Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Cricklade – Food and booze options?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Anything good to recommend, anyone?

Thanks in advance.

MrPottatoHead

Red Lion, lovely selection of beers including their own craft beers brewed onsite.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sounds like a good thing! Thanks.

Doh1Nut

And also the source of the Thames
    The red lion has a teeny Thames at the end of the beer garden

but I didnt get to eat or drink there – sorry

richardk
    Free Member

Red Lion beer is good, food was patchy last time I ate there.  Try Jicsaw for Thai food, or The Ancient Raj for Indian.  Chutney is great for takeaway Indian.

IHN

Whoooooooah, now, just you hang on; who gave you permission to come North of the M4?

andytherocketeer

One place I wanted to check out if I ever get that way is the Bell in Purton Stoke just south of Cricklade.  Dunno if it’s any good? Any locals based around there?

Not entirely sure if I’d be welcome there though, given the family history!

richardk
    Free Member

The Bell at Purton Stoke is an Arkells pub.  In general that means crap beer and worse food – there are a couple of exceptions locally though, and this one looks like it could be one of those based on the reviews.  Not visited personally, and not heard it come up in any mention of good pubs locally – must be time for a visit!

IHN

To be fair, Arkells are really upping their game and refreshing their estate. Their beer is improving too. I don’t know the Bell, but the Rose and Crown in Legh is a lovely pub, and the Victoria in Eastleach is excellent.

richardk
    Free Member

I’d add the Masons Arms (Meysey Hampton) to that list as well.  Never thought I’d say this, but the Arkells craft lager was pretty good…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Arkells pub. In general that means crap beer

I’m a regular at the Royal Oik in Bishopstone. Very average beer. Great food and company mind you.

who gave you permission to come North of the M4?

Vaccinations and passport both up to date. Also, having lived in T’Norf I can come and go without needing a visa.

richardk
    Free Member

It’s not your vaccinations and passport I’m worried about, we’ll need to check whether the locals are ready for your trousers and shoes.  Have you got any pink cords to wear to blend in?

sirromj

Disappointed, thought this was about healthy drinks for the heart.

andytherocketeer

I reckon I’d need more than a passport, visa and vaccinations… I’m the descendent of a murderer there, whose victim had the post mortem in the Bell Inn.

If the food is that bad, maybe I’ll try somewhere else 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have you got any pink cords to wear to blend in?

Currently wearing brown Bedfords, however have proper cloth of the king in mustard yellow, green, and among others, red. Of course. #lamfrt

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Red Lion – Proper pub. Lovely. Great beer, and just felt like a pub should. Friendly, chatty, dogs, families, and just a lovely spot.

Ta!

DavidB
    Free Member

Arkells doesn’t travel well. Doesn’t even make it across the road to the Kingsdown Arms. Terrible stuff that needs nuking from orbit

natrix
    Free Member

Has the bottom dropped out of your world?

Drink Arkells and watch the world drop out of your bottom!!!!!!!!!!!!

Selled
    Free Member

One of the butchers in Cricklade sales superb sausages, just saying! Oh, and the Red Lion for good beer.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Cricklade – Food and booze options?’ is closed to new replies.