Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • CremeEggGate
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

Too sweet and sickly? Absolutely, that is sort of the point. The chocolate snobs will slate it and remind us it’s nor real chocolate, and they’re right, but Cadburys Chocolate is delicious all the same. I like real chocolate, but a Cream Egg not made with Cadburys Chocolate is a National Outrage I tell you!

I don’t often fancy a sweet chocolaty snack, but when I do it has to be Cadburys. I would never reach for a Flavourless, textureless Nestle Chocolate.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Has anyone here actually tried the new eggs ?

neilthewheel

Sadly, like many products that have become the standard in the uk (step forward Robertson’s jams) Cadbury’s chocolate already contains the minimum amount of the actual product they can legally get away with and the maximum amount of sugar (or glucose fructose syrup in the case of jam). If the legal minimum was reduced, they’d put less in.

mogrim

Too sweet and sickly? Absolutely, that is sort of the point. The chocolate snobs will slate it and remind us it’s nor real chocolate…

Quite. Complaining that Creme Eggs are sweet and sickly is a bit like complaining that rain is wet.

molgrips
    Free Member

Dairy Milk contains less cocoa and more milk than fancy chocolate, and so what? If I want something milky I’ll buy it – if not, I won’t.

You can like Dairy Milk, you can like 99.99% dark chocolate if you like, whatever – enjoy yourself. But snobs can all **** off and lock themselves into a small box. You’re not better than anyone else.

Dairy milk is chocolate with milk. End of.

Sadly, like many products that have become the standard in the uk

Our supermarkets are full of a wider range of good quality options than they ever have been. Things are far better than they were when I was a kid. So stop whinging. Life will improve!

convert

Creme eggs are one of those things that I’m really glad exist even if I hardly ever partake.

Did they get smaller a few years ago – the ‘in yer gob in one’ challenge isn’t really a challenge anymore.

Nice, proper chocolate is all very well and good but sometimes a bar of CDM is the only thing that’ll do.

DezB
    Free Member

Ok, so the story comes from Adam Gabbatt in New York and the UK Creme Eggs are the same as they’ve always been. Americans seem to love vile, fake chocolate, so where’s the issue?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I heard this story on R4 last night, so it must be true.

UK eggs are only 14% cocoa chocolate and is a generic Kraft cocoa mix, rather than the traditional Dairy Milk chocolate at 20% solids.

Its not a Cadbury Crème Egg, its a Kraft Kreme Egg.

P-Jay
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member

I’m on a diet but my Wife and Son have, they had no complaints and hadn’t noticed until I mentioned it had been on the news.

Honestly though I’m surprised Kraft waited this long to start changing stuff – yes blah blah blah “not real chocolate” but who cares about Coca solids and whatever it’s the stuff that’s been the mainstay of British cheap indulgence for decades and it’s far better than the stuff they have in the US – have you tried some of that Reese’s stuff you can get in Supermarkets now some of it is labelled as “chocolate flavoured coating” the shit doesn’t even melt.

You don’t need to be a Mathmagician to work out Kraft paid too much for Cadbury to make a return on it sticking to their existing business model – they either had to sell a lot more, or cut costs.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Have a look at Cadbury’s Twitter if you want a proper laugh about this. Clearly a lot of people very unhappy about this. Anyway isn’t most milk chocolate just sugar and vegetable fat with a minuscule amount cocoa?

kelvin

Don’t want to overreact but why didn’t they just shoot Santa and cancel Christmas?

They did this when they cancelled all the Christmas chocolate gifts that were given to pensioners who used to work at Cadbury. If people mean so little to you when you take a company over, then expect your loyal customers to give up on you and buy elsewhere as well.

kelvin

it’s far better than the stuff they have in the US

For now…

Houns

Ah yes my apologies. It’s fruit and nut that’s swapped hazelnuts for Devils testicles that are almonds (some years ago, before Kraft were involved)

Barrrrrfff

Yak

Anyway isn’t most milk chocolate just sugar and vegetable fat with a minuscule amount cocoa?

This is the thing – it’s all pretty duff, and its just got worse. Imo, the cheap continental bars from lidl/aldi etc are much nicer at 30-35% cocoa.

I suppose it depends on whether you are eating chocolate products for the pleasure of a fat/sugar combo melting in your mouth or whether you are looking for the taste and hit of cocoa. There is nothing wrong with the first, but imo, milk chocolate should give both.

cookeaa

Is This really deserving of all the indignant rage?

I mean it’s mass produced chocolate shell stuffed with coloured Icing sugar, we’re told the UK is undergoing an obesity crisis currently, whoever makes it, whatever variation to the “Traditional” recipe they make, scoffing a creme egg is not actually going to do you any good…

And it’s not exactly meant for the gourmet chocolate fan is it? I mean it’s was taste tested on representatives of the great unwashed and found to be adequate, if nobody had pointed out the recipe change, would people really notice or care?

If the quality of your chocolate actually matters to you there are all sorts of purveyors of high quality, fairtrade stuff, and it doesn’t have to cost that much more really, nobody is being forced to buy Cadbury’s / Kraft products, or for that matter chocolate at all…

kayla1
    Free Member

I’m sure double deckers used to have raisins and bits of biscuit in too, back in the day, now it’s just bloody rice crispies 🙁

+1 on Lidl and Aldi’s chocolate being jolly nice 😀

thestabiliser
    Free Member

‘Is This really deserving of all the indignant rage?’

Yes.

They’ve stolen my childhood and scattered its smashed remnants in the filth.

dragon
    Free Member

I’d rather they had some balls and put the price up, rather than this slow drip, drip of ever reducing quality. Cadbury’s is just sh*t now.

damitamit
    Free Member

Just had one! Tastes totally different *spits*

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The higher cocoa content continental chocolate is more bitter and has a firmer almost crunchy texture. Who the hell wants that in an indulgent snack? It’s like posh restaraunt food, it’s ok once on a while but mostly I prefer decent hearty pub grub and plenty of it.

Anyway the argument as to what constitutes proper chocolate is not centered around the cocoa content. That varies in proper chocolate too. It’s the use of vegetable oil rather that cocoa butter that is used in the proper chocolate.

I’ve not tried a Kraft Cream Egg and I wont. They are dead to me now until they bring back the proper cadburys chocolate shell.

rOcKeTdOg

I’ve boycotted cadbury’s since Kraft took over, everyone said it was daft, I now rest my case!

Klunk
    Free Member

we stopped buying Cadburys when kraft took over, no intention of ever buying from them again.

AndyRT
    Free Member

Well, that’s very helpful of Kraft to keep me away from the chocolate tempting shelves of doom in any given petrol station.

I appreciate their dedication to stopping me crave an egg or two before Easter.

I shall now just hope that Hotel chocolat or William Curley ( look him up if you really lurve chocolate) produce a replacement that fills this huuuuuuge gap in the market!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member

Yes, I had some delivered at the beginning of December which was a big surprise in itself. I scoffed one a few weeks ago and it tasted like a sticky, sickly sweet creme egg, just as you would expect. I wouldn’t have been any the wiser

Scamper
    Free Member

I supported the Kraft takeover as I hoped they may put some pubs in the area and `allow’ Tesco to start selling booze 🙂

D0NK

Dairy milk is chocolate with milk. End of.

I’m not sure it’s just snobbery tho is it? Falsely naming something (eg meat and potato pie) can get you into trouble. Has a cocoa limit actually been set where chocolate becomes “solidified milk, sugar and cocoa mass”.

google says dairy milk is 26% cocoa mass so presumably if there is a limit it’s 26%

thestabiliser
    Free Member

20% for ‘milk chocolate’ in the UK or ‘family milk chocolate’ in Euro
    25% for ‘milk chocolate’ Euro wide

Chocolate sauce:
    http://www.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/multimedia/pdfs/chocguidancejun2009.pdf

hilldodger
    Free Member

The sort of people who would ingest these abominations really don’t care much, as long as it’s got a high sugar content and some goo that can dribble down their chins they’ll suck’em down like gooduns

andyfla
    Free Member

Just for the sake of impartiality I have bought one of the new eggs and I have 2 observations:

Firstly, in the eating I couldn’t detect the difference
    Secondly, the aftertaste I now have is a rather bitter slightly acidic one – very odd – the same as you get from cheap chocolate flavouring

So in all I have to say whilst the taste is the same the lingering effect is not a hugely pleasent one, and that is coming from a man who’s desert island island treat would have been a cold twisted bar.

jam-bo

I very nearly bought a creme egg last night while in the shop.

then I realised I didn’t like them before so am unlikely to like them now and I’d just been nearly suckered into buying one by a very clever viral marketing campaign.

I blame the lizard illuminata.

franksinatra

When I was a child back in the day my Mum worked for Coca-Cola Schweppes. Schweppes, in turn owned Cadbury. In those days about one in every three creme eggs would fail quality control as the machines would not fold the foil wrapper around the egg properly. Some of these failed eggs would end up in the staff shop and would be sold by the carrier bag for 50p a bag.

Yep, 50p for a whole carrier bag of eggs.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Dairy Milk contains less cocoa and more milk than fancy chocolate, and so what? If I want something milky I’ll buy it – if not, I won’t.

You can like Dairy Milk, you can like 99.99% dark chocolate if you like, whatever – enjoy yourself. But snobs can all **** off and lock themselves into a small box. You’re not better than anyone else.
    Have a turkey twizzler and calm down will you.

In all honesty I dont think its snobbery to want your food to taste like the thing it is named after rather than just contain the thing its named after.

YMMV

molgrips
    Free Member

In all honesty I dont think its snobbery to want your food to taste like the thing it is named after

No, that’s not snobbery. Snobbery is wanting someone else’s food to taste the way you want.

Dairy milk tastes like milky chocolate. Because that’s what it is. Just because it doesn’t have the right ratios for your precious pallette doesn’t make a difference. If they were passing it off as gourmet chocolate you might have a point, but they aren’t.

hora
    Free Member

So they’ve changed the recipe? Why? That doesn’t make sense?

mogrim

So they’ve changed the recipe? Why? That doesn’t make sense?

Cheaper to produce at a guess.

zilog6128

If I understand it they’ve decreased the quantity of the most expensive – arguably the key – ingredient down to the bare minimum allowed by law. Which is understandable, I suppose, from a business point of view.

What really doesn’t make sense is why people still buy this crap!

skiprat
    Free Member

Me and the mrs went on holiday to Egypt end of last year. In a supermarket we saw loads of Cadburys chocolate bars, all in english and costing about £0.30 a bar. Big bars of fruit and nut for £0.50.

We got a couple of bars and had a bit each, it tasted funny so we checked the date thinking it would be 20 years old. All well in date but then we spotted the Kraft sign. Tried the other bar and then binned them both. Tasted like old chocolate that had turned white.

Think they may regret the use of Kraft when sales are hit.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

What really doesn’t make sense is why people still buy this crap!

well a clue might be that this

Dairy milk tastes like milky chocolate. Because that’s what it is. Just because it doesn’t have the right ratios for your precious pallette doesn’t make a difference

was brought to you by the same discerning palate that brought you

– Being prepared to pay for airport food is a great way to kill time and enjoy it. I actually look forward to it at some terminals.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If people like the taste of dairy milk then they will buy it – if Kraft change the taste and people don’t like it, then they wont buy it anymore.

It doesn’t matter if it is not ‘proper’ chocolate – and anybody that thinks that it does is being dense…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have just bought a creme egg to try – with a standby Twirl to mask the taste if it is bad…

edit – yes, it isn’t great – so at least that has put a stop to any ideas of pigging out on creme egg offers.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘CremeEggGate’ is closed to new replies.