• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Credit card protection?
  • milky1980
    Free Member

Any experts on how this works? I know it protects you against goods that don’t show up etc, but does it apply in this case:

Driving down to Morzine for some Alps-based fun three weeks ago my alternator packs up on the car. Get towed to a local Renault garage who I instruct to get it fixed while I enjoy my biking. Pick the car up a few days later, pay the bill on the credit card and all is good. On the drive back I notice an eggy smell through the vents, but think nothing of it.

Today, the car conks out on the M4 with the dash saying the battery isn’t charging and the eggy smell now suddenly very strong. Pop the bonnet and the battery (which they replaced) is smoking slightly. Call the AA out and they take one look at it and say I was lucky the battery didn’t explode!! The eggy smell is the acid turning to gas, which is explosive and poisonous!!
    They measure the alternator output and find it to be 18 volts, way above the maximum 14.5 volts it should be. The alternator fitted by the French garage is obviously faulty or wrong.

Can I claim back the money I spent on the original repair (nearly 400 euros!!!) via the credit card company (Barclaycard if that makes any difference) or do I write the cash off as unlucky?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The topic ‘Credit card protection?’ is closed to new replies.