Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Crickhowel/Black Mountains, in these conditions?
  • fbk
    Free Member

Hoping to head over to do a loop from Crickhowell into the Black Mountains this weekend and I was just wondering how bad the mud gets over there (I’ve done a great loop heading East from Llanbedr then up through Mynydd Ddu in the past but only in August). Is is likely to be a mud strewn hike-a-bike and, if so, can anyone recommend a good “all weather” alternative loop in the area.

Oh, and I’ve done the standard Gap loop and was pretty underwhelmed to be honest, although I realise that’s a good rocky loop to do.

fbk
    Free Member

Really? No-one? Blimey! 😯

dragon
    Free Member

Can’t give any recent conditions info, but did it years ago at this time of year in typical rainy November conditions and its was fine. Big puddles yes, but deep mud no. Unfortunately no idea how/if it’s changed.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fbk
    Free Member

Thanks Dragon – was that the “Killer loop” or the one that heads up to the east of Mynydd Ddu? Either way I’m hoping it won’t be too bad.

mt
    Free Member

it will be wet muddy and horrid. So a great day out and well worth it.

officialtob
    Free Member

it will be wet muddy and horrid. So a great day out and well worth it.

+1

booktownman
    Free Member

I’m in the Black Mountains, there’s been a fair bit of weather the last few days, it will be wet but how muddy depends on how many pony trekkers have been out trashing the bridleways.

If you do the killer clockwise, with the descent to Gwyrne Fawr reservoir, watch out for the wheel-width drainage ditches someone has kindly cut at regular intervals along the trail. Great route, have fun.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Crickhowel/Black Mountains, in these conditions?’ is closed to new replies.