Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Creating a bike van, crew cab conversion question.
  • Tracker1972
    Free Member

At some point I may be purchasing a van to make shifting bikes easier, two mates have a new shape combi and an LDV pilot between them but I fancy something tall enough to stand up in to change and possibly hold bikes vertically but my main question is, is adding a row of seats a difficult thing to do, ermmm, legally?
    Do you have to re-register the vehicle, or have it inspected, or someting else?
    Oh and if you have any inspiring advice about holding bikes vertically in the van (like “don’t go there, I did and my hamster died” or “yea, here is a picture of my solution”) feel free to chip in, pics and all.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I got a LWB med high transitdecided against extra seats but I have heard if you can get them and the bolting points are exposed you can just clip them in and go (Seat belts are on the seats)

As for bikes I normally store them crossways in the back but for long journeys like Alps trips where we had a fair amount of stuff crated up I popped the front wheels out and used strong bungies to hook the fork/bars to the top of the panels in the back. Worked fine.

Before I got it I looked up the dimensions on the web and “planned it out” just to get an idea of space as I was also sticking a bed in.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

After we went to Wales in the LDV’s inaugural big trip we had front wheels off but 3 bikes top to tail and upside down (if that makes sense) and all our shit for a two day trip basically filled the rest of the van.
    It was great for a regular ride, shove bikes in whole but the “bigger van = more shit” rule came in for the trip.
    So trying to see if it would be possible to get to “bigger van = don’t own enough shit” break even point (within some kind of reason, the van would be my main vehicle as well).
    It was much better getting 3 of us in one vehicle rather than van + car though, so maybe getting greedy now.
    Any other ideas? Had thought about the front wheel off, held up by forks with a fastening method but fancy whole bike staying whole, if possible.

Xan
    Free Member

you will need to re register it with the dvla and inform your insurance. I have a funny feeling that they make you put in side window after a certain age. Depending on how many seats you add it might change the class. Another 3 shouldn.t be a problem but and more than 9 in total you could be in trouble. Why not look at a land rover 130 hi cap crew cab. There is a company down south that i can find out the name of that sells them with a full roof that will take about 5 bikes and all your gear plus 4 on the roof. As for mounting why not buy a few of those stands that your lbs use 4 displays and use small ratchet straps to secure them to the wheel.

steveh

Bikes in the back of my vans have always gone vertically in the back, on their wheels. I just use ratchet straps (not bungees!) round however many to pull them to the side they are leaning on.

Getting rear seats fitted needs to be done properly, you’ll hear many bodges about using the tie down points etc but how would you feel if you hurt a friend in an accident having done it on the cheap? You do need to inform your insurance and my preimum went up slightly because of it (more people to hurt and hence sue in an accident I’m told). I’ve never heard anything about needing windows.

If you’re not fussy about what you drive then why not get an ex post office ldv convoy with seats already in? It’ll be a 7 seater with loads of space behind and tall enough to stand up in. From about £2-3k by the looks of it.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Ex post office crew cab is quite possible (and saves a job) but wanted to know if it is feasible to convert a normal van properly, am fairly conscientious like that.
    By vertically I meant on back wheel, front pointing at sky, to leave more floor space for crap, getting changed, sleeping etc. If it’s high enough would want to make use of it although for an evening/day trip with less stuff would just lean them against the sides and bungee them to the sides (‘cos I have them although if I was kitting it out, ratchets would probably mean less faffing with wrapping them up).

epicyclo

Have you considered starting from the base of a large MPV – it’s got all the bits you want, and instead of adding stuff, you simply remove.

I have had a number of goes at this – looking for the ideal vehicle, carry bikes in one piece, comfort for a few passengers, carry heaps of camping gear.

My current option is the most successful. I bought an old Renault Espace. It’s got galvanised frame, fibreglass body, so the only worry is the mechanicals. The seats unclip easily, so most of the time it’s got only 4 seats in it and it’s dead easy to chuck the bikes in the back. It is much easier to park and turn than my VW LT45 which I still have, but now never use. 🙂 The front seats spin round and one of the rear seats folds into a table, so it’s good for eating in too)

Mine is pretty ancient (1996) and I bought it as a temporary measure to see if I would like the smaller vehicle. The idea was if it worked out I’d get rid of it and buy a new one. However I realised I wasn’t getting any flak from she who must be obeyed about the mud etc in it (which I would in a new one) so I have just spent £1000+ on upgrading the suspension, new tyres etc – probably twice as much as it’s worth but I end up with a known quantity 🙂

It’s hard to find anyone with a good word about Renaults, but this is a platform that will last forever if maintained (never rust), and all the common problems are minor niggles, not major. The big clincher is that they are dirt cheap – spend a bit of money on fixing an old one and you get a good car.

Much the same could go for most of the larger MPVs, but all those I looked at had rust issues unless I was willing to spend big. (I know you can’t stand up in them but I willing sacrificed that for the safer handling in high winds)

takisawa2

epicyclo…I like your take on this issue & have always thought along those lines. Something like THIS should offer a good base as a bike carrier / regular transport.

Xan
    Free Member

read up about back windows and when yot bed there it classes your van as a car. This means that you don’t pay vat on it and will probably make insurance cheaper because it not a commercial vehicle but don’t quote me on that. Seams that the person fitting them needs 2 be certified for insurance purposes

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Ah, Scarborough and Filey were nice, anyway, I am keen on something high enough to stand in, space to get changed that does not need clearing of other stuff and, if required, sleeping space. Never that bothered about getting changed in semi-public but would like a van rather than windowed thing to make it less likely to get me into bother (as a male primary school teacher it would not take too many people complaining to start getting uncomfortable!).

cbike
    Free Member

xan! see me after class! (he is sort of right but hopefully he doesn’t work for the CAB!!!)

Its VOSA not DVLA to get it replated/V5 updated. Nothing will get you into trouble if its done well and correctly, it’s just inspection, administration, and testing fees.

I suggest a telecoms or rail van. They will already have heaters, sinks and storage and seats in them and they are not ragged stupid like the post office vans. They mostly sit parked up all day. Also avoid anything with a towing diff. Check for disintigrating Dual mass Flywheels and not just on Transits either!

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Check for disintigrating Dual mass Flywheels

I will try and find someone who understands that and can do it 🙂
    Ex railway or telecoms is a good idea, not sure about telecoms not being ragged about though, ours at Telewest used to get some hammer. Am sure Virgin media are much more professional though, and BT employees are much calmer.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Been off to Autotrader and seen this beastie that looks more than capable of shifting some gear and providing some unexpected mod cons, microwave? Hot and cold running water? I cannot get one yet, just fishing for ideas but it looks pretty good if thats what you want (which I do).

cbike
    Free Member

My chum has just bought one of those exact vehicles! but older. His conversion for motorcycle transport is here. His gearbox broke but thats rare and he did ignore it despite being told by the wise.

http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=37325

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Creating a bike van, crew cab conversion question.’ is closed to new replies.