• This topic has 64 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by br.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Crests – how much of a beating can they take?
  • Kryton57

I’m think of buying a pair on hope hubs, weighing in at 1460g they’d be great for racing / 24 hrs, and drop 280g’s off my current wheelset.

Although I’d be happy with them on forest trails, are they a safe bet on a Wales/Peaks rocky battering?

The question is really of a) A decadent purchase bling additional wheelset for racing or b) less decadent because I can use the all the time.

??

rickon
    Free Member

I rode them daily in Wales around the trail centres. I’m assuming you’re meaning the 24h Pro3s SP.

Mine took a beating and were fine, they’re not particularly stiff, but they are very light.

Kryton57

No, PRO2 Evo’s – option for Straight or J Pull…

Stoner
    Free Member

Im 95Kg and ride fully rigid on Crests.
    No hucking, but Im hardly a floatey-fairy either.
    Not had any problems.
    Built them myself though, on XTR M965 with straight gauge spokes (all I had lying around)

Dales_rider
    Free Member

I use these,

ride em down this

And you know how heavy I am

MrNice
    Free Member

I’m 80kg and use crests in the Peak. They’ve a few scrapes on them but the only time I did any more damage was when I pinch flatted and then clattered a couple more rocks before stopping (there’s a small ding in the rim but they trued up OK and still run tubeless without problems). They’re not a race wheel, when I bought them they were bang in the middle of the Stans range between the weight-limited XC rims at one end and the full-on DH at the other.

luket

I’m under 75kg and also no hucker. I flat-spotted one irreparably on my hardtail at somewhere less rim-killing than the peaks (Haldon) and without being able to pinpoint the fatal moment afterwards.

The whole cross section bent in – I’d post a photo but don’t know how from a phone.

Anyway, so I think while you should be fine you might also be riding your luck a bit.

Mine was annoying because it was only a couple of months old. I replaced it with an Arch.

Kryton57

LOL @ Dales Rider – I should be fine then.

I still have the option to keep my current wheels for bashing about Welsh trial centres….

rickon
    Free Member

1460g

Pro2 Evos…

Unlikely to be that weight, my Pro3s with 24 spokes on DT Revolution spokes weighed that.

More likely 1600g with DT comps, or a little less with DT revs.

You might get close to that weight with CX Ray spokes, but they’re expensive….

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I have used them since they replaced the 355 rim and ride Dartmoor mostly. They have been fine apart from the very first ride on Exmoor where I was using a tyre too small (2.1 Ignitor) and got a slow punture. Got a couple of dings in the rear wheel but it didn’t go out of true and still runs tubeless OK. I’d say they’re OK for general use provided you don’t get a lot of air time and use fairly large volume tyres. They’re not strong alloy though so if you are the sort who gets a lot of pinch punctures you’ll risk bashing them up fairly quickly. 1460g sounds very light – is that correct?

rickon
    Free Member

I’m under 75kg and also no hucker. I flat-spotted one irreparably on my hardtail at somewhere less rim-killing than the peaks (Haldon) and without being able to pinpoint the fatal moment afterwards.

I did that too.

Although it was at Sligachan, when bunny hopping big water bars. Considering the battering they took over the week in the West coast, they held up very well, I’d be surprised if any rim survived that incident 🙂

Kryton57

rickon – Member
    1460g
    Pro2 Evos…
    Unlikely to be that weight….

My mistake it was 1560, and I got that from the Stan’s calculator http://www.notubes.com/Wheel_Weight_Calc.aspx

Dales_rider
    Free Member

673 and 810 including Rotors is the actual measured weight of mine. XC3s BTW.

rickon
    Free Member

XC3s aren’t they Pro3s with 24h spokes? Plus only 3 bolt Hope rotors, They’re not apples for apples 🙂 Although proving the point that they can take a battering.

Kryton57

So pro2’s x 32 will be a bit stronger – and a bit heavier?

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Yes so shed another 300 off your bike with the XC3s, racing 2 hour you dont need strong wheels as the courses these days are mor like a cross course.

Kryton57

Hmm. The offer I had was Pro2’s on Crest or Arch Ex @ £285. To go Pro 3 I’m back in the £300-£400 mark.

Mightn’t bother then.

rewski
    Free Member

I ended up going for Arch Ex’s, but I tend to ding rims on the downs flint.

12fifty
    Free Member

The Pro3 SP/crest 26er wheel is lovely very very lovely I’m 11st in my wet lycra

I’ve also got the pro2/crest 29er and it’s a lovely reasonably light wheel stays pretty true not like the SP one though which never needed a tweak.

The crest rim is pretty cheese like, any hit likely to damage the tyres (rocket rons) is also likely to have dinged the rim so I’ve occasionally had to take the pliers out to straighten a couple of wibbles.
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    More than enough to ride down a flat pavement of rock pictured above!

Northwind

Strength and hardness are 2 different things, people get the 2 confused I think… Crests aren’t that hard- they ding relatively easily- but they’re strong, so they don’t break/develop massive dents/otherwise become a problem too easily.

chakaping
    Free Member

Rims reasonably tough but wheels pretty flexy I thought (I’m between 12 and 13st).

Someone posted about bargain Crossmax STs yesterday, they’d be great for XC racing AND rougher riding.

Kryton57

chakaping – Member

Someone posted about bargain Crossmax STs yesterday, they’d be great for XC racing AND rougher riding.

Saw those – but what do the numbers in brackets (on ribble) mean e.g (9/15 x 100) and which one’s do I need for 6 bolt rotor, 15mm Front & QR rear?

wl
    Free Member

My mate runs Crests and they take plenty of Lakes/Pennines abuse, though he doesn’t jump. I reckon tons of folk run heavier duty Stans rims than they need to. Flows everywhere, when Arch EXs would be absolutely fine.

chakaping
    Free Member

what do the numbers in brackets (on ribble) mean e.g (9/15 x 100)

Those numbers sound like the front hub spec.

Just had a look on Ribble, appears from pic to be a previous version of the wheelset. Worth dropping them a line to check.

I only have experience of the current model.

mrblobby
    Free Member

My Hope Pro2/Crest get a right battering and have been fine. I’m not that heavy and they are on a hardtail. Great set of do it all wheels (and my 29er set were only 200 quid 🙂 ) They aren’t light though.

If you’re after a light race wheelset there are better options out there.

njee20
    Free Member

My Pro 2/Crest hoops were 1585g FWIW.

khani
    Free Member

Saw those – but what do the numbers in brackets (on ribble) mean e.g (9/15 x 100) and which one’s do I need for 6 bolt rotor, 15mm Front & QR rear?

The CL ones are centre lock rotor fitting, the 9/15 x 100 is the front hub, without any adapters they’re 15mm axle and QR with adapters that should be supplied with the wheels, the rears are all QR on those, only the newer ones come can be converted to 142 rear axles
    The INTL ones are six bolt rotor versions, it does say they have a ceramic braking surface in the description which leads me to think they’re the v brake rim versions as well, the pic looks like an older version not the currant one,
    I’d ring em up to clarify exactly which ones they are..

khani
    Free Member

Actionsports.de have some good deals on lightweight DT Swiss 240/stans wheels that come with a 15mm front hub at the mo.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Northwind is correct IMHO.
    They are soft but quite tough for their weigh.

I’m clumbsy, 14st and not that slow downhill.
    I’ve got crests tubeless on my 100mm XC hardtail and occasionally forget that I’m riding the lightweight bike. It gets hammered down bouldery stuff like Garburn & ICR and is quite happy dropping multiple 3ft flights of steps top to bottom.
    No I can’t claim that they’ve stayed true but they’ve not failed either and have always been easy enough to re-true now and then.
    When I eventually kill them, I’ll go up to Arch EX.

If the hardest thing they’ll have to contend with is trail centres though, Crests will be fine.

DanW
    Free Member

Crests will be more than durable enough I’d have thought especially if you are keeping your wheels on the ground most of the time. I’m 75kg and have put lots of rocky, rooty Welsh miles on Podium MMX rims. They are more than fine on the less demanding trail centre trails too but around 1250g. I accept their overall lifespan is likely to be smaller than Crests but they are just so damn nice to ride. Alpines are also worth a look to drop some g’s over Crests although you do end up with a narrower rim if this bothers you. Basically for racing/ 24 hours you’ll be fine on Podium MMX (if under the weight limit)/ Alpine/ Crest.

hh45
    Free Member

Ive had a pair since April 2010 and have rattled themn around Peaks, Dartmoor, Quantocks, Swiss Alps and Moab (FWIW) on a Soul and they are fine. Maybe some truing during servicing but never serious. I am light (67kg) but clumsy. I guess 1,000 miles pa, most off road.

Not race wheels but fine for ‘normal’ use.

scandal42
    Free Member

I run 2.4 tyres on crests and im quite a clumsy rider 🙂

Seem really nice to me, only ridden in the peaks once but it was on the good stuff and they are true as when they came out the box.

Kryton57

Ok thanks all. Seems like a pair of Crests on hope pro2 evo hubs would suit my purpose. NJEE as the weight officianado you’ve posted the same weight at the Stan’s weight calculator – was that a “real” weight or Stan’s weight?

Anyone else got a real life weight? Otherwise a set of those with J pull spokes will be on the way!

wookie
    Free Member

I run Crest’s on my 29 HT (Solaris) and have dinged the heck out of them in about 3 months. I originally wanted Arch Ex but couldn’t easily find them in the country and went for crest instead, wish id held out for the Arch Ex tbh.

Riding style though is everything and anything so not totally fair on the poor Crests.

I do have Flows on the 26 FS and they’ve been amazing with no dings so far.

DanW
    Free Member

My Pro II Evo/ CX-Ray/ Alpine/ Alu nips are 1475g. Add around 40g to that for Crests instead of Alpines. I’d have to check the difference brass nips make but I’d imagine it’s another 40g or so. DT Revs will be pretty much the same weight as CX-Rays but I’d imagine you’d be looking at DT Comp spokes which adds another 50g minimum although again maybe Njee can add more accurate numbers to this.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I’ve happily used Crests for a couple of years and they performed perfectly. Since I stuck them on my Pig and started dirt jumping and crashing them, they’ve got a bit wobbly. A trip to Antur Stiniog increased the wobbles to about half an inch of side to side movement, but being a lazy ar*e I’ve continued to ride them like this and all has been well.

Pretty impressive really for an xc rim.

br
    Free Member

I’ve two pair of Hope Hoops Pro 2 evo SP 26’s, weighed 1572g.

No issues and both run tubeless.

Kryton57

I’d call that weight confirmed then.

Merlin have Olympics for £309 – I guess that’s a step too far for occasional Afan use on the asr5?

DanW
    Free Member

Merlin have Olympics for £309 – I guess that’s a step too far for occasional Afan use on the asr5?

Not at all, Olympics will be more than fine unless you are constantly jumping off stuff (they are the old name for the Alpines, and are ~20g per rim lighter than Crests). They will be narrower (and taller) than Crests but that the only thing to watch out for. Podium MMX would be fine for Afan unless you are well over the weight limit!

Kryton57

Hmm, I’d prefer a wider rim as I run tubeless, would be happy for a 40g weight penalty for that and to be able to run 2.25’s on them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Crests – how much of a beating can they take?’ is closed to new replies.