Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Credit cards – which UK ones are not connected to Mastercard or Visa?
  • Midnighthour
    Free Member

Credit cards – which UK ones are not connected to Mastercard or Visa?

allthepies
    Free Member

Amex.

jon1973
    Free Member

yep. Amex is about it and a lot of places don’t like them cos they take about 5% commission from the vendor.

LHS
    Free Member

Discover

xiphon
    Free Member

You boycotting them, due to the companies pulling the plug on WikiLeaks payments?

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Considering my options.
    I might also get a better deal by changing anyway.

cp

gf had an amex card for a while – ball ache as many places refused to accept it, or cost more to use it.

LHS
    Free Member

Amex is great for international travel, only seems to be the UK where people are fussy on accepting it.

Always carry two. VISA and Amex. You always know you are covered.

br
    Free Member

Always carry two. VISA and Amex. You always know you are covered.

A bit like a colleague who couldn’t pay the hotel bill as there was a (known) problem in France with VISA cards – and her personal card was also VISA…

Luckily I am a bit more travel-savvy, and ensure I have one of each – although I did let the commotion go on for a while, as she was definately in the right :wink:, always…

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

br, what problems with Visa in France? Used a Visa CC & debit over there without any problems, rarely needed to provide ID either – bit more of a ballache in spain, where they seem to need ID for everything, but oddly are prepared to take my travel pass as sufficient!

stevomcd
    Free Member

Visa is way better than Mastercard in France. Mastercard, and especially Maestro, is a major ball-ache.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I dont think I realised prior to this that most credit seems to be tied up in the control of only 2 companies.

I had assumed as there were so many credit card adverts that there were more than 2 actual ‘vendors’.

Stoner
    Free Member

midnight – there’s two clearers, that charge by transaction. They dont issue the credit though, thats why there’s “so many” out there. Amex is a clearer and credit Issuer I think

-m-
    Free Member

Amex is great for international travel, only seems to be the UK where people are fussy on accepting it.

I tend to find that AmEx is less accepted than Visa/MC in most parts of the world – there are plenty of large hotels, travel agents and airline ticket desks that won’t accept it. Still, only AmEx do a card made from titanium (not that I have one!)…

Good advice to generally carry more than one type of card though.

Has nobody has mentioned Diners Club yet? Even more hopeless than AmEx…

chiefgrooveguru

Amex do rather good cashback – 5% for the first three months, then 1.5%, on the Platinum Credit Card. However you still need another card as many independent/online shops don’t take it.

toby1

Hah, why has no one mentioned Diners club or JCB – oh yeah because they don’t really exist over here much any longer.

Visa or MasterCard are you main options in the UK – for any card.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Credit cards – which UK ones are not connected to Mastercard or Visa?’ is closed to new replies.