Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Creative pricing (in the bike industry)
  • vlad_the_invader

These are real*, not imagined!

(1) Selling an e-bike without a battery (as the battery is “optional”). And not telling the punter until they turned up to pick up their new bike.

(2) Selling a complete bike but supplying the bike un-built so the buyer either has to pay the LBS $$$ for full build labour or spend several hours of their own time assembling the parts.

What other scams do I need to be aware when looking for my next bike?

* The first example was from a FB page and, apparently, the bike manufacturer had three different sizes of batteries available so they price the batteries separately…

bigginge

Where the hell do you plan on buying your bike from to be worrying about that sort of stuff?

kelvin

apparently, the bike manufacturer had three different sizes of batteries available so they price the batteries separately…

That sounds like a really good idea. [ if made very clear when buying ]

Plus delivering bikes with batteries has all sorts of complications.

What other scams do I need to be aware when looking for my next bike?

Never buy a bike, or anything else, via Facebook. They do nothing to keep their ads or marketplace clean.

ayjaydoubleyou

The first example was from a FB page and, apparently, the bike manufacturer had three different sizes of batteries available so they price the batteries separately…

was this a really whiney entitled american retiree who wanted a full suspension bike for cruising on a bike path? I remember a story like that going around about a year or so ago.

In the world of online sales, I think this is the new way business “trick” the search engines. If bike As base price is cheaper than B because they list it with no battery, it looks favourable on the top row of google shopping. the extras dont go in until you get to the basket. and they hope youre already invested enough that you dont actually go back and check what the on the road price of bike B was.

dyna-ti

I’d a funny break down in comms yesterday trying to get a missing part for a dust extractor I’ve just bought(Axminster trade AT50E for anyone thats interested)

Its a wall mounted affair, and while the part of the wall mount that goes on the machine was there, the part you bolt to the wall was not.

The conversation centered around the wording of  the wall mount fixing point. He said it wasnt included, I said it was, and had to be as its a wall mounted extractor, so you need the wall mount or its an anything mount. In the end sorted it out as they thought I meant the screws, not the mount itself. Funny though on my end them initially saying ‘oh thats not included’ 😆

vlad_the_invader

Where the hell do you plan on buying your bike from to be worrying about that sort of stuff?

First incident (allegedly) is a local bike shop that is the main supplier for a couple of hardtails I have on my “potentials” list (though that list if VERY long at the moment!). I’m not buying an ebike so I’ve swerved that con…

The second is a brand I’ve had two bikes from previously so remain on their marketing email list. But this “build your own bike” scam is a new thing…

In the world of online sales, I think this is the new way business “trick” the search engines

You’re probably right! And they also trick consumers 🤨

mjsmke

My local bike shop didnt charge any labour to build my bike up. They even found a couple of ex demo parts to help keep the total price down.

goldfish24

These are real*, not imagined!

Oh, in real life!?!?

* The first example was from a FB page and, apparently,

Oh. Apparently. From Facebook. Move on.

nickjb
    Free Member

Having an option to buy without batteries sounds good. You can buy power tools like that. Works out much better. Would make even more sense if they used batteries common with other bikes. Obviously they have to clearly state what it comes with for this to be fair.

zerocool

If you’re buying on FB then don’t give them
    Any money until your examined the bike and it’s physically in your hands.

mert
    Free Member

But this “build your own bike” scam is a new thing…

Only if you think 30+ years is recent history.

I’ve had a few over the years.

Mostly from smaller manufacturers/importers.

BruceWee

Anytime I’ve bought a supposedly built and checked bike from a shop (both online as well as brick and mortar) some more checking by me once I’ve gotten it home has reveled some re-building is required before I’d want to ride it.

I’d be quite happy to cut out the 15 year old work experience bike ‘mechanic’ building my bike for me.

z1ppy

First incident (allegedly) is a local bike shop that is the main supplier for a couple of hardtails I have on my “potentials” list. I’m not buying an ebike so I’ve swerved that con…

@vlad_the_invader
    it was an FB advert, but then it’s a local bike shop? Could at least name both brands, so that ppl can be informed? No point in moaning about a ‘con’ or underhand marketing, then not naming the brand.

mert
    Free Member

Anytime I’ve bought a supposedly built and checked bike from a shop (both online as well as brick and mortar) some more checking by me once I’ve gotten it home has reveled some re-building is required before I’d want to ride it.

I’d be quite happy to cut out the 15 year old work experience bike ‘mechanic’ building my bike for me.

TBH, it’s not just the 15 year old work experience kid.
    I’ve had stuff from time served shop mechanics that was *way* below what was acceptable. And from major brands, direct from the factory.
    “Handbuilt by John, just need to turn the bars, fit the pedals and front wheel.”

Yeah, no.
    Would be acceptable from a stack it high sell it cheap place, but the last one was a 7 or 8 grand carbon bike from a prestige US based manufacturer, actually assembled in the US. I’ve had a couple of Canyons that needed adjustment as well, but you kind of expect that when they are undercutting the competition by more than 25%.

dirkpitt74

Building a bike isn’t rocket surgery…..

matt_outandabout

Define “building a bike” for me.

If it’s popping front wheel, bars & stem on, pedals on and seatpost & saddle inserted, then we’re all good. Pretty standard.

If you receive 25+ boxes and have to fully connect brakes, mount tyres, run cables etc, then I’ve never heard of this.

scotroutes

If you receive 25+ boxes and have to fully connect brakes, mount tyres, run cables etc, then I’ve never heard of this

That’s how my 9zero7 arrived from Alaska

matt_outandabout

That’s how my 9zero7 arrived from Alaska

Crazy ‘mericans.

OP – a further question then – are these UK brands and stories, or are you reading things from elsewhere?

BruceWee

Define “building a bike” for me.

Any activity that would void your Giant warranty.

vlad_the_invader

Crazy ‘mericans.

OP – a further question then – are these UK brands and stories, or are you reading things from elsewhere?

The second story relates to Knolly and that’s is now their method in Canada though I have no idea what their UK distributor does.

vlad_the_invader

@vlad_the_invader it was an FB advert, but then it’s a local bike shop? Could at least name both brands, so that ppl can be informed? No point in moaning about a ‘con’ or underhand marketing, then not naming the brand.

No, not a FB advert. It was just being discussed in a mountain bike related group. I’m not mentioning names as I have no idea who was right (the shop or the punter) – however, looking at the website currently it DOES say for one of their models that the battery is sold separately. So whether the shop have now made it more clear or the punter didn’t pay attention, we’ll never know…

mert
    Free Member

then I’ve never heard of this.

It’s been going on at least since my first stint in a bike shop, up until autumn 2022.

So 33 years.

walleater

Norco sold their E-bikes with a choice of three batteries for a couple of years. It was obvious on their website.
    Plenty of brands ship bikes as a bare frame and a load of parts. I’d say its more to do with logistics than peeling off customers so they can complain on social media. Given how bad some factory builds can be, I’m not sure its 100% a bad thing !

suspendedanimation
    Free Member

Planet x did the bike in parts thing a few years back for a huge discount. Don’t see the issue, if you know about it.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.