Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 123 total)
  • cree light at aldi
  • mechmonkey
    Free Member

So I went with one of the Cree lights from ebay, 2 for a tenner. It arrived today and impressed with the quality etcetcetc blah blah

Now I want to run it with the 18650, rather than just aaa’s, but it doesnt fit….should I bodge it to work?? or will it then explode and cause death?
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Convert-a-3xAAA-flashlight-to-a-Lithium-18650-cell/#intro

stonster
    Free Member

Bit of an odd question, but why bother?

Max mAh for 3 x AAA is 3 x 1100 mAh = 3300 mAh. For an 18650 battery it’s between 2400 – 3000 mAh, usually. AAA rechargeable are nominally 1.2v and an 18650 is nominally 3.7v.

So it seems like energy stored and voltage would be about the same?

I may be missing something, but would you see any real benefit? Perhaps someone may be able to explain this to me!

yetidave
    Free Member

you can’t add up batteries mAh when in series can you?, surely, 3no 1.2V 1100mAh batteries in series will give 3.6v 1100mAh total?

mechmonkey
    Free Member

Bit of an odd question, but why bother?

I have 18650 battery and charger and dont have any rechargeable AAAs so just a matter of pennies really.

spooky_b329

Just received my torches from ebay. My batteries are stuck at the sorting office til tomorrow.

The torch has a AAA battery carrier inside it which is about 10mm longer than the AAA batteries, so hopefully it is acting as a reducer so an 18650 battery will replace the carrier.

I just tried it out with three fully charged but old Nihm batteries…best torch I’ve ever had. Shone it 12 metres down the garden and on the spot setting the lens is so clear it projects an enlarged image of the LED diode about a foot square on the fence. Shone it into the trees 25 metres away and its clear as day. Slide the bezel in and it opens into a nice wide even beam that will be great for general mooching about in the dark or searching for stuff in the loft.

And people are suggesting it could be even brighter with the 18650 battery compared to the rechargeable AAA’s?!

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Energy storage is measured in Watt-hours. Watts are volt x amps.

3x AAA Ni-MH would typically be 3 x 1.2v x 1Ah = 3.6Wh
    A single 18650 might be 3Ah x 3.7v = 11.1Wh

So, the 18650 typically has around three times the energy storage of 3x AAA Ni-MH.

stonster
    Free Member

@DoctorRad

Ahah. Clever. Good luck then mechmonkey. Perhaps one of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Extension-Ring-Tube-for-18650-Battery-/271100273631?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_Bike_Lights&hash=item3f1ed5e3df

Although TBH if you’ve spent £10 on a torch it seems daft to spend another £5 just to use another battery…

chief31
    Free Member

For a cheap light this torch has got an awesome beam.
    The back of my garden is approx 80 feet from my front door and it lights up my
    Permanent gazebo superbly.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

stonser – I’d have a stab at the sciency bit – but given that noone on here is selling you X or Y then maybe listen to a summary. I only ride a bike here and there really, but enough to have a discussion with others. So:

3xAAA rechargable are good.
    3xAAA disposable are really good.
    1×18650 is really really good.
    2x 18650 or 2x2x1850 is insanely good.

And my definition of good is simply bright x duratoin.

Going back to my original point – an Aldi torch is probably a good bit of kit. For £12 you have other choices.

#Edit – that’s open to anyone else to discuss / disagree. There are undoubtably better deals out there.

mattsccm
    Free Member

So does a 18650 fit and work then? I would think it would rattle about but know now’t about 18650’s

DoctorRad
    Free Member

I did a test last night. These lights: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130804284439

I compared freshly charged 850mAh AAA Ni-MH with the supplied alkaline AAAs. The NiMH cells were about 10-20% brighter on high beam. This is likely because of their lower internal resistance resulting in less voltage drop under load than the alkalines. ‘Branded’ alkalines such as Duracell might be better.

You need an extension tube to fit an 18650, the same eBay supplier as the lights above stocks them.

SOAP
    Free Member

So can I use Duracell AA 2450mah batteries with an extension ring in my 18650 torch?
    Rather than burning the house down with the Ultafires.
    If so what difference can I expect

stayhigh

So to save me trawling all over the forum whats the best 18650 alternative to this Aldi torch or is the above linked twin ebay set the best it gets?

spooky_b329

Well the 18650 battery fits the torch fine. Its narrower than the barrel but when the end cap is screwed on it doesn’t seem to wobble, wouldn’t be hard to stick a little foam in there as padding if using it on the bike.

I have now put the batteries on charge, and will be checking them every few minutes to check they don’t live up to the ‘fire’ in their name. They do say protected on the auction and the batteries, but hey, this is ebay so who knows!

eddie11
    Free Member

spooky, which ones are these then that fit the 18650, got a link?

spooky_b329

These:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lot-2-CREE-Q5-LED-300-Lumen-Lamp-3-Mode-Flashlight-Torch-Zoomable-By-AAA-18650/261121626503?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=016&category=117110&cmd=ViewItem

I paid £9.99, he then ramped the price up to £13.99 seconds later, its now at £23.99 but there is still the ‘make an offer’ box so I might still be worth a punt. Not at the full price though, obviously!

LoveTubs
    Free Member

FWIW i purchase two lamps for my lads bikes – very similar cree job and they are great for the money.

I run senybor rechargeables, the single (blue) 18650; we’er in out 3rd season and still going strong, no probs at all. I always recharge immediately post ride, never leave them half used/charged. That goes for all batteries tbh, esp Li-ion.

🙂

jimmy

In case anyone’s interested:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-18650-battery-3

Also, I tried the inner tube helmet mount without success so here’s my new and improved version.

You need a 7-8″ strip of MTB inner tube and another 2″ strip.

Cut a section out of the the long strip so that there are two rings on either end joined by a single-ply sheath.

Put the short piece over the handle of the torch for helmet protection and mounting stability, and loop one of the rings over the head of the torch.

Push the other ringed end of the strip down through a vent and up through the one behind…

then loop the ring over the head again. It locks the beam focus on the widest setting but its probably best like that anyway.

Ain’t going nowhere.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Jimmy.

That’s genius.

Can I nick this?

stu1972
    Free Member

@DoctorRad

Yes Xtar’s are fine as are Callies Kustoms, genuine Sanyo / Samsung or unprotected Panasonic NCR18650B’s (which the majority are based off)

I use AW 2900’s & 3100’s and Eagletac 3400’s and have never had any bother with them.

I charge them to 3.75v – 3.8v (40% charge) and bung them in the fridge when not in use ( I have loads of them )
    My AW’s are quite old now and are still going strong.

jimmy

Thanks, I’m happy with it!

Nick it? Its on a public forum, go for it. Unless you’re going to make millions then i want a slice…!

stu1972
    Free Member

@LoveTubs

Wrong thing to do with 18650’s. you need them stored with 40% charge not 100%

Charge fully before use then re-store at 40%

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

codybrennan
    Free Member

You’re a pal.

I bought 2 of these the other day and struggled to fit one on my helmet last night.

Been thinking all day about how to do it, and then this pops up.

TPOSTW!

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Like the idea of a light with a health warning.

Any ideas on how to waterproof, Vaseline used to b used on seals.

Looks like the ring on the front holding the lens in needs locking, locite?

rocky-mountain
    Free Member
    rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Any thoughts?

ahwiles
    Free Member

…900 lumens (from) 3 aaa batteries…..

Any thoughts?

900 lumens my arse.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

It will be bright though.
    My issue is with lenses; having gone through smarts, cat eyes and now magic shine for mainly commuting on old railway tracks, I want a focused beam. The magicshines pee light out everywhere, I cannot afford the high end stuff.

So, power is good, but if the lens/reflector is good like a pretzel head torch then it’s all good.
    Any links to custom reflector/lens stuff?

abductee
    Free Member

How’s about this one!

That would be my choice.

Battery wise I would say its better than the 18650. Its got an XML T6 so brightness wise it should be OK and the bonus is that the 900 lumen output has a lower lie-factor than other single XML lights rated at 1800+ lumens.

I’ve not had a convex lens zoom torch so I can’t compare with a reflector but I would be interested in the comparison if anyonone’s had both.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

For anyone interested I found an extension end cap that will allow the aldi torch to use a 18650 battery.

Here…

DoctorRad
    Free Member

For anyone interested I found an extension end cap that will allow the aldi torch to use a 18650 battery

Or also available from my link above without dodgy 18650 battery and charger…

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I got an extension ring for the Aldi light and rand the torch with a 18650 battery in. It managed 3hrs before fading and was still going after 3 and half hours. Not bad and perfect for a commute.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I managed 2 hrs with the supplied batteries and they are still going strong.

johnnystorm

#Edit – I forgot to say: I didnt buy the Aldi one. 3xAAAs either wont be as bright or last as long as an 18650. I’ve got a few over the years: this is the most recent incl 2 batts and charger and adapter (that runs cool) all for £11-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290778308356?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Based on the recommendation by couldashouldawoulda (cheers!) above I ordered one of the torches linked to above and it’s just arrived. I’m charging the batteries now and have only had out of the packet for 5 mins but a quick check it worked and I reckon I’ve got my £11 worth.

SOAP
    Free Member

Ive had the above torch for a good few mounths now and was wondering if there is a wide lense for the torch ?

verses

I ordered a couldashouldawoulda’s recommended torch on the 23rd of November – it’s just arrived today! Coincidentally today is the day the seller has refunded my money for non-delivery…

However one of the batteries looks a little unhealthy to say the least!

On the plus side, the batteries that have been supplied are 4200mAh rather than 2400mAh.

lightman
    Free Member

On the plus side, the batteries that have been supplied are 4200mAh rather than 2400mAh.

Not sure if you’re being serious or not!

If not, there is no such thing as a 4200mAh 18650, if that picture is the battery which has 4200 on it, then you’ll be lucky if it has 500mAh in it, but I would recommend just throwing that thing away and buying decent battery’s.

verses

I was being serious when I wrote it, but a bit of Googling in the meantime has shown that 3400mAh seems but be about tops and that’s only on (what appear to be) quality batteries.

Think I’ll grab a pair of Xtar 2600mAhs, unless anyone can recommend something else?

On another note, the bundled charger has 2 flat (US/Japanese-style) prongs on it and a UK adaptor. Does it matter which way around the prongs go into the adaptor – one live and one neutral etc?

lightman
    Free Member

If you’re using the light as your only light, then protected battery’s are not the way to go as they will just shut the light off without warning.
    Better to get non-protected and understand when to change the battery yourself, usually its around 60 mins with an XM-L light on high.

The chargers will/should work any way around.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘cree light at aldi’ is closed to new replies.