Critique my shed design

Home Forum Chat Forum Critique my shed design

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Critique my shed design
  • Premier Icon alexpalacefan
    Subscriber

Line with fibre glass insulation and chicken-wire stapled to the inside of the ply. That will defeat reciprocating saws et c.

APF

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

Built with no plans. It has a load bearing roof and lives in the workshop:

You did Google Morrison Shelter before you started though 🙂

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

I have a new shed today.
    Budget and space dictates it is only just big enough, and steel. 🙁

huws

I’ve simplified WARDROBEZILLA slightly. Clear internal depth is now 650mm and the door opening is approx 1450mm.

Feel free to take the piss.

Base now sits on semi buried concrete blocks with one central post concreted in for stability.

50 x 50mm frame with 75 x 75mm door post and lintel. 50 x 50mm roof joists at 400mm centres.

9mm WBP ply cladding. 18mm floor and shelf.

TGV cladding. doors 25 x 100mm frame, 9mm ply then clad. Roof 18mm ply with felt covering, drip lines front and rear, air gaps all round.

Thanks all.

Premier Icon cloudnine
    Subscriber

Maybe build a scale model out of matchsticks.. those artsy wardrobe computerised images are a bit confusing

Needs a woodburner and a breadmaker

5thElefant

Is that guest accommodation on the mezzanine?

Premier Icon franksinatra
    Subscriber

Nope, still a wardrobe

drlex

Won’t the shelf prevent you fitting in the detached front wheels?

rs

[armchairengineersecurityexpert]how are the doors going to lock, seems like they will lock to each other which seems less secure than against a more solid wall[/armchairengineersecurityexpert]

Drlex – perhaps but it’ll be better for hat boxes and photo albums

Euro

Needs a dinosaur and double decker bus in there for scale.

huws

Is that guest accommodation on the mezzanine?

Tools and parts bin accommodation on the mezzanine. Guests can sleep on the gravel outside.

Won’t the shelf prevent you fitting in the detached front wheels?

Front wheels will fit in amongst the bikes. If not they can live under the bed with the hat boxes.

[armchairengineersecurityexpert]how are the doors going to lock, seems like they will lock to each other which seems less secure than against a more solid wall[/armchairengineersecurityexpert]

Left hand door will lock top, bottom and middle with padlocked shoot bolts.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

If I was keeping bikes in there I’d replace the wooden support bit with right angle steel sections, which would make cutting into it / crowbarring it apart much harder. Wood is pretty easy to defeat with battery powered power tools, you can just cut round all the locks with a jigsaw in seconds…..

Olly

I figure you need to protect against 3types of attackers.

1: opportunist noseys. Needs to be solid enough to withstand a kicking. No windows so no clues as to contents.

2: tooled up noseys. Door needs to withstand a crowbar. Locks need to be protected from chisel attacks. They are still opening it up just to see.

3: people after your bikes. Equiped to remove the door. No amount of wood will stop them. Rely on them not bringing an angle grinder and get a big, tool steel security chain.

If someone wants in and has basic tools they will get in. The chain stops them wandering off with your bike when they do.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

Most common tool of entry is a spade or fork borrowed from a neighbour’s unlocked shed. Thieves don’t carry crowbars in case they get stopped. I’ve seen a few doors taken off their hinges with a spade…

joshvegas

Could you not set a massive anchor coming tbrough the floor for the real security and the shed becomes a deterant?

mudshark

Can you put a sign on it saying no bikes kept in wardrobe over night?

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

🙂

or “cash kept in mattress, leave this wardrobe alone”

huws

actuLOL

The shed will only ever be a deterrent.

It being London the garden is small and overlooked with no direct access from the road. I’m hoping that a trellis on top of a rickety fence with roses growing on it should keep out most opportunists. If they’re so determined to have got that far they’ll then have to contend with a (hopefully) well-made wardrobe, a ground anchor concreted in underneath, an almax chain and some part dismantled bikes. There will likely be a cheap sacrificial bike kept lightly locked in the garden too.

I’m looking at revision 3 now that has a wider single door.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

What you really need is decoys in the garden, I recommend a couple of bedside tables and a standard lamp.

joshvegas

4stick you clothes in there and keep your bikes inyour bedroom.

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

The only way I’d fit 3 bikes in there, is if Narnia was behind a coat.

drlex

You’d get all five of these in there, and still have room for the hatboxes, photo albums and a few copies of Razzle:

huws

As it seems to be shed week on STW I thought I should update my outdoor wardrobe thread now it’s finished.

And for all those who doubted 3 bikes would fit. I YOUR FACES! 18mm to spare on the length and at least 50mm on the width. 😀

wrightyson

You go want a diagonal on that door though otherwise it will drop.

Premier Icon metalheart
    Subscriber

Marvellous, but I’d recommend getting some locks….

I’m thinking about a shed to house a motorbike and this has given me some food for thought, so thanks for that!

huws

You go want a diagonal on that door though otherwise it will drop.

Is it really likely to drop? It’s a single sheet of OSB. Although that sounds sarcastic it is a serious question.

Marvellous, but I’d recommend getting some locks….

Locks are in but hidden in the joints between the cladding.

konabunny

I built this with less detailed drawings than yours

Where is that? I like the look of it. How much did it cost you to build? Got a similar idea planned…

Premier Icon righog
    Subscriber
    Jamie

Hi Konabunny

YHM

My wooden house

Must cost a fortune in varnish 😉

Premier Icon righog
    Subscriber

Not as much as it looks Jamie, believe it or not we don’t bother varnishing the fire engine ( anymore )

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Critique my shed design’ is closed to new replies.