Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Crib Goch or Sharp Edge
  • stevedoc
    Free Member

So simple question which in these two is classed as the harder scramble all things being equal. On a cloud free windless day.

Looking to follow on from Swirral this weekend gone. And i wont be attempting either until the weather fairy says its right to do so 🙂

felltop

Sharp Edge is the next logical step. Harder than Swirral, but not much longer. Crib Goch is a fair bit longer, and more serious. Wait for a dry day though, Sharp Edge is as slippery as ise when its damp. Striding Edge would be good, but nicer to visit a different hill.

supernova

Crib Goch is more of a longer horizontal crab crawl along a ridge, whereas Sharp Edge is a easy but slightly exposed scramble up a slope.

I can’t tell you which is classified harder, but they’re both great fun on a nice day!

stevedoc
    Free Member

I did Striding up and Swirrel down on Saturday sorry missed my edit chance 🙂
    Took around 4 hours total inc lunch at the top from the White Lion

welshfarmer

Crib Goch is harder/more committing than any of the Lakes scrambles. Technically it isn’t that hard really if you are happy with hands and feet scrambling, but the exposure in a few places can be quite extremem for some people and the consequence of a fall are very severe.

Spin
    Free Member

They’re both classed the same i.e. grade-1 scrambles. Difficulty wise nothing much in it but as the poster above says Crib Goch is a little more committing.

That of course changes in the wet when Sharp Edge absolutely lives up to it’s reputation.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Yep ive read about the problems caused by the wet on Sharp edge .

Thanks all

Heres looking towards the next dry day in 2022 so maybe October then looking at this weeks forecast 😉

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Crib Goch. I don’t remember Sharp Edge as being all that. There’s a flat, but very exposed polished rock section in the middle of Sharp Edge that is an easy few normal steps on a dry windless day, but would be terrifying in a howling wind when covered in verglas, otherwise I can’t remember much about the route itself.

Crib Goch is longer and has a lot more going on. However getting it to yourself would be the tricky bit. (we did it late evening and bivvyed up at the cafe).

You wouldn’t want to fall off either, mind…

ElShalimo

Sharp Edge is greasy as hell. It’s pretty easy but it messes with your head. Best undertaken after a prolonged warm and dry spell.

Spin
    Free Member

Yep ive read about the problems caused by the wet on Sharp edge .

It’s really astonishing the difference it makes, rock type, lichen, aspect all combine to make it exceedingly slippy. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not death on a stick if you know what you’re doing but even for the experienced you need to have your wits about you if it’s wet.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Striding Edge is very easy and I would say any competent higher could do it, just about on the scramble scale, especially considering you can dodge almost everything and have to actually find the scrambles. Certainly dont do striding edge and then jacks rake assuming they’ll be equals like we did!! I’d say like others do Sharp Edge first and then Crib Goch but if you have a head for heights neither will be technically extremely difficult, its more the fact that you’re on such a precipice for Crib Goch.

timbog160

Both are great scrambles and you will be fine on either if you keep your wits about you. I remember Sharp Edge as being a bit of a one move wonder. Crib Goch is to my mind a lot longer, committing and more sustained. On a good day you’ll have a great time on both. If I was to say do one as a follow on it would be Sharp Edge though.

welshfarmer

The last time I did Crib Goch was 12 years ago it would appear!

stevedoc
    Free Member

The above is a no no the wife would kill me

dyls

Crib Goch isn’t a difficult scramble – but you will need a head for heights as it is exposed. There are also no easy escape routes, so one you are on the ridge you are basically committed.

A good days scrambling is the Bochlwyd horseshoe in Ogwen valley – Tryfan, Bristly Ridge and down Y Gribyn Ridge. All grade 1’s but more difficult than Crib Goch – as you can veer off piste slightly to make it a bit more challenging as well. It’s only around 10k in distance but will take you a full day to do.

grim168
    Free Member

I’ve done both. First time on sharp edge was in cloud, I was alone and couldn’t see what was ahead and turned back. Following week in bright sun it was easy. Crib goch was longer and a bit harder. We had a perfect day for that.

BadlyWiredDog

Yep, I was going to suggest Tryfan’s North Ridge – more of a sprawling shoulder really – and Bristly Ridge as a good intermediate option. I’m not sure they’re ‘harder’ than Crib Goch, but they’re mostly less exposed. Beyond all that… Scotland 🙂

welshfarmer

Beyond all that…. Cyfrwy Arete on Cadair Idris 🙂

felltop

@stevedoc you had a good day for the edges on Saturday, although it looked busy! I could see the crowds on Striding Edge and Helvellyn summit from Raise. 4 hours for the circuit is about right, that’s what my employer allowed when I was paid to do it….

TheDTs
    Free Member

Want to Go to the mountains now.
    Done CG a few times, it’s a great route. Did the Horse Shoe with my dad, cracking day out. Snow, views, Brocken Spectre, sliding down gullies on our arses, no crowds, beer. Did Tryfan North the day before which was a bit more weather affected.

mrb123
    Free Member

Don’t forget about Halls Fell on Blencathra. A decent scramble itself if you stick to the crest. Can be used as your descent route if you tackle Sharp Edge.

matt_outandabout

The answer is of course Aonach Eagach.

😉

As above, I’ve been on Sharp edge in the dry and thought ‘is that it?’, returned in the damp and though ‘blimey’. But it’s short n sharp.

Halls Fell is a good shout – it’s a fun place be with some great feeling of air.

Crib Goch is similar ‘blimey’ in places, but just longer and more varied. It’s the nicer day out IMO.

stevedoc
    Free Member

@Felltop It was around 830am when we set off so when we sat on Catsy we saw what looked like a load of lemmings on the top , looks like we dodged the crowds

matt_outandabout

I forgot:

Jake’s Rake on Pavey Ark is a great scramble in my memory.

Harrison Stickle also offers a nice scramble on the north side as well.

North Wales has some more classics such as Tryfan North ridge and Bristly Ridge.

Spin
    Free Member

The answer is of course Aonach Eagach.

Have you used the SMC ‘Highland Scrambles’ guides? Obviously there are classics like the Aonach Eagach in there but there are fair number of chossy/vegetated horror shows too!

matt_outandabout

I’ve not read that guide, Walk Highlands seems more up to date… Plus user reviews tend to indicate the ‘quality’ of the mankiness…

martinhutch

It’s a slippery slope, soon the buzz of simple ridges won’t be enough, you’ll want to be roping up for short scrambles, then you’ll be placing protection, next thing you know, you’ll be measuring your ape index, and talking about campusing 1-5-9 and running it out above a dodgy RP.

Halls Fell is great, I prefer to climb up that way and descend via Sharp Edge.

stevedoc
    Free Member

@Spin It would just so happen we are in Glencoe on the week commencing the 11th/4 so weather permitting Aonach Eagach might be just the best call 😉

boxelder

If looking to do a nice scramble onto Blencathra, Hall’s Fell ridge is better than Sharp Edge IMHO. It’s longer, less slippery, less busy and you can make it harder or easier by varying your route. It also leads straight to the summit. The ‘hard’ bit on Sharp Edge is unavoidable. The video below from 1:30 gives a fair idea.
    According to Wainwright – “positively the finest way to any mountain top in the district”
    Halls Fell

WildHunter2009

Cyfrwy Arete – Oh wow this looks epic. I love Cadair but might need to build up to this!

mrb123
    Free Member

Blencathra: head up Halls Fell. Down to Scales Tarn. Up Sharp Edge. Down Doddick. All the best bits covered and not a massive day out.

matt_outandabout

Cyfrwy Arete

A very sporting day out, but firmly in the ‘need a rope really’ and not as long as I wanted…

Pieface

Go up Hall’s Fell Ridge, head west to descend to Scales Tarn then take in Sharp Edge to take in the summit for the second time.

Sharp Edge has one short ‘Bad Step’ which is treachorous in the wet, and the scrambl above that should not be under-estimated as it isn’t over and is steep, but generally ok.

Crib Goch may be easier technically but is a much bigger and commiting undertaking.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Again loads of input thanks all. Great reading and reviewing. The reason for asking is while im a more than competent having scrambled a bit of stuff n the lakes with my bike on my shoulder, my lad whos just 18 had started coming with. He seemed very comfy on Striding and I fear ive created a like minded monster.

Dickyboy

my lad whos just 18 had started coming with.

Good on ya, pretty sure I was only 9yo when we did Grib Goch with my family bitd.

Pieface

Should you need any further information on scrambling / torlling, here’s some amusing reading

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/search.php?forum=0&dates=1&name=Cneifion+Ar%C3%AAte&topic=&body=

uponthedowns
    Free Member

@Stevedoc this should keep you busy Follow up to Steve Ashton’s classic Accidents Scrambles in Snowdonia

ElShalimo

Cyfrwy Arete is another level to most of the routes mentioned on here so far. You’ll definitely need a rope and knowledge/skills on how to use it and how to back off if it gets too much. Cracking day out if you can refuel on top with an oggie

The issue with scrambling is that Grade 1 is fairly easy (if your head can deal with exposure) but when you step up to Grade 2 or 3 the consequences of a fall or problem are very serious. Grades 3 and 3S are basically climbing anyway so full climbing kit is required.

The scariest route I’ve ever done was the east ridge of Y Garn in Snowdonia – it’s only Grade 2 but it was unexpectedly difficult on that day (maybe we didn’t take the normal line). We had to get roped up to finish it.

matt_outandabout

He seemed very comfy on Striding and I fear ive created a like minded monster.

welcome to my world…

Spin
    Free Member

t would just so happen we are in Glencoe on the week commencing the 11th/4 so weather permitting Aonach Eagach might be just the best call

It is exposed and there’s quite a lot of it but it’s not difficult. It’s nothing like as bad as Sharp Edge but it does get a bit slippy in the wet. The first time I did the Glen Coe Skyline race there was a shower came through when lots of folks were on the AE. Time gaps that had been 5 minutes before became 30 minutes plus depending on whether you got caught in the shower or not!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.