Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Creeping seatpost
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

It's the right size and so is the Hope QR but no matter how tight I do the thing up it creeps down and inch or so over a ride. Ideas on how to stop it would be welcome, can't shim it as there is no room. Need a QR as I often pop the seat off for transporting the bike.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Carbon assembly paste.

slowjo
    Free Member

I had one of these… a Thomson that slipped down whichever frame I put it in. I successfully sorted in in a two stage process.

Stage 1 : I bought some of that carbon "grease" that folk with expensive frames and seat posts use so the two carbon faces get some friction. This slowed the process down quite a bit but not entirely.

Stage 2 : I got a different frame and now it is as solid as a rock.

(The new frame was incidental BTW. I had fitted the post to 5 different frames before the last one. I was at the stage of chucking the damn thing away if it has continued slipping!)

lrd
    Free Member

I don't really like the Hope QR, prefer Salsa's which has fixed a slipping post for me before.

miketually
    Free Member

Are you a regular seatopst dropper? If so, you could have worn the inside of the seattube slightly.

Or, you could have 'overlapping' manufacturing tolerances, so you've a slightly oversize seattube and a slightly undersize seatpost.

Is it a 27.2 post? Ragley are making some 27.3 posts for just such a problem.

tron
    Free Member

I've found a difference between different QRs. The identiti (or one of the many ones with someone else's name on) ones work for me.

neninja
    Free Member

I had the same problem with a Thomson post and a Hope QR.

I went back to the original Giant QR and problem solved.

It sounds like Hope QR's can be a bit prone to this.

tang
    Free Member

thomson, salsa, cotic soul = slip from time to time here. might try the carbon paste or do a thin shim if i get round to it.

Ti29er
    Free Member

I too have had a few problems with the Hope QR collar.
    The best one has been the Pace but it was not QR so a bit of a pain at times.

I think the squeeking annoys others and not me, the slippage is a problem.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Do you adjust your position regularly? If not, hows about a water soluable bonding solution?

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i had this with different QRs too. Got some carbon assembly paste on the seatpost, and also put a little bit between the outside of the frame and the clamp itself. This has worked nicely and requires lots less force to close.

Also make sure the cam etc are nice and clean – maybe a spot of grease or coppaslip on them.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

My QR has a curved plastic washer under the QR arm, and this has cracked. The result is that the post has now started slipping. I'm in the market for a new QR, people seem to get on with the Salsa one, so it might be worth checking that the QR itself hasn't failed.

slowjo
    Free Member

FWIW my Salsa one made not a jot of difference.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Sometimes the tension is actually slacker when the QR is fully whacked up – i.e you have gone beyond the high point on the cam. Try backing off a little from fully locked and see if that works.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Thanks guys will have a play about. Ta. Think the carbon stuff sounds like a plan as the thing is on so tight I can barely get it done up even with a bit of grease on the cam.

clubber
    Free Member

I've had exactly the same problem with Hope seat clamps on various combinations of seatpost/frame. I think it's because of the smaller M4 bolt that Hope use compared to some which use an M5 which you can do up tighter. Hope + oversized frame or undersized post = slippage.

Fixed it on my current full susser by swapping the Hope for an M5 bolt one. FWIW, bolted ones tend to do up tighter than QR.

spanners
    Free Member

Carbon grease / paste works on my Orange 5 post.

SiB
    Free Member

+1 for carbon grease.

clean the QR.

kevonakona
    Free Member

Erm

sellotape, round the seat post, non slip surface, easily replaced , cheap but to be fair not as cool as non-slip carbon friction paste.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I don't really like the Hope QR, prefer Salsa's which has fixed a slipping post for me before.

+1

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Creeping seatpost’ is closed to new replies.