now..

firestarter
    Free Member

i was down there for r and r whilst doing three tours over there some lovely places be even nicer now its been rebuilt 🙂

Trekster

Had a week there last year, all as above but very warm in summer @ 36+.

Slovenia is also very nice been 3 times, Bohijn and Bovec. All good for outdoor types if you like hiking, biking and water sports.

teagirl
    Free Member

We may try it soon as we've chums (teachers mainly) who love it and keep going back. Don't know what the biking's like but the camping right next to the beautiful beach sounds lovely and there is some good climbing, apparently.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Thanks for the response. Is the feeling now that country is stable and welcomes to tourism?

backhander
    Free Member

I went originally ahem…working in the 90s like many others.
    I have been back 3 times in recent years.
    The islands are where it's at especially if you like watersports (I would recommend Bol in Brac).

Trekster

NorthCountryBoy – Member
    Thanks for the response. Is the feeling now that country is stable and welcomes to tourism?

We stayed in Opatjia(sp?)and it was very friendly. We did not try any of the night clubs etc but there were plenty of big yachts and cruisers along the piers and the night life along the harbour side was lively.
    They did like us Scots

Might be best to learn some phrases and the currency/counting. English in some of the smaller shops and cafes is not great

mugsys_m8

We went there on our first cyle tour ever this August. 'We' = Mrs Mugsy, 18 month old mini mugsy and I. We went to Istria (i.e area including Pula). It was very hot. We camped, all the campsites are along the coast, and set up for people who stay for more than 1 night. Fine for camper vans, caravans etc, not so good for cycle touring as meant places were booked up, and stayed booked up, and each night we had to get back to the coast, or stay in an hotel.

Many (not all as there were some superb ones) of the campsites were err very eastern bloc, but sadly not cheap to go with it. The good ones were very good and at about the same price. We drove from Lyon in about 12 hours (about 8 hours driving time). Mostly Italians, Germans, Austians Slovenians and lesser Poles. English were there but not in force.

It was very hot. Did I say it was hot? esp when towing camping kit and son. We had lots of punctures, many roads are not tarmacced even though map says they are. We had one particuarly epic day (our 1st) involving puncture after puncture and an epic time trial by yours truly on our last two good tubes to bail out and get the car! We learnt a lot.

Intersting place, worth going to, but we were sometimes not sure whether we loved it or loathed it. But that was I think due to how we were trying to do it, i.e. on Bikes. One day of rain in two weeks.

john_drummer
    Free Member

before the break up of Yugoslavia, Dubrovnik & Split were both pretty popular, if off the beaten track, alternatives to Greece, IIRC.

my balkan geography isn't that hot but I think both may now be in Croatia

GlennG
    Free Member

Stayed in brela about an hours drive south of Split, stunning place, really good value holiday, beach one side and mountains the other. Best holiday me and the family have had (without the bike) and would love to go back out again.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Thanks for the info, i shall investigate!

xcstu
    Free Member

Went there last year… Hvar and Split… quite expensive in hvar due to the 40 million pound yacht sailing in every night… beauty place but beaches were mostly rocky. Warm too…

Split seemed a lot cheaper but more of a big town with lots of history…

Def good place for cycling too..

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Croatia as family holiday resort?’ is closed to new replies.