Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Critique my planned DB Alpine (budget) build…
  • IvanDobski
    Free Member

Ordered my Alpine frame (just need to pony up the cash now!) and have decided to build to a budget. If anyone can spot any glaring weak spots feel free to point em out. Don't bother saying XTR instead of Deore – I'm trying to put the money where it's most needed…

Dialled Bikes Alpine frame
    15mm Floats (got already – upgrading main bike to revs)
    15mm XT UST wheels (got already – upgrading main bike to 20mm bolt-through)
    2.2 UST Highrollers (got one already)
    2010 Deore double chainset, shifters, mechs and brakes (180mm F&R)
    Easton EA70 Bars (got already)
    Easton EA70 stem
    Thomson Seatpost (need the layback – cheaper suggestions appreciated)
    Cane Creek Headset
    V8 pedals
    Charge Spoon saddle, grips

It's designed as a bombproof GT/Inners, short blast around a quarry bike for a big bloke (16st+ inc kit) who has more enthusiasm than skill…

momo

No critique here, looks like a sensible solid build.

Enjoy it, it should be fun.

soobalias
    Free Member

what was the budget?
    what dolor?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Sounds good to me.

Vortexracing

seems spot on to me.

why do you need a lay back post?

soobalias
    Free Member

surely most cheapy 27.2 seat posts are layback

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Not working to a budget as such, just want to keep the cost down as much as possible whilst still having a solid reliable bike. The forks and wheels are coming of my full-susser as I want adjustable travel for steep peaks/lakes climbs so I'm budgeting for them as well. I reckon it'll come to about £1500 by the time I've swapped kit around.

And it'll be Kawasaki green… 8)

Layback post? I'm short of leg but long in body so I've measured up and with a layback post I could shorten the stem a tad whilst keeping reach the same and enjoying the standover height. If you know what I mean?!

Vortexracing

Mike just sent me a piccie of the kwaker green in the next order.

I'm still deciding if mine is a little too short in the TT. I got a 15"/21" in purple. Need to get out on it this weekend and then decide to keep it or swap for a 16"/22.25 in that green.

BTW the bikes are very good, and great VFM.

that green don't half look good.

just one point. If possible I would also go for a Thomson stem.

Remember, 'Collar and cuffs'

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I know – tbh I've not even managed to convince myself that I'll not end up with a matching stem/seatpost combo!

Any chance you can email me a pic of the green? (email in profile)

Vortexracing

YHM

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thomson layback posts look awful but yes try and match the stem

hora
    Free Member

Sounds bloody nice although the gear queer in me demands you put in a King h/set. That build demands it. 🙂

Edit: Kawasaki green? You know thats my favourite colour (had my Cham resprayed in that). Can I see a pic please?

freeridenick
    Free Member

Bigger tyres?

poppa
    Free Member

Aren't high rollers 'small' for a given size? The Alpine is a pretty hardcore frame, I would be tempted to run bigger tyres – maybe 2.5" Maxxis size or 2.35" Kenda size. Maybe wait until your High Rollers get worn down first if money is tight!

GeForceJunky

I'd run SLX cranks with steel pedal inserts as 16 stone on a hardtail is asking alot of deore cranks when your enthusiasm overtakes your smooth landing skill level! I'd also change the pedals to something like Superstar Nanos, which have a wider lower shape and feel much nicer.

P.S. How much are Alpine frames these days?

acjim
    Free Member

Unless you really like V8 pedals I'd go for something else, perhaps these? I've got some v8s and have relagated them to pub bike status – just not that grippy.

Anyone who has sent me an e-mail asking for a pic of the green will have to wait until later as it's on my other computer (unless Ash wants to post a pic of his bike which is the only one in that colour at the moment).

There will only be a small number of green frames in the next batch as I didn't know how well it would be received. The majority of the next batch are translucent red.

GeForce Junky they are £330 to pre-order (full price will be £380 when they're in stock).

racing_ralph
    Free Member

2.2 high roller usts don't exist

soobalias
    Free Member

that could cause a problem then.

poppa
    Free Member

soobalias, you need to MTFU. I once did Fort Bill on tyres that didn't exist.

soobalias
    Free Member

were you running them tubeless and what pressures do you favour.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

I would go bigger tyre (at least on the front). A big tractor-like one could also help lift the front to compensate for the shorter forks (I'm speculating, you might like the fit but it's just the frame is corrected for up to 160mm and, IIRC, fox tend to be shorter a-c than other brands). Whatever, IMO big front tyres rock – maybe Bontrager Big Earl in 2.5 or (just trying at the mo') a WTB Weirwolf in same size.

I've never been bothered by stem brand / quality. Save the cash and buy whatever makes the bike fit best for least cost. But picking this and a tyre (to a lesser extent) will also depend on what rise your existing bars are. Otherwise it might end up a bit too chopper-ed.

I run an old (and everso slightly bent) Raceface XY post on mine. Like it, definitely needed it for personal fit (32" inside leg, 5'10", above average ape index ;-)) A Salsa Shaft would probably be OK too, but again, you can economise just like the stem. I'd rather save cash on these two and pimp up the chainset, personally.

I don't like V8s and would get something else. Like Kona Wah-Wahs but it's personal preference and whatever can be found in budget.

Sweet bike, hope you like it 😎

Vortexracing

BTW, I changed from V12 to superstar nano, on mine which are like kona Wah-wahs, they seem great and have lasted so far.

I also have to agree with some off these guys, i currently run 2.35 HR's on mine but as you may have spotted my other post i'm looking to put a 2.5 tyre on it next.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Hmmmm that green isn't as green as I'd hoped…. Still looks good though.

Tires – yep, my mistake, they're 2.35s but smaller than my 2.2 rubberqueens hence the mix up so it'll be 2.35 HRs F&R.

Didn't know the SLX cranks have steel inserts which the Deores are missing so that's a probable upgrade…

Cheers guys,

richc
    Free Member

the Superstar pedals are much better than the V8's so I would think about switching them other than that it looks good.

Also I would stick with a Thomson post, as cheapy ones just bent if you are hard on bits.

Ivan, if you're referring to the pic of Ash's bike, in the flesh the green is much brighter.

Vortexracing

Glad you pointed that out Mike, in the photo it looks a little pale.

If Ash doesn't have time to post the green one up tonight I can do it a bit later, if it's OK with you?

let me know please.

Feel free to post it, Ash is probably too busy shredding alpine trails on his Alpine.

To cut a deluge of questions about EBB/Rohloff'd/Alfine'd Alpines off at the pass – Ash's frame is a one off and it won't be going into production (but the colour will!).

Vortexracing

Just after I posted, I thought about that.

best to 'cut them off at the pass' other wise your inbox would have been full.

Ash is probably too busy shredding alpine trails on his Alpine

lucky sod

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Critique my planned DB Alpine (budget) build…’ is closed to new replies.