Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Criminals / Lock Smiths Of STW
  • mechanicaldope

What are good euro cylinders to replace my locks with?

Nextdoor got broken into by peeling back / smashing off the door handle then breaking the cylinder. Apparently this is extremely easy and quick but can be defended against. Also see bumping locks etc.

Thinking I should probably try and make breaking into my house at least a bit of a challenge.

Cheers.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Look up anti snap lock.

jam-bo

Only needs to be better than next door…

ahsat

http://www.abs-secure.co.uk

Easy enough to fit yourself if you measure properly.

mechanicaldope

Only needs to be better than next door

And seeing that they are going to be replacing theirs….

FB-ATB

Only needs to be better than next door…

Trouble is next door will be upgraded now

matt_outandabout

We’ve just had a new front door fitted with an anti snap Ultion lock.

Apparently if it’s broken/ snapped/ drilled, it stays locked.

mechanicaldope

Look up anti snap lock

Wasn’t sure if one anti snap was better than another anti snap.

mechanicaldope

Easy enough to fit yourself if you measure properly

Had seen those. They’re OK then are they?

ahsat

We choose them after extensive research and speaking to some local suppliers. They haven’t been tested thankfully, and apparently can still be picked but it takes about 20 mins, but you’d think that is enough to put most people off. Lock snapping is a massive issue in West Yorkshire so police suggest these or similar. They are Diamond and 3* rated and you can’t get a spare cut at a local shop (need a code). Nothing is totally fool proof.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

You can get a handle that resists a pull back attack

Add to an anti snap lock such as Ultion

mick_r

Various BS kite marked ones.

There is a star rating 1 to 3 based on security (same with handles that protect the lock). Strangely a 1 star lock in combination with a 1 star handle can sometimes equal 3 star overall rating when used together(!). Think all our locks are Asec. You don’t need a locksmith.

Don’t forget that it is quite easy to just kick in the panel on some upvc doors….

finbar
    Free Member

Ultion. Get sold secure door handles with cylinder guards too.

rone

anti snap Ultion lock.

We shot some films for them….

We have Avocet, matched across the house.

Cougar

Stock Eurocylinders are shit. They’re readily pickable (not that a criminal would bother doing that, it’s just fun) and they’re breakable near-instantaneously.

Yup, Avocet ABS is the right answer.

Piece of piss to install, it’s literally one screw and takes seconds. Last one I bought was from here, they were considerably cheaper than anywhere else I could find: https://www.barnsleylockandsafe.co.uk/

mick_r

Careful with the handles as there are loads and loads of different lock-screw-handle spacings, some of which are pretty obsolete and you just can’t get anymore (certainly not in high security versions).

We managed to get matching handles for 2 out of 3 doors. The 3rd one looked like the same handle would work but the door internals were different and couldn’t drill the new screw hole. Universal handles are available but security is awful (so that door has 3 star lock and internal bolts).

RustyMac

When I looked a few years ago the ABS locks were as good as any i could find. Anti snap, anti pick and anti bump.

We have has these fitted for a little over 6 years now and they have been faultless.

poolman
    Free Member

Upgrading locks is brilliant but don’t be lulled into a false sense of security. My neighbour had the best of everything, locks, cctv. Massive refurb clearly someone spotted something they liked, 1 month later smashed a rear window grabbed the target stuff and ran off.

footflaps

We fitted super secure handles / enclosure as well as anti-snap / anti-bump locks. The idea being you can’t break the lock surround to get to the euro-cylinder itself. Certainly very sturdy things.

Pro-Secure Handle

coppice
    Free Member

Out of interest OP what did they take? were they after the car?

mechanicaldope

Yeah – the BMW. In the back and out the front in about 30 seconds

Edit: Good luck to anyone who want to get my car. Takes me 30 minutes to find the keys. There are benefits to being unorganised.

swedishmetal
    Free Member

can still be picked but it takes about 20 mins

You need to look at a Youtuber called “The Lock Picking Lawyer”. He’d be in in seconds.

Cougar

… and that’s all I have for you today.

daern
    Free Member

Nothing on one. Nothing on two. Small click on three. Four is binding…

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member
    swedishmetal
    Free Member

Haha! Glad to hear there are some other fans of the LPL.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Criminals / Lock Smiths Of STW’ is closed to new replies.