• This topic has 9 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by fossy.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Creaking …. try grease shock mounts…?
  • jeb

Hello

I greased the headset bearings, stem, all things in cockpit of my bike…. if I stand and press on the handlebar no sounds, but rolling and pressing on either side of handlebar it makes creaking noise…. should I try to grease the shock mounts ? … and finally maybe take the rear triangle off and grease the bearings and pivots….

the bike:

https://theradavist.com/pushing-and-punishing-pivots-insatiable-mach-6-carbon-27-5-trail-mtb/

Matt_SS_xc

Have you greased or replaced the headset bearings? Mine felt fine, replaced and creak has gone….

mashr

should I try to grease the shock mounts ?

No. They aren’t meant to be greased, so greasing them is just more likely to attract dirt, wear them out faster and possibly creak too

StirlingCrispin

I cured a similar creak by removing and greasing the disc caliper mounting bolts (albeit I needed the brakes on to get the noise).

Cables ?

jeb

i lubed all the cable ports …!

But should I try grease the shock mounts ?

spawnofyorkshire

Chainring bolts?
    That turned out to be the recent source of my creak
    Others in the past
    Seat clamp
    Bolts in my bottle cage
    Pedal bearings
    Stem bolts

pembo6
    Free Member

A few suggestions. My bike has had plenty of creaks over the years. It has always sounded like headset or BB, but it has always ended up being something else.
    1) chainring bolts not tight enough.
    2) one of the suspension pivots needed grease. That one took me forever to find!
    3) bottom of the dropper post was slightly rubbing on the inside of the seat tube. This one also took me forever to find. A chunk of grease fixed it.

lawman91

Grease your through axles. I spent literally months trying to track down a creak on my Spur. New BB, new freehub, new headset bearings, full frame bearing swap, all to no avail. Greased both thru axles and the noise disappeared… Rarely have I felt so relieved but so annoyed at the same time!

scruff
    Free Member

Ive had a stem creak against the headset spacer.

fossy

One thing with the stem, remove stem and check there aren’t any black marks on the steerer from the headset compression washer. I had a road bike that did this – the micro movements between the compression washer and the stam would ‘mark’ the steerer with aluminium deposits that were black. Wire wool on both parts and a clean up, re-grease, and it would be OK for 12 months, then start again – this was a daily use bike)

Same happens with plastic road cleats, you get aluminium marks on the plastic, and after time, this causes the pedals/cleat to creak.

Rear pivot bearings are prone to creak too due to lack of movement.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.