Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • Credit cards
  • weeksy

I use mine for car things, meals I can’t afford to take the wife out for and splashing out at Xmas.

It gets paid off, eventually, sometimes with a lower rate bank loan.

I’m the anti stwer in this thread I guess, but FFS some of you lot do make me wanna puke with your superiority

sarawak
    Free Member

I do most of my spending on a credit card.

I also pay it off monthly.

It’s good to have history.

It costs me nothing to have it.

Same here. Worked in a bank when they first came out and got one right away. Always pay it off in full every month, and if I won’t be able to I don’t spend. In all that time I’ve only ever paid interest once – when we had skinted ourselves in a house move and there just wasn’t any money left. Paid something like £7 in interest; that was 30 years ago and it still pains me!

LMT
    Free Member

Used wrong and they become a weight round your neck, I hate the fact I have mine, had to use it to help with things we needed when we got the house.

It’s on interest free for 3 years, I didn’t pay much attention to paying it off, now have 12 months to clear it, it’s got to go and never used again!

I think it’s right if i can’t afford it I can’t have it. The problem is sometimes you think what did I spend it on?? I have no idea sometimes, it was cut up 12 months ago and I plan to have it gone by the summer, then just try to live life within my means…difficult when the house needs many repairs but if it’s beans on toast and I still get to go biking then bonus!

fishwife
    Free Member

he he..funny STW endless virtue signalling….

“i pay mine off every month…..” aka i have enough money

i dont….ha ha 20k spread over 3 flipped now and then to interest free… goes up a bit each year…helps me live beyond my means

i sleep fine

somafunk

Never had one as i’ve never considered my pitiful earnings enough to justify the potential fallbacks of over extending my budget, a simple bank card (visa debit) does me fine and at 47 i doubt i need one now

ta11pau1

Like the sensible people here I have one that I use for spending (fuel, general shopping, bike bits etc) and it gets paid off in full every month.

A year or so ago I had a terrible credit rating due to various reasons, once all the crap had cleared off my credit reports I got a £200 limit credit builder card and used that every month and paid it off in full. Still have that same card only it’s got a £700 limit now and my credit rating is now very good.

Having a good credit rating is never a bad thing even if you never plan on using it, but even then broadband/phone, utility providers, car insurance etc all do credit checks.

Tip for those trying to improve their credit rating is not to use over 50% of the limit on a credit card as this seen as a negative.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

It’s not I couldn’t live without one, more I wouldn’t want to.

For me, they only offer benefits – it’s gets paid back in full every month plus I get points when I spend.

I used to use the debit card for contactless. but the CC is now contactless so everything goes through that.

weeksy

I think it’s right if i can’t afford it I can’t have it.

So in this idyllic world, your car throws a turbo, taking out a valve. The bill is £1400. What exactly do STWers do? Or do you all have a spare couple of grand for this?

How about a boiler that dies and is £3500?

njee20
    Free Member

In the fortunate position that I do have cash savings to cover that. Well aware that’s a very lucky position to be in though, and it’s the first time in my life this has been the case, so certainly no judgement from me. I agree the high and mighty crowd are a bit odd.

weeksy

Are they actually the majority in the world though? Or am I just a complete failure?

njee20
    Free Member

Neither. A small minority of people have savings equivalent to more than about 2 months net salary. If I’m being a bit of a dick then I’d say someone living in social housing is probably not sitting on a huge cash pile, and if they are they should get out of the social housing so someone who needs it can move in!

People on here are going to be above average earners, so it’s going to be skewed, and definitely above average for judgemental sanctimony.

sirromj

I got an interest free for two years card, in order to buy a 2nd hand bike and wheelset with it. It’s my first in nearly 20 years. Also been using it this month on lots of small things to avoid overdraft after Christmas spending. That wasn’t really how I planned to use it, but no problem yet!

scotroutes

judgemental sanctimony

??

Someone asked a question.
    They got lots of answers.
    Some folk don’t like some of the answers.

Having long term debt on a credit card means you won’t be able to pay for that “emergency” engine repair or new boiler, whereas paying it off gives you a buffer for such contingencies.

njee20
    Free Member

There’s a very definite undertone in some (not all) posts though.

I’m sure many people would sooner pay off debt (not all), but having debt isn’t inherently an indicator that you’ve failed.

rene59
    Free Member

What exactly do STWers do?

Preventative maintenance helps.

Or do you all have a spare couple of grand for this?

I do, yes. Ok I have a company car but there is nothing that expensive in my flat I couldn’t just get fixed or replaced if needed to at any time.

charlielightamatch
    Free Member

Or do you all have a spare couple of grand for this?

I don’t earn much but I do, yes.

It’s a sad state of affairs that people who are sensible are branded sanctimonious or “virtue signallers”. But then that’s how the CC companies and other lenders like it, isn’t it? People being sensible doesn’t line their pockets.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

We’ve got 7 or 8 between the 2 of us, though that’s increased recently as I have a couple of Amex cards as the benefits are way better than Visa/Mcard, but then need to have a MasterCard equivalent to hand for places that don’t take Amex. All our spending goes on them, and we regularly refer each other for cards then close our own, to take advantage of referral bonuses and new card bonuses. It is a bit of a hassle and takes discipline but when the benefits in vouchers/points/cashback are in the hundreds of pounds worth every year it’s worth it. Paid off in full each month and not missed a payment for over 15 years.

Also bought our last car on one at interest free, which is currently half way to being paid off. I have enough in savings to clear it now but why bother when that money is gaining me interest somewhere else and the cc costing nothing.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Got one, pay it off monthly. Always use it for purchases like flights, hotels. Had a flight to Bulgeria but the airline (Wizz Air) kept changing the times so I canceled. They refused to give me a refund even though the email said I’d get one. Claimed a full refund through visa, money credited to me in about 10 days. All I had do with send them a copy of my receipts.

Credit cards like alcohol. Used sensibly and they are fine. Wouldn’t book anything except by CC.

johndoh
    Free Member

As many others here I have one that we use and pay off in full every month – and get lots of rewards into the bargain. However after Christmas (and a couple of clients not paying large bills as expected) I couldn’t pay it off for the first time ever – £60 in interest for a £2k bill :-O no wonder people get into spirals of debt. Still, I’m fortunate in that mine is paid off now.

Lester
    Free Member

I have credit cards and pay them off in full every month

I have one credit card in my sons name which I use and pay off every month, this helps his credit rating

I sometimes use it when I get a good deal, I bought a bike at a really good discount which meant I had that bike that bike immediately, I paid it off over a year, which was a struggle, but I had a nice bike/and an asset I may not have saved up for but had to because it was on credit.

I guess its all about discipline and being sensible

anagallis_arvensis

So in this idyllic world, your car throws a turbo, taking out a valve. The bill is £1400. What exactly do STWers do? Or do you all have a spare couple of grand for this?

How about a boiler that dies and is £3500?

Pay it with a credit card, pay it off with savings. Would be screwed if the boiler blew up 2 months in a row mind. TBH if it was the boiler I’d put it on a 0% card and pay off slowly and keep my savings intact.

mattbee

We were in the ‘pay it off each month’ camp until last year when our rental flat tenant stopped paying rent.
    8 months later with no rent, court/legal fees for the eviction and a complete redecoration we have found the credit card very useful to keep us from going begging to the parents.
    It’s amazing how quickly 2 months of wages (which I had saved) can disappear and whatblooked like minimal outgoings can suddenly seem a bit more onerous when you lose 25% of your income.
    In this instance credit has been helpful to allow us to afford to pay for legal stuff and decorating, but I’d be properly worried if we needed to use it for food etc… and although we aren’t paying off in full every month we are paying a lot more than the minimum.
    Mixed message I suppose but yeah, I think credit cards have a very useful place but I agree with the alcohol analogy used above.
    I don’t think most are being sanctimonious but it does come across that way sometimes. By the same token the other side can appear belligerent but I’m sure they aren’t…

scruff9252

In my 20’s I had credit card debt, not as much as some, but at around 2momths wages equivalent enough to cause poor sleep.

Now fully paid off and I still have the account with my bank, but card cut up and disposed off. If a suprise £3k bill came in I could get a new card sent out with a delay of a few days for payment if need be.

However once the CC debt was paid off aggressively I continued to pay myself that same amount of money into my investment savings account. It is amazing how much quicker your savings grow when they receive 7% interest compared to paying off a 4 figure sum plus 17% interest.

kayla1
    Free Member

I don’t think most are being sanctimonious but it does come across that way sometimes. By the same token the other side can appear belligerent but I’m sure they aren’t…

I wonder if you could split the ‘sides’ 52/48… 😆

benp1

Debit card only here, carry two cards in my wallet – debit card and driving licence

Have amex, barclaycard and halifax clarity card but don’t use them. Use the latter when I’m abroad only

breadcrumb

I have one that I pay off each month. Earns a few points and had the protection.

I went daft with CCs and loans in my youth so have learnt the hard way.

tnrbilly
    Free Member

Had a zero credit card balance until my daughter was a few months old and we wanted to buy a video camera so we would have some film of her crawling, walking and starting to talk etc spent about £150 on the card…..20 years later I have managed to finally clear my credit card off!!
    Money was tight with a new-born, so the monthly repayments inevitably left us slightly short before payday and as soon as something unexpected happened i.e. washing machine packed up, car needed new tyres it had to go on the credit card.
    The balance fluctuated over the years from a several hundred to a few grand but never got out of control or more than could be afforded, but it was just impossible to get it paid off completely.
    I can see how people do manage to get themselves into huge levels of debit with them. I’ve switched a few times over the years when 0% deals have come up so usually had more than one card at once (usually only 1 had the balance on it) but have often had £20-30k worth of credit available to me at any point if I wanted to spend it. The temptation has been there at times just to buy something on the card and worry about it later.
    The irony now that it’s paid and I’m not having to make monthly payments on it I have more money available and don’t need to use it, but its been a huge irritation to me over the years and I’ve wished many times that I’d never used it in the first place.

footflaps

We buy everything on a John Lewis CC for the vouchers, which we then struggle to think of things to spend them on. Did manage to spend £25 on a reading lamp the other month…..

5lab

I use a posh Amex card for free travel insurance, rental car insurance, lounge access and upgrades with hotels/hire cars – with the amount I travel it makes financial sense. A bunch of their cards are charge cards (the green/gold/platinum) so have to be paid off in full anyway.

I don’t see a problem with carrying a balance on cards over a couple of months, to buffer a gap (although I personally don’t) – some people have money coming in in bursts (eg bonus coming in 2 months after xmas) so something to a sort the gap makes sense. Carrying a balance year-on-year is probably a sign you need to review things

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

always spend credit card online, easier to put a hold on a bad transaction than have the money out of your bank account and try to get it back

Cougar

Point of note here for the “don’t spend what you don’t have” camp,

As others have mentioned, purchasing on credit card gives you additional protection. You can claim against the CC company if something goes wrong. But this also applies to partial purchases – so if you were buying say a £500 TV you could pay £499 in cash and £1 on the card and the card company will cover you for the full amount. It’s worth having for that reason alone.

I have several cards acquired over the years, I’ve lost count now. All are zero balance and unused except one which has a couple of grand on it. I could pay that off tomorrow if I wanted, but it’s on 0% interest for mumble years so the money is better off in my bank account earning what could laughably described as “interest.” Aside from that card, all the others are set up on Direct Debit to pay in full at the start of every month (if I used them, which I don’t).

There’s a notion that all debt is bad. This isn’t really true, but there is definitely good and bad debt. I’ve had both.

Like many, I learned the hard way. I got into trouble when I was younger and (more) foolish, a combination of an “ooh, free money” attitude and then losing by job meant that I maxed out a card with a limit of over ten grand (and also red-lined my overdraft). By the time I’d found employment again, the few days before my first pay cheque I was raiding the coppers jar to buy food. Over several years I managed to pay off the card – and it was a joyous day indeed when I did – and vowed never to be in that position again. Then I got married, mostly paid for on savings but a chunk across various cards. So I got a 0% balance transfer card and consolidated all the others onto it so that everything is in one place and not costing me anything, which is where the aforementioned balance came from. I’m happy with this.

Credit cards can be a very good thing used sensibly, but it’s easy to lose control if you’re not disciplined. Card providers don’t exactly help, I got a letter last week from one telling me they’d upped my limit (unsolicited). Even though I already have several cards, I have no doubts that if I applied for another new one today it’d be approved without question. If I maxed them all out I could probably put myself in well over £20K’s worth of debt, which is pretty scary.

charlielightamatch
    Free Member

I’m very disciplined with my cards but have been sooooo close to extravagant purchases for myself with them (E.g. new TV) it’s scary. I can totally see why people get carried away with them.

One good way of practising being disciplined with them it to get one on 0% for a single purchase and Cut up the card as soon as you’ve made the purchase

I did this with car insurance – total was £400 but paying monthly to the insurance co added a fair chunk of interest. Putting it on a 0% card and paying it off over 3-4 months meant I wasn’t paying it over a year and I had saved a decent amount in interest.

ayjaydoubleyou

Pretty much every penny I spend goes through mine. Paid off every month (so far). If my car does spew its guts on the road or the boiler goes cold, I can fix it then and there – yes I’ll pay a bit over the odds (cost of convenience and poor planning), but it beats walking to work and sitting in the cold until I can save.

As always those who truly need accessible credit – those far too poor to be on STW – are without it, leaving them to turn to Wonga or dodgy loansharks

toby1

This thread has brought a lot of people to the surface for paid off monthly type comments. But then the profile of the average MTBer is a middle-age guy in IT, so yeah likely they make a reasonable salary and therefore they can pay bills off.

Credit cards are generally a terrible way of borrowing unless managed well. For anyone who doesn’t use it, moneysavingexpert will direct you to some decent cheap deals if you need to move, and also goes with the questions, Can I afford it? Do I need it? etc etc for guidance on actually using the things.

Personally, I’ve had one since I was about 18, did build up a bit of balance, but nothing a few months of paying it off didn’t solve, lesson learnt, not really paid interest on one since.

rene59
    Free Member

have often had £20-30k worth of credit available to me at any point if I wanted to spend it. The temptation has been there at times just to buy something on the card and worry about it later.

I’m am certain I could get enough credit (cash transfers) and loans paid into my bank account almost instantly that I could just quit, pack up everything and set off bumming around like a hobo king the rest of my days and not pay any of it back. That’s a big temptation.

hooli

But then the profile of the average MTBer is a middle-age guy in IT, so yeah likely they make a reasonable salary and therefore they can pay bills off.

Do you think this is the case or do you think middle-age IT guys just drive more expensive cars, have families, ride fancy bikes and live in slightly bigger houses so still spend most of what they earn?

Genuine question BTW, not having a dig. I earn double what I did in my first job (that’s not a brag, more an indication of how poorly paid my first job was) and I still have very little left once I have paid for “essentials”.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Are they actually the majority in the world though? Or am I just a complete failure?

its just people have different priorities.
    i have been self employed all my life and seen recessions come and go and my income vary massively.
    if there is another recession tomorrow or a no deal brexit i’ll be o.k. for a year if i pull the drawbridge up and cut any unnecessary spending.

you have fast motorbike toys and hire Ferraris to drive round the alps?
    not something i would contemplate if i felt the future outlook was uncertain but everyone has different circumstances and outlooks.

i have a credit card, dont think i have ever not paid it off, have sometimes used a ‘flexiloan’ on my current account but thats because of cash flow or waiting for a tax year to end before paying myself or moving home and paying out for lots of things at once. the money is there to pay for things, it’s just not in my current account at the exact moment i need it.

never stuck anything unnecessary on a credit card though.

footflaps

We were in the ‘pay it off each month’ camp until last year when our rental flat tenant stopped paying rent.
    8 months later with no rent, court/legal fees for the eviction and a complete redecoration

Yep, we had that on the Wife’s old flat, utter nightmare, probably cost £5k in all, if not more. Plus days off work for court, serving eviction notices, changing locks etc…

ta11pau1

As others have mentioned, purchasing on credit card gives you additional protection. You can claim against the CC company if something goes wrong. But this also applies to partial purchases – so if you were buying say a £500 TV you could pay £499 in cash and £1 on the card and the card company will cover you for the full amount. It’s worth having for that reason alone.

Yep, if you’re buying a used car, put the deposit on a CC then the rest pay however, that means the whole purchase is protected by the cc company so long as the deposit is over £100.

Cougar

Oh? I didn’t realise there was a minimum limit. How’s that calculated?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Credit cards’ is closed to new replies.