• This topic has 21 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Crest 29er as a touring rim?
  • stanley

Reckon it would be strong enough for loaded up road touring?
    Probably with 32H on a Hope hub.

Seems to be much lighter than road rims.

Cheers

tk46hal
    Free Member

I don’t see why not!

orangeboy
    Free Member

Tyre pressure might be the only thing to check. Although you can run them with tubes you can’t pump them up hard.
    Be plenty strong enough though

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Why not save money and get the slightly heavier but stronger open pro in 36h?

druidh
    Free Member

Every time there’s a question on STW regarding rims for touring, it’s the same answer – Mavic Open Pros.

I can only conclude that there’s a very, very good reason for that.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Light rims for touring…WTF is the point?

stanley

TF point is that there is no point in having heavier wheels than you (I) need.
    Believe me, I have several sets of wheels in the garage- nothing makes a bike feel like a heavy sack of sh1te like overly heavy wheels do!

Crests can be run at any pressure if a tube is used- so no worries there.

I’ve got Open Pros on another bike- good rims BUT my thoughts are that Crests are 15-20% lighter, and give me the option of running much wider tyres if I ever want to.
    I’m slightly “29er curious”, so the wheels may be used to scratch that particular itch one day!

Anyone else? I know that 26er Crests are fine for most of my mountain biking, but the loads of touring are a bit different maybe.

druidh
    Free Member

You’ve asked the question.

You’ve got some answers.

Choose the one you wanted.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d go for stans alphas.

Seriously fair point if they are multi purpose.

EDIT…hang on…crests are 335-355gm?

stanley

Well druidh, I kind of hoped for more actual, real-life experiences.
    ie. somebody else may have used them for this purpose before. A super heavy person may have used them for similar.

I didn’t actually get an answer at all; although thanks to the folks who gave useful opinions.

druidh
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    I’d go for stans alphas.

Seriously fair point if they are multi purpose.

EDIT…hang on…crests are 335-355gm?380 according to this thread on weight-weenies. Open Pros are 435??

cynic-al
    Free Member

I thought 425 and went on the op’s 15-20%, 12% it seems.

OP it’s a really bizarre idea, that’s why no one had an answer.

I wouldn’t tour on open pros and I’m only 75kg.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I’ve got Open Pros on another bike- good rims BUT my thoughts are that Crests are 15-20% lighte

So you think you will notice 50g difference per wheel on a fully loaded tourer…?? 😆

takisawa2

Forgot Stans. TN719’s is where its at. 🙂
    Bit heavy, but I was 17st nearly (14.5 now) & they’ve been fine.

stanley

So you think you will notice 50g difference per wheel on a fully loaded tourer…??

I’ll notice it when it isn’t loaded. Although I’m not even considering open pros!

Agree with cynical-al, I’m 75kg too, and I wouldn’t tour on an open pro!
    It’s a racing/training rim. Out on a bike today with open pros, so have a clue about them. These (bought 2 years ago) were a bit over the claimed 435g iirc.

Maybe I didn’t say, I thought it was obvious, I’ll be using disc brakes- so don’t need a rim braking surface. Surely having a rim that doesn’t have a braking surface (and the associated crush resistance) could be a chunk lighter.
    I’m really not after building a weight-weenie bike, just don’t want to over build it. I’ve done that before and regretted it.

Thinking that the Crest has no rider weight limits, and me + my gear would still be less than a lot of mountain bikers that are bigger than me and have huge camelbaks all the time.

Think I’ll try it.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Mavic – eyelets. A719 rim around 550grams?
    stans – no eyelets.

mavic – maxtal.
    stans – cheese.

mavic – no issues whatsoever with spoke tension after high inflation.
    stans – trust me,it will NOT be the same as the 719 once inflated to the same pressure given same tensions before tyre inflation.

mavic – overall strength maxtaltastic.
    stans – probably fine enough all round bar the spoke hole area after many years of useage. I just can’t see you getting anywhere near the amount of trouble free use out of a stans over the mavic.

stanley

Thanks martinxyz, fair point. Although the Crest “can” take higher pressures, maybe it is pushing the design.

Not A719s though- don’t want (or need) the braking surface.

Maybe TN719s? Can’t help feeling that they are overkill though.

martinxyz
    Free Member

I see. I think it’s A719’s I have in the shed from a previous 29er wheelbuild but with the braking surface which doesn’t look the best.

mboy
    Free Member

TN719’s won’t be overkill, they’re only just over 500g (I was sad enough to weigh the ones I had before I built them, avg was 505g) which for a 29er MTB rim is perfectly acceptable. They’re eyeletted too, which the Stans aren’t.

Suppose it depends how much touring you’re wanting to do though… For touring I thought reliability was far more important than lightweight. I know from experience you can run the 719’s with silly high pressures, and being as they’re not as wide as the Stans, they’d be more suitable for touring tyres without giving them an overly wide profile.

martinxyz
    Free Member

I see. I think it’s A719’s I have in the shed from a previous 29er wheelbuild but with the braking surface which doesn’t look the best.

Even the alpha with its higher pressure capability will drop its (correct) tension compared to the mavic.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aren’t you meant to measure the tension with a tire fitted with alphas?

MSP

Every time there’s a question on STW regarding rims for touring, it’s the same answer – Mavic Open Pros.

I can only conclude that there’s a very, very good reason for that.

Yes its because people like to repeat what others have said before, without any actual knowledge.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Crest 29er as a touring rim?’ is closed to new replies.