Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Creaky Cranks – What am I doing wrong!?
  • fitnessischeating
    Free Member

So my bikes about a year old and was a standard full build bike.

My cranks (SLX’s) developed some fairly nasty creaking sounds, so I checked the bolts and all seemed ok…

I took everything appart, and put it back together again, but think I overtightend the pre-load, seemed fine on the test ride up the road, but next time I went riding properly the noise was back!

I decided it was probably the bottom bracket (SLX standad screw thread), and I had accelerated this by overtightening the pre-load, as luck would have it, I had a new SLX double groupset spare (bought for a new build that didnt happen) so I decided to replace the bottom bracket, with the one from that, and for good measure I would change the crankset round as well, and fit a stinger whilst I was at it…

Was very careful to not overtighten the pre-load but the creaking sound reappeared on my ride at the weekend, you could hear it with the bike still and pushing the crank arm with the foot…

Upon cleaning and lubing the bike afterwards, no creaking with the bike static and pushing the crank arm…

Its doing my head in!

What have I dont/not done in my ignorance to mess this up!?

Is this a good excuse to buy a new bike 😉

andyl
    Free Member

are you sure it’s not something else like your saddle rail clamp? Creaking noises travel around a frame and mislead you about their origin.

bam74
    Free Member

+1 for something else. I had the same problem, turned out it was my pedals.

chriswilk
    Free Member

I had this and the problem for me was some play in the BB threads in the frame.
    Remove BB and smear liberal amounts of copper slip on threads, then replace. Solved my creak for good until a few weeks ago when I fitted a new BB/chainset and forgot add the copper slip…
    Reminds me I need to do that tonight.

freeagent
    Free Member

+2 as others have said – I had the same issue which turned out to be pedals.

I’m also chasing a creaking sound on my Hybrid, which initially I tought was the BB, but now begining to think it might be the headset.

dantsw13

I had a cannondale saddle that creaked at the rails – infuriating!! That sounded like bb too initially.

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

My old Blur (pre grease ports) used to do something similar. It turned out that it was the bottom pivots way of saying I need a service. Funnily enough, never had an issue on new Blur. Also recall a friend many years ago – we stripped cranks, BB & rings & eventually discovered there was no lube on seatpost. Quick smear of grease & creaking gone.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Does it do it standing up? If not look at your seatpost and saddle. If it does look at pedals, front mech clamp and check your rear dropouts are clean etc.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I am appreciating the ideas guys…

the seatpost idea is a possibility as, thinking about it, it has conincided with me taking off a KS lev to send back under warranty, and a reverb going in..

however it was most deffinately making the noise when I was stood next to the bike and pushing down on the pedals, and did sound like the crank “area”…

the pivots I think are unlikley as there is no noise when cycling the suspension.

I see sadly no-one has suggesting buying a new bike, thats a blow! 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Creaky Cranks – What am I doing wrong!?’ is closed to new replies.