Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Creaking Pikes, will loctite help?
  • scruff
    Free Member

Seems to be normal creaky crown steerer issue, they were second hand. Have read loctite 290 or a retaining compound can help.
    Anyone used something like this successfully?

chakaping
    Free Member

Hope this isn’t a silly question but have you already greased your headset, axles and other potentially creaky parts?

I only ask as I thought I had the dreaded creaky CSU a while ago but it turned out to be something else running a bit dry.

legend
    Free Member

Loctite 638 bearing retainer is what you want here, completely silenced mine

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Onzadog
    Free Member

Are both top caps torqued to 28Nm? Mine seem to have a habit of unscrewing themselves. They creak when they come loose.

fathomer

Make sure the air cap is nice and tight, apparently that’s the cause of a lot of peoples creaks.

Edit: ^^ beat me by 19 seconds!

scruff
    Free Member

It’s definitely the fork, had it off the bike and in the vice. Will nip the top caps up and see before trying the loctite, cheers.

scruff
    Free Member

28nm seems high torque.

jimthesaint

where do you apply the loctite?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yep, but it’s what the manual says and it stops them creaking.

scruff
    Free Member

Big adjustable job then. Jim, if tightening the caps doesn’t work I’ll turn the bike over, clean and drip the loctite on bottom of crown steerer join. I guess you could try the top join aswell once the race is off.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s not that tricky to achieve. Normal open ended spanner or socket will suffice.

scruff
    Free Member

Bugger. Still creaking. Will try the loctite.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Let us know how the loctite goes. Mine were making a horrible noise in Italy last year, more of a crack than a creak and no warranty option.
    I looked at all options form a new CSU, to having it rebonded, neither being cheap. Luckily I managed to get a second hand CSU at a good price and no issues so far.

scruff
    Free Member

Tried 638 on the crown/steerer join with fork thoroughly clean, left for 24 hours. Didn’t work 🙁
    Have stripped all the front end cleaned and used grease on everything apart from bar/stem/steerer and it has mostly gone but still something there. Even tried swapping the carbon bars for aluminium just to see.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Creaking Pikes, will loctite help?’ is closed to new replies.