• This topic has 39 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by teef.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Cripes – anyone watching the tennis?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Williams losing it big style.

I’ve seen points given for code violations – but can’t remember seeing a game given in such a high profile match. 😮

dawson

Just saw it on the news – proper melt down

ctk
    Free Member

Incredible.

ctk
    Free Member

Coach admitted to on court coaching, oops!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I saw a good point made on Twitter – if anything, the umpire should have explained that he wasn’t accusing her of cheating but that she had to take the punishment for her coach’s rule-breaking. That might have diffused things.

Her subsequent behaviour went beyond the pale though. Worth remembering she was only one more code violation away from defaulting a US Open final (pretty sure it’s warning -> point -> game -> match).

Fair dues to Osaka – she was ice cool throughout and I thought she had Williams in her pocket for most of the game.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yoku asonda Naomi-san

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

“You are a liar. You will never be on a court of mine as long as you live.“

And after above

bien jugado Ramos

mikey74
    Free Member

This is what I’ve always hated about the William’s sisters: they are arrogant and self-obsessed, which manifests from their attitude to their stupid court outfits.

** beer may, or may not, be involved in this reply.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Did she thank jehovah for her defeat, afterwards?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

You will be disappointed there. Did turn into a sexism issue wishing BJ King was happy to jump in with support.

“I’m here fighting for women’s rights and for women’s equality and for all kinds of stuff.”

ransos
    Free Member

Coach admitted to on court coaching, oops!

It’s one of those rules that is hardly ever enforced. It doesn’t excuse her reaction though.

ctk
    Free Member

Sexism in tennis.  Women play 3 sets men play 5. Thats sexist Serena, fight that ffs.

She’s lucky she’s so much better than everyone else because she is fragile when losing!

nickc

I’ve got to say I agree with her that no male player would get a code violation for having a barney with the chair umpire regardless of what they said.

Stoner
    Free Member

Agassi was given a match default (not just point or game) at San Jose in the ATP for foul language. General feeling was he got done very harshly for what should have been just a point loss.

Marcelo Rios in Los Angeles got a default for obscenity to the chair too.

Calling an umpire or a ref a cheat in any sport ought to be treated very severely. If I’m reffing I’d rather be called a **** than a cheat or a thief.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve got to say I agree with her that no male player would get a code violation for having a barney with the chair umpire regardless of what they said.

Eh? History says otherwise.

poah
    Free Member

pfff hormonal woman.

ransos
    Free Member

Sexism in tennis.  Women play 3 sets men play 5.

That’s mostly not true.

nickc

Eh? History says otherwise.

this tournament as been terrible for casual sexism from the umpires…

ctk
    Free Member

@ransos Grand Slam Tennis

ransos
    Free Member

@ransos Grand Slam Tennis

Which is a small percentage of the matches played.

Pigface
    Free Member

Who do you want to see in the final of the US Open the players or an official?

She really lost it but was treated harshly by an umpire who thought he was the main event.

ransos
    Free Member

this tournament as been terrible for casual sexism from the umpires…

The shirt changing episode? That was dismal.

ThePilot
    Free Member

pfff hormonal woman, says poah

A-hole poster, say I.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Who do you want to see in the final of the US Open the players or an official?

Id like to see the players respect the officials.

nickc

The shirt changing episode? That was dismal.

Compare the Williams episode to the umpire giving Kyrgios (well known brat) a pep talk in his match with Federer…

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/aug/30/nick-kyrgios-umpire-roger-federer-us-open-tennis

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Mike +1

Pigface
    Free Member

Mike how about the officials respect the players

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

We are talking about one of the most experienced and respected umpires in tennis

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/09/serena-williams-accuses-officials-of-sexism-and-vows-to-fight-for-women

Good for him

CheesybeanZ

I think the tennis governing body needs to remind Serena its not HER court .

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Id like to see the players respect the officials.

This. The officials represent the game…respecting the officials means respecting the game.

How about the officials respect the players

Not necessary. Irrelevant. The officials intervene when rules have been broken. Player breaks a rule, official intervenes. No respect necessary.

xora

She is learning from the men of the 80s, if your losing make sure you lose with lots of publicity 😀

martinhutch

It’s not a gender issue.  The coach let her down, and later admitted he was coaching, so the warning was appropriate. She argued over it but got no further penalty until she smashed her racket, which is an automatic point deduction.

She then somewhat unreasonably ranted at the umpire and called him a ‘thief’ for applying an automatic point deduction. He was perfectly entitled under the rules to deduct a game at that point for that outburst, and she gave him the opportunity to do it.

Basically, she was getting hammered anyway, and either lost the plot or decided to use the partisan NY crowd to try to intimidate the umpire.

ransos
    Free Member

Not necessary. Irrelevant. The officials intervene when rules have been broken. Player breaks a rule, official intervenes. No respect necessary.

No, they don’t always intervene, which is the point here.

Spin
    Free Member

It’s not a gender issue.

I think I’m more disappointed by her trying to make it a gender issue than by the initial poor behaviour. The latter is understandable in a high stress situation.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Agreed

Rich_s
    convert

I feel really sorry for her opponent, Osaka. To have the moment of your career highlight ruined by the behaviour of your opponent is rough.

But Williams – getting on your high horse and pulling the sexism card after you have called the match official a liar and a thief does not look great. I know there has been plenty poor player behaviour over the years but is anyone able to point to a male player making accusations as serious as that of an umpire and getting away with it?

martinhutch

As per the link above, she has form for doing this to debutant GS winners.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I think I’m more disappointed by her trying to make it a gender issue than by the initial poor behaviour. The latter is understandable in a high stress situation.

I suspect she knows deep down that she was completely in the wrong so she’s trying to blame it on something that she thinks no one will challenge her on.

teef
    Free Member

Sexism in tennis. Women play 3 sets men play 5

Who’d want to watch 5 sets of women’s tennis anyway – reduce it to 1 set would be a better idea.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Cripes – anyone watching the tennis?’ is closed to new replies.